NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

3 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Maybe if you un-italicize the numbers and scale down the logo a little it could work as a modern look. Maybe combine the Bledsoe look with the 1993 look.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Or just go back to these as the throwback . @LightsOut always thought these were great, and I thought the red numbers were a bad choice, but on an HDTV the red numbers would work pretty well. 

The Pro Bowl jersey that the AFC wore (specifically the Pats) definitely seemed to tie in to this, making it look nostalgically charming. 

A lively Mac Jones was at the center of the NFL's mic'd up Pro Bowl video

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Possibly an unpopular opinion. The Bledsoe era uniforms are the best in Patriots history! The Brady era unis were a downgrade, the red jersey/Pat Patriot unis are overrated, and the current unis are a just a lame mashup of those two eras.

Season 5 Whatever GIF by Paramount+

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

5 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

Lol you cannot seriously convince me that the Bledsoe-era unis weren’t the worst in football for the time that they were used, maybe barely edged out by the Broncos by the time they moved on to Brady-era. 

B34-F03-F1-DC81-45-DD-8210-B1-D39-B4-C54

Gotta agree here. To me the fact that the Bledsoe-era uniforms are loved now is one of the best examples of 90’s nostalgia blinding people I can think of. I just cannot reconcile those huge Flying Elvis’s on the shoulders. If a team released those uniforms today this board would crash from the amount of people coming in to pile on it and talk about how it’s the worst football uniform ever created. And before you say that’s because there would be no history associated with it, whereas the Bledsoes have history associated with the uniform, that’s essentially the definition of nostalgia. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Possibly an unpopular opinion. The Bledsoe era uniforms are the best in Patriots history! The Brady era unis were a downgrade, the red jersey/Pat Patriot unis are overrated, and the current unis are a just a lame mashup of those two eras.

Season 5 Whatever GIF by Paramount+

Now that sleeve numbers aren't required, they could simply put Elvis on the shoulders, which would be very redundant with the helmet Elvis right there, but not a big deal.  I'd welcome that back with open arms - even if in darker blue.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, Froob said:

I really hope Patriots announce ahead of time when they are wearing them so I can try to make it.

Same. I live in Minneapolis and go to one game a year. When they wear these will determine what game i go to this year.

• Like 1

Is the Eagles now-former wordmark included in the logo slick as a "jersey-only" logo since it'll be on the jersey for up to two more seasons?  While it's the Eagles own fault for knowing the rules and messing up their timing (or, not messing it up but just planning poorly), it seems like a minor-enough change to be allowed to get done after this season.  Not sure the manufacturers would need much lead time to put a different little patch under the collar.  I more feel for all the fans that just bought AJ Brown, Reddick, and Dean jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Crabcake said:

Gotta agree here. To me the fact that the Bledsoe-era uniforms are loved now is one of the best examples of 90’s nostalgia blinding people I can think of. I just cannot reconcile those huge Flying Elvis’s on the shoulders. If a team released those uniforms today this board would crash from the amount of people coming in to pile on it and talk about how it’s the worst football uniform ever created. And before you say that’s because there would be no history associated with it, whereas the Bledsoes have history associated with the uniform, that’s essentially the definition of nostalgia. 

I have an authentic Starter Bledsoe jersey and the big logos are probably my favorite part. The number font kinda sucked but Starter used it fir the Carolina Hurricanes too (it wasn’t great for the Pats if you notice how old replica jerseys, video games, and now M&N jerseys never use the font correct font, save for the 1’s), the different mesh stripes were unneeded (Starter did it because solely because they could, and did it with Virginia Tech’s unis too in the 90s). The big logos were a product of the 90s (see: Cowboys 1994 unis) but really, the big Pats logo wasn’t much different than the Chargers lightning stripes. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, CDCLT said:

My ideal Pats would be an updated Pat Patriot as the primary logo, with a Tricorn hat as the helmet logo. It could be either Eagles-style or what they did the first go-round, with the hat over numbers.

The over-detailing isn't the only problem I have with it. I just don't like the shape of it or really anything about it.  Logos almost always look better wider instead of taller. Add how tall it is to how awkward of a shape it is and it doesn't hold a candle to their current logo. Not that the current logo is perfect, but it's by far their best in franchise history.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I have an authentic Starter Bledsoe jersey and the big logos are probably my favorite part. The number font kinda sucked but Starter used it fir the Carolina Hurricanes too (it wasn’t great for the Pats if you notice how old replica jerseys, video games, and now M&N jerseys never use the font correct font, save for the 1’s), the different mesh stripes were unneeded (Starter did it because solely because they could, and did it with Virginia Tech’s unis too in the 90s). The big logos were a product of the 90s (see: Cowboys 1994 unis) but really, the big Pats logo wasn’t much different than the Chargers lightning stripes. 

As a side note, I'd kill for the Hurricanes to bring back those numbers. So much more unique and full of character than their narrow, bland keyboard font they use currently.

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

Now that sleeve numbers aren't required, they could simply put Elvis on the shoulders, which would be very redundant with the helmet Elvis right there, but not a big deal.  I'd welcome that back with open arms - even if in darker blue.

I don't get how it's redudant to have the logo on the sleeves just because it's on the helmet. It doesn't appear anywhere else on the jersey. The numbers are already in two other places on the jersey alone. Someone who's a number like 88 would have 8 8's on their jersey. That's not redundant?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Dislike 2

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

5 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I don't get how it's redudant to have the logo on the sleeves just because it's on the helmet. It doesn't appear anywhere else on the jersey. The numbers are already in two other places on the jersey alone. Someone who's a number like 88 would have 8 8's on their jersey. That's not redundant?

Other than numbers being required on a jersey.

So no, having eight 8s on a jersey isn’t redundant. They’ve relaxed some rules where four of the 8s aren’t required. Still not redundant with what’s left, because it’s required. Logos on jerseys are most definitely not required. So yes, it is redundant for logos to appear on both helmet and jersey.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

Lol you cannot seriously convince me that the Bledsoe-era unis weren’t the worst in football for the time that they were used, maybe barely edged out by the Broncos by the time they moved on to Brady-era. 

The uniform they had before with the mismatched number colors was the worst. This was one of their better looks.

1994 CLASSIC NFL DRAFT DREW BLEDSOE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS #99 | eBayDrew Bledsoe 2019 Donruss Football 48 Card Lot New England Patriots #169

It's much better than the previous uniform that the current kit replaced, by a mile. 

Chris Hogan, Patriots Reportedly Discussing New Contract Ahead of Free  Agency | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

How the New England Patriots defense is making modern NFL history (Film  review) | Andrew Callahan - masslive.com

The side striping that never matched the pants, just not a good look. It's only saving grace is that is what was worn when they won Super Bowls. 

19 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Maybe if you un-italicize the numbers and scale down the logo a little it could work as a modern look. Maybe combine the Bledsoe look with the 1993 look.

spacer.png

I think those pants with the jerseys that replaced these would be the best look for the Patriots, with the current helmet logo.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, having the same logo on both the helmet and jersey is absolutely redundant. That’s kind of the literal definition of redundant. You can say that you don’t mind, or you like it anyway, or you enjoy a good redundancy now and then… that’s cool. 

I would say it's visually repetitive as the logos occupy adjacent space and could often be viewed at the same time. To me, redundant would be to place one helmet decal on top of another.

3 minutes ago, guest23 said:

I would say it's visually repetitive as the logos occupy adjacent space and could often be viewed at the same time. To me, redundant would be to place one helmet decal on top of another.

Definition of redundant

1a : exceeding what is necessary or normal : superfluous. b : characterized by or containing an excess specifically : using more words than necessary.

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Other than numbers being required on a jersey.

So no, having eight 8s on a jersey isn’t redundant. They’ve relaxed some rules where four of the 8s aren’t required. Still not redundant with what’s left, because it’s required. Logos on jerseys are most definitely not required. So yes, it is redundant for logos to appear on both helmet and jersey.

Now that the TV numbers aren't required, that point is moot. Any team that puts them on the sleeves is choosing to do so. When the numbers are already on the jersey two other times.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, having the same logo on both the helmet and jersey is absolutely redundant. That’s kind of the literal definition of redundant. You can say that you don’t mind, or you like it anyway, or you enjoy a good redundancy now and then… that’s cool. 

This point makes no sense. I mean, the Saints have a gold helmet. Does that make it redundant for them to have gold anywhere on their jerseys? What about pants stripes matching the helmet stripes? Why do you need the same striping pattern in two places? It's their logo, it should be prominent. And even if you want to say it being redundant is a valid reason not to use it on the sleeves, numbers are even more redundant. At least you have to travel to a different piece of equipment to find the logo. The numbers already exist multiple other, massive places on the jerseys. They also just aren't a good shape for the space.

I think the argument works somewhat if you're advocating for sleeve stripes. They aren't redundant and look good most of the time. But numbers on the sleeve add no team branding, look bad, and are even more redundant than the logo.

• LOL 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

2 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Now that the TV numbers aren't required, that point is moot. Any team that puts them on the sleeves is choosing to do so. When the numbers are already on the jersey two other times.

This point makes no sense. I mean, the Saints have a gold helmet. Does that make it redundant for them to have gold anywhere on their jerseys? What about pants stripes matching the helmet stripes? Why do you need the same striping pattern in two places? It's their logo, it should be prominent. And even if you want to say it being redundant is a valid reason not to use it on the sleeves, numbers are even more redundant. At least you have to travel to a different piece of equipment to find the logo. The numbers already exist multiple other, massive places on the jerseys. They also just aren't a good shape for the space.

I think the argument works somewhat if you're advocating for sleeve stripes. They aren't redundant and look good most of the time. But numbers on the sleeve add no team branding, look bad, and are even more redundant than the logo.

spacer.png

If I’m reading all this correctly, you seem to want blank uniforms. Solid colors and no differentiating designs.

Either you’re really grasping at straws or you’re in the midst of an existential crisis.

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1