Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

8 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think the Rams & Commanders are evidence that spending too much time on a rebrand just leads to overthinking and convoluted designs.

I think another factor common to both is not knowing when to not change things up. Both the Rams and Washington had iconic elements of their brands before their redesigns (for the Rams: the helmet horn, for Washington: the dual-stripe was unique to them, and both color schemes were great), but nothing was sacred in either redesign.

Both seemed like the design teams felt the need to change pretty much everything about their brands, even the parts that worked & didn't need to be messed with. The end result is that neither team feels part of the same franchise they were before the redesign (with Washington, this was obviously more intentional, but the end result still doesn't turn out well for them).

Also, how much better would the home uniform look with gold pants:

tnu0pJv.jpg

• Like 14
  • WOAH 1

Why is 17 flexing in an unnatural way in every single picture?  Dude looks ridiculous.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

The more I sit with this the more this becomes my least favorite set in the NFL. 

At least when the Titans wear light blue pants, Falcons don’t go monochrome and the Jaguars emphasize teal, the colors make the sets tolerable and I still like all their helmet logos.  

This only has 1 combo I can tolerate (Burgundy/White/Burgundy, unless gold pants are actually a tangible thing), a helmet with a crappy logo with a terrifying alternative option and pants and socks with the least personality in the NFL. 

I just can’t see how it’s not 32nd out of 32. The Jags’ are oppressively boring, but even that is better than garbage. The Titans’ are awful, even without monochrome, but as was pointed out earlier, I think a lot of the dissatisfaction with the Titans uniforms come from how much of a missed opportunity they are. I don’t think the Falcons’ are all that terrible. The Jets look like a DIII school but again are more of a fault of being oppressively boring, and I’ll take that over a legit 0/10 set every time. I think the only set in the entire league that comes close is the Cardinals, but even with how overdesigned and overpiped those are, they at least don’t take a dump on team tradition and everything a football uniform should be. 

My current bottom 5 rankings (whole uniform set, so helmets included; based on the combo the team wears most often):

28. Jets
29. Titans
30. Jags
31. Cardinals

32. 32s Football Team RedWolves Snyders Commanders

• Like 4

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Survival79 said:

These can't be real, right?

"The black number outline and stripe on the sleeve paved the way for the black alternate jersey."

Se5HYHg.png

YI9yQTK.png

tHieSYB.png

Oh Lord. I hate these even more.

12 hours ago, nuordr said:

I just found another issue with the rebrand. Apparently, the team put the wrong years in their secondary logo for years they won the Super Bowl. 

1983 should be 1982

1998 should be 1987

1992 should be 1991

spacer.png

They can't get anything right. I get the point for the years, but I like subtle references, like in the Islanders logo. It's just too many elements going on in this logo. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

10 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Boy, the NBA really wanted a team called the Dragons in the '90s/'00s. The Raptors, Grizzlies, and Bobcats almost went with it, and the Nets nearly rebranded as the New Jersey Swamp Dragons.

I will never get over the fact that every team in the league voted to approve that name change, except the Nets themselves!

• Like 8
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

1 hour ago, panthers_2012 said:

Oh Lord. I hate these even more.

They can't get anything right. I get the point for the years, but I like subtle references, like in the Islanders logo. It's just too many elements going on in this logo. 

Judging by those graphics WTF used an in house designer (ie someone's kid)  and an online uniform builder. It all makes sense now.

13 hours ago, GFB said:

I can't say it enough, but there's a difference between something being mandated to you and how you choose to go about solving that issue with design. The Colts were given the same dilemma with their graphite color and chose to make the Nike swoosh grey on the road uniforms... which was not an ideal design solution, but it solved the problem a helluva lot better than just replacing all the gold with black like the Commanders did.

Anvil Black*

(So, even worse & more illogical, since black had never before been part of the Colts' color scheme...also rather surprising that Indy has yet to introduce an alternate 'BFBS' uniform based solely upon the addition of said shade.)

17 hours ago, Cujo said:

All they had do to was this.

FKsQ9veXsAIBYLj?format=jpg&name=360x360

FKsQ9vgXoAAOc2C?format=jpg&name=360x360

FKsQ9viXwAYxNKf?format=jpg&name=360x360

Apparently — at least according to that one Washington head honcho's recent remarks — an alternate black uniform attire would not have been permitted in this particular set, since there does not appear to be even a slight bit of black smidgens present anywhere else upon the two primary (designated home & road distinction) jerseys.

Granted, keeping the black far away from those, and thus eliminating any form of black alternate whatsoever would certainly not be a bad thing!

Still, this specific example does look a lot better, despite the fact that the numbers would probably be difficult to read at a distance. 

Additionally, even with such a caveat, another positive is that your version strays & stays away from becoming some awful attempt at a straight-up Steelers 'Color Rush' ripoff.

Clearly, you have avoided this simply by steering clear of any genuinely goofy gaffes, like that of elevating black & gold levels to equally dominant status throughout an entire ensemble, whilst simultaneously being sans burgundy — which was a truly baffling decision on the behalf of Nike + "DC" during their collective design process.

• Like 1

I just realized the generic WFT identity was better than this. Hilarious.

Including (and especially) the W itself. And why ruin the iconic helmet stripe for good? WTF WFT. 

• Like 4

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins