NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

21 hours ago, BBTV said:

When everyone was making fun of "Major Tuddy" saying that they put him in an old R-words jersey, I didn't realize that he's wearing the full R-words uniform - look at the pants!  Why in the world would they do this, when some portion of the fan base is already complaining that they should have just kept those uniforms and slapped "Commanders" on them anyway?

If its like everything else, this Commanders re-brand was planned as soon as they dropped the R name but had to wait 2 years to fully get the branding done, with the BS idea they wanted to involve the fans. I bet the Mascot was on some levels already planned for last season (sans Commanders on the chest) but wanted the fans to "have a say".

Keep in mind the Commanders W is pretty much the same current logo with some lines around it as WFT so that part of the uniform on the mascot could easily been changed.  The Commanders like that across the chest also screams a quick cheap modification where it may have had a fully jersey in the original design. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BBTV said:

When everyone was making fun of "Major Tuddy" saying that they put him in an old R-words jersey, I didn't realize that he's wearing the full R-words uniform - look at the pants!  Why in the world would they do this, when some portion of the fan base is already complaining that they should have just kept those uniforms and slapped "Commanders" on them anyway?

I'm willing to offer a hare-brained conspiracy theory:

Recognizing a need to completely divorce themselves from prior branding, the Commanders unveil an intentionally terrible set of uniforms they know nobody would like. The idea being that when time passes, and these uniforms remain odious, their fans will begin to clamor for the old look. By that time, calmer heads will prevail and will no longer tie a uniform design to the offensive nickname, allowing the classic look to return (a la the Buccaneers) but under the new team name. Major Tuddy is just foreshadowing.

Naturally, this assumes that Daniel Snyder can think strategically and employ some degree of cunning. Which is why this is a hare-brained theory.  

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

21 hours ago, JQK said:

I hope to hell whoever buys Washington changes the name. We know we can't get the [mod edit] back, but getting the Red Wolves, which, if I remember correctly, was a consensus favorite,  would be the correct step to take.

Either that or just go back to Football Team/Club.

I don't think they'll change the name, but at least make logos and uniforms that look like they belong to a professional sports team. 

• Like 6

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2023-01-01 at 5:55 PM, tBBP said:

Jacksonville I'll give you, because unless one knows or cares about Florida, one really wouldn't have a reason to know or care anything about Jacksonville, plus it ain't like there's anything especially exciting about it—and i say that as a native of the Panhandle—but Nashville being "nowhere"? Come on, bruh. I know bashing on things southern has long been one of your things du jour around here, but that's just straight up ridiculous...cut it out, bro. 

I do think Nashville’s wider cultural relevancy is a much more recent phenomenon — whether that’s fair is separate — but also, there is something to be said about the Titans’ bizarre, slow-walked move, with the temporary clinging to Oilers and the college stadium stops including Memphis — that sorta stunted their roots, at least from the outside. Personally I still don’t think of them as Nashville the way I might with the Predators or even the soccer team.

• Like 4

It's possibly because of the Tennessee branding rather than the Nashville branding. To me, and I get the "Athens of the South" thing, but nothing in the 25 years they have been there, I've never seen anything that screams "Nashville." Like, they almost need all the cliche stuff to make the connection. 

• Like 7

iq5b7nF.png

4 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Which is a downgrade. I get it's supposed to be a stencil but it looks like origami.

IDK, I still like the reaction to the new logo from my neighbor's five-year-old daughter, who immediately made the correlation to our local Tex-Mex restaurant , "Why did they put the taco holder from Azteca on their helmet?"

I keep going back-and-forth between calling the team "The Commies" and "The Taco Holders".

And I still think they should have kept WFT, uniforms included.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

19 hours ago, Digby said:

I do think Nashville’s wider cultural relevancy is a much more recent phenomenon — whether that’s fair is separate — but also, there is something to be said about the Titans’ bizarre, slow-walked move, with the temporary clinging to Oilers and the college stadium stops including Memphis — that sorta stunted their roots, at least from the outside. Personally I still don’t think of them as Nashville the way I might with the Predators or even the soccer team.

Attendance was so bad in Houston after the team announced their plans to move to Nashville that they figured playing in Memphis and Vanderbilt Stadium was a better option than 2 more lame duck seasons in Houston.

I think by the team going for alliteration and being named Tennessee makes it a little harder for neutral football viewers to associate the team with Nashville.

I also feel Nashville's national relevancy is certainly more of a recent trend. Back when the Oilers moved there all I knew about it was thats the place where country music is made and since I didn't like country music AND they stole my NFL team I really disliked Nashville.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’d rather Tennessee lean more into being Music Titans than Greek Titans

Nashville Kats anyone? 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 1/3/2023 at 10:39 AM, gosioux76 said:

I'm willing to offer a hare-brained conspiracy theory:

Recognizing a need to completely divorce themselves from prior branding, the Commanders unveil an intentionally terrible set of uniforms they know nobody would like. The idea being that when time passes, and these uniforms remain odious, their fans will begin to clamor for the old look. By that time, calmer heads will prevail and will no longer tie a uniform design to the offensive nickname, allowing the classic look to return (a la the Buccaneers) but under the new team name. Major Tuddy is just foreshadowing.

Naturally, this assumes that Daniel Snyder can think strategically and employ some degree of cunning. Which is why this is a hare-brained theory.  

Interesting that the Bullets/Wizards stripes did the same thing.  I get the nostalgia and usually pine for similar fauxbacks but the Bullets 1920s men's swimwear stripe look is the worst vintage identity ever...yet iconic...love/hate for me.   Wizards uniforms were probably better than any Bullets look actually

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

Is there such thing as the music titans?

I think he means figuratively, Nashville the epicenter of country music, which I guess makes them titans of the industry (I don’t listen to country, so I couldn’t tell you).

But the name was definitely chose due to the “Athens of The South” nickname.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I think he means figuratively, Nashville the epicenter of country music, which I guess makes them titans of the industry (I don’t listen to country, so I couldn’t tell you).

But the name was definitely chose due to the “Athens of The South” nickname.

There’s no question that’s why the name was chosen in the first place. 

IMO, it would be neat if they at least played around with music imagery.

• Like 1

The colder months of the NFL season have sent me down a rabbit hole ever since I saw the Commanders still using year old WFT hand warmers. This is something I thought would be swapped out every year but this doesn't always seem to be the case especially with the Dolphins who continue to use plain Navy Hand Warmers for the last 10 plus years. This picture is from two years ago but I saw Jaylen Waddle waring the same one just two weeks ago. Here is Chad Pennington wearing the same thing 14 years ago. I understand things like parkas not being replaced but to have an out of uniform piece like this in todays day and age is surprising. Especially since team branded accessories have been a part of the NFL for 20 plus years now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6