NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

6 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

why in the world did the Bengals do this announcement without any photos of the helmet or uniform pairings? meh

Don't they know the rules on this board, no posting concepts without art?! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Oilers-Titans-Texans discourse around here never fails

• “tHe OiLeRs BeLoNg iN hOuStOn”

• ”iF oNLy tHe TiTaNs jUsT LeT tHe TeXaNs uSe ThE nAmE”

• “tHe LeGaL sTuFf dOeSn’t MaTtER wHeN it’S tHe OiLeRs”

spacer.png

Since we are talking football and Hank Scorpio...

spacer.png

• LOL 4

Do the Texans even want to be the Oilers? I think they like being the Texans.

Tennessee owns the brand. They own the history. They keep luv ya blue on their uniforms as a tribute and a staked claim. Sure, they’ve diminished the usage over the years and the Titans brand has sucked since it’s inception and I would much prefer if they had just remained the Tennessee Oilers. But, it’s there, and it’s theirs, and they would be damned if they gave half of their own franchise’s history to their own division rivals as a nicety because they didnt get the brand right the first time (questionable). Houston will never throwback to the Warren Moon era the same way that Baltimore will never throwback to the Johnny Unitas era. Doesn’t make a difference that the Colts still wear those uniforms and the Titans don’t.

Everyone agrees that the Ravens-Browns agreement is silly and it will never happen again in this league. That’s why the argument gets shot down.

• Like 3

It's been over 2 decades since the Oilers name was retired. In that time, the Texans have grown to be a natural NFL brand. Do people even wear Oilers as a nostalgic retro brand? They don't seem to even carry that retro cash grab the Expos, Nordiques and Whalers got. The brand is dead. 

• Like 4

XM4KeeA.png

I really like the Texans helmet. That candy paint red is exactly what I would’ve wanted for them. I thought I would have wanted a matching facemask, too, but the navy definitely looks better. It’s kind of a shame that it will only be worn with the red jersey, as I think it would look nice with the Color Rush jersey & white pants, or as @GriffinM6 said, the white jersey & blue pants. I think the Texans look best when each of the three main uniform pieces are a different color, with one being red, another being white, and the other being blue.

As for the Bengals going with a white helmet, it’s predictable yet relieving news. Not all white-out looks deserve the “❄️❄️❄️” social media hype, but this combo really does look cold. It’s a rare instance in which I’m glad for the removal of the one-helmet rule.

It really makes the all-white combo look complete.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Extremely shameless plug: 

64db6166ab26ba31d6a490114b7d80f4.png?compress=1&resize=1600x1200&vertical=top

I could rock with that. I get a real 2000s Miami Hurricanes vibe from this which, that too being a Nike design, ain't the worst thing in the world. Needs some red on the back of the sleeve caps too, though. And I don't think the helmet stripe is even needed.

9 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The only way I can forgive the Bengals for this atrocity is if they do a promotional video shoot with Jason David Frank reprising his role as Tommy Oliver/White Power Ranger

spacer.png

Dear God no--the world done had enough of JDF as is. Even he done had enough of Tommy/the franchise. Plus, that's not even the best White Ranger suit:

011cc4c3e44963bfe506d6493134a837.jpg

AbareKiller FTW.

6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I like this idea, only the base color would have to be powder blue for it to draw any connection to the Oilers legacy. 

And really, it’s fair game for the Houston to reclaim those colors. The last Titans rebrand is so heavy on navy and silver that red and powder are there for the taking.

I don't think it's that easy...I'm no intellectual property attorney, but I think that inasmuch as those colors in tandem are still associated with a preexisting brand (the Oilers), which is still owned by the Adams estate, I think the Texans would have to do some real legal wrangling and bartering with the Adams Family to get those colors as their own (which at this point, it's been 20 years...an entire generation has grown up knowing navy and red as Houston NFL football). 🤷🏿‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Found this today, looks pretty accurate to what was released (even the finish seems to match up pretty well) and showcases what the new red lid will look like on the battle red jersey.

Personally, I love it. Texans should go with this look as their primary set. With all the navy and red in the league, it's a wonder there isn't a red-first team yet. The Texans have the perfect set to go red full-time, works much better than their current navies in my book. The navy look just feels bland and uninteresting, but unoffensive. This feels a lot more vibrant and fun without changing anything but the helmet. Excited to see what this combo looks like on the field.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Wait, I’m curious about the white Bengals helmet. Based on the current rules, wouldn’t they have to be paired with an alternate, Color Rush or throwback uniform? I’m hoping against hope that means the 2021 all-white is being reclassified as a Color Rush and a new road uniform with more orange will be unveiled. 

Probably wishful thinking. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PERRIN said:

Personally, I love it. Texans should go with this look as their primary set. With all the navy and red in the league, it's a wonder there isn't a red-first team yet. The Texans have the perfect set to go red full-time, works much better than their current navies in my book. The navy look just feels bland and uninteresting, but unoffensive. This feels a lot more vibrant and fun without changing anything but the helmet. Excited to see what this combo looks like on the field.

I don't blame you for forgetting about the Chiefs, but they do exist. 

(signed, a Raiders fan)

• LOL 1

The social media reaction to the white helmet is overwhelmingly “icy”

PFF is the king of clickbait but yeesh: 

theres just too much monochrome white happening around the league (and college). I know it looks good, but there’s teams that have that be part of their look, and then copycats who want “icy” looks

• Like 3

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

20 minutes ago, plastictaxicab said:

I don't blame you for forgetting about the Chiefs, but they do exist. 

(signed, a Raiders fan)

I thought I was clear, I meant a red and blue team that emphasizes red. The Chiefs do not fit that description.

• Like 4

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I see the white Bengals helmet and uniform (whether it's worn with the standard away set or the color rush uniform is brought back into the rotation) as more of a clean up of a bigger issue than it is enhancing their look.

I get that Bengals fans have fantasized about white helmets even before the redesign last season, especially after college teams like Memphis showed what a white tiger stripe helmet could look like. But, to me, this new helmet is fixing an issue--for a game or two a season, it seems -- that is the fact their road jerseys don't have enough orange in them. 

I mean, this whole "icy white" fad with white socks is already my biggest pet peeve in football garb these days, but wearing an all-white and black uni just looks washed out to me. The bigger problem is the away jersey and the standard white pant they have are almost void of orange and obviously, as many pointed out last season, the road uniform doesn't look quite right unless they wear the black pants to add some color balance, since they have orange in them. 

Their same issues with color balancing even explains why they concocted the "Finding Nemo" alternate pants. They definitely went in the right direction with the simplified redesign, but I think they didn't quite run it through the filter enough before signing off. The white helmet looks more like a fix for an unbalanced white jersey than it does an enhancement. 

IDK, maybe I am jaded because I am so tired of all the "ICY WHITE SWAG" crap that has diluted football, especially in college. I prefer when away uniforms have color, which is totally possible even when the jersey base is white. Teams have just given up on that.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

Everyone agrees that the Ravens-Browns agreement is silly and it will never happen again in this league. That’s why the argument gets shot down.

The Browns agreement came because the NFL needed a media win for not getting involved until after Modell was standing on a stage in Baltimore saying he was moving. This came after he told the city and the league he'd go back to the table after the season ended. The Ravens are a new team, they are not the Browns. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, tBBP said:

I don't think it's that easy...I'm no intellectual property attorney, but I think that inasmuch as those colors in tandem are still associated with a preexisting brand (the Oilers), which is still owned by the Adams estate, I think the Texans would have to do some real legal wrangling and bartering with the Adams Family to get those colors as their own (which at this point, it's been 20 years...an entire generation has grown up knowing navy and red as Houston NFL football). 🤷🏿‍♂️

The suggestion wasn’t to adopt the name “Oilers,” just the colors. They can continue to be the Texans. So I don’t think an intellectual property claim comes into play if you’re not using the name. I’m also no IP expert, but I’m pretty certain you can’t claim ownership over colors on their own.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, PERRIN said:

With all the navy and red in the league, it's a wonder there isn't a red-first team yet. 

Patriots

Texans

Titans

I think that's "all" the navy and red in the league, and it's a stretch with the Titans. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Patriots

Texans

Titans

I think that's "all" the navy and red in the league. 

If you make it just blue and red, it's now:

Pats

Texans

Titans

Giants

Bills

But with Arizona, Tampa Bay, Washington, San Francisco, and Kansas City, I think that's enough red-first teams. 

• Like 4