NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

17 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Coincidently, this came out the same day that the Texans sent a survey to season ticket holders asking their opinion  on potential new uniform ideas. 

They asked fans to check which ideas they liked. 

Colors: oiler blue, dark blue, black, red, battle red

Lettering: traditional (green bay) or unique (rams)

Uniform design: traditional or unique

They're going to be Luv ya blue and scarlet because nostalgia sells pretty easily. 

20 minutes ago, Slater said:

I take it that the Rams are done with uniform changes for a while? 

What they have now is good, since the bone jerseys are an alternate now. I think they have one more alternate to release next year though.

2 hours ago, Jymp said:

Spend whatever it takes to get the license from the Titans and go back to the Houston Oilers, with the uniform that was used in the Hall of Fame game a few years ago vs. the Bills, Columbia blue helmet, jersey, white pants, white numbers, red outlines.

I'm betting the Adams family's price is too high for that. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans break out throwback Oilers uniforms for years that the NFL wants to recognize the AFL. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

As much as I love the Oilers set aesthetically, it doesn't sound like Tennessee will let that happen for Houston.

I must be in the minority, but think the Texans look good.  Good colors, good logo, good font.  I'd hate for them to blow that up for the newest trend that fans ask for.  They just need to always separate the blue from red with white (shoulder shape, pant stripes).  I'm not a fan of mono looks, and the red jersey next to blue pants look off to me.  It's funny though, the blue pants next to red socks are ok to me

David Carr "Super Action" - Costacos 2005 – Sports Poster Warehouse Texans 11-11 when wearing red jerseys

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

So, I’m glad the Texans are exploring new uniforms. Their uniforms aren’t bad, never have been bad, but they’ve never stood out, either. The most important part of the identity is letting that helmet logo live and breathe on its own — they don’t need helmet stripes or anything else on a lid. It’s one of the best sports logos, and applies amazingly on a helmet. 

With that said, I get worried with teams openly soliciting fan feedback on changes. Mainly because, unlike people on here, fans are going to ask for ridiculous things. I see people make nonsensical uniform takes all the time (ex: Falcons fans on their boards will be like “just bring back the 90s jerseys but do red helmets” and stuff like that). 

Houston has a TON of potential in a redesign route. I wouldn’t want them to change their number font. Just simply bring some character to the design. But, I don’t have faith Nike will come through — they’ve failed on half their redesigns the last decade. 

If it was up to fans every team would have an all black head to toe uniform even if black isn't or has never been part of the color scheme. (Seems like we're pretty much at that point anyway).

• Like 7
  • Hurl 2

3 hours ago, _RH_ said:

As much as I love the Oilers set aesthetically, it doesn't sound like Tennessee will let that happen for Houston.

I must be in the minority, but think the Texans look good.  Good colors, good logo, good font.  I'd hate for them to blow that up for the newest trend that fans ask for.  They just need to always separate the blue from red with white (shoulder shape, pant stripes).  I'm not a fan of mono looks, and the red jersey next to blue pants look off to me.  It's funny though, the blue pants next to red socks are ok to me

David Carr "Super Action" - Costacos 2005 – Sports Poster Warehouse Texans 11-11 when wearing red jerseys

These two jerseys as an away/home combo come off as very WFL or something similar with the darkest color for the pants, and the bottom half of the combinations being the same between the two. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. (Specifically, I'm thinking of the Florida Blazers of the WFL; a fairly similar look.)

Really, at this point, I just hope for a difference in pants and jersey colors (except for white over white, which really doesn't bother me; that's just how away uniforms work sometimes).

Texans have maybe the most under-appreciated brand in all of american sports.

Logo is simple, applicable in many places, yet is a spot-on representation of the nickname they chose.

The font for the wordmarks and uniforms is not gimmicky, fairly simple, yet customized and representative. 

Jerseys are modern. they are simple but have a unique element in the single shoulder stripe. Fits a modern template.

Colors are good, hard to get RWB wrong. But they aren't the premier RWB team in the NFL, there's another patriotic flag team that owns that type of feel (and they happen to have had a massive run in the spotlight)

The division they play in is a downside to the brand. Jags are Teal & black and never clash well enough (except for this weekend they will), colts are so white-heavy but still are blue, and the Titans are obsessive over Navy.

Theres room for a red team, which will clash really well in 6 games immediately, and sets the brand clearly away from the Patriots. The only team in the league with a red helmet is KC. 

• Like 7

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

26 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

Texans have maybe the most under-appreciated brand in all of american sports.

Logo is simple, applicable in many places, yet is a spot-on representation of the nickname they chose.

The font for the wordmarks and uniforms is not gimmicky, fairly simple, yet customized and representative. 

Jerseys are modern. they are simple but have a unique element in the single shoulder stripe. Fits a modern template.

Colors are good, hard to get RWB wrong. But they aren't the premier RWB team in the NFL, there's another patriotic flag team that owns that type of feel (and they happen to have had a massive run in the spotlight)

The division they play in is a downside to the brand. Jags are Teal & black and never clash well enough (except for this weekend they will), colts are so white-heavy but still are blue, and the Titans are obsessive over Navy.

Theres room for a red team, which will clash really well in 6 games immediately, and sets the brand clearly away from the Patriots. The only team in the league with a red helmet is KC. 

Which is why all the Texans have to do is use the red helmet and red jersey permanently. (And bring back the red pants for the road uniform).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

I actually think the logo is the only thing they got right, actually. The uniforms have always too boring for my taste, and their wordmark remains too similar to all of the other wordmarks developed 20 years ago:

6807_atlanta_falcons-wordmark-2020.png

2234.gif

1837_arizona_cardinals-alternate-2005.pn

2492_seattle_seahawks-wordmark-2012.png

1127_houston_texans-wordmark-2002.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I actually think the logo is the only thing they got right, actually. The uniforms have always too boring for my taste, and their wordmark remains too similar to all of the other wordmarks developed 20 years ago:

6807_atlanta_falcons-wordmark-2020.png

2234.gif

1837_arizona_cardinals-alternate-2005.pn

2492_seattle_seahawks-wordmark-2012.png

1127_houston_texans-wordmark-2002.png

For whatever this may add, it should be noted that all five of those brand identities were developed by the same guy: Mark Verlander, who [I'm pretty sure] was the last independent designer the NFL gave full creative control to (well inasmuch as the shield gives full anything to anyone; the league still holds control over the helmet designs IIRC). I kinda miss those days...

...Anyway, on the subject of the Texans' brand identity, I'll say this: they have a solid identity...but nothing excites me about their brand. Let me explain—and I know trying to scientifically split the concept of brand identity can be semantic at times, but: from a visual standpoint, as someone mentioned earlier, the logo, team font, and (for the most part) colors and uniform design are very solid. The colors in particular defintiely resonate with the idea of "Texas/Texan", being that they're pulled straight from the state flag. BUTTT...that is also where it stops for me, because that same colorway gets buried in with the host of other navy-and-red teams in pro sports, and up until two seasons ago, it would have been easy to mistake the Texans at a glance for the Falcons since their navy can look black from a distance and their [away] uniforms looked somewhat similar--dark helmets, red numbers trimmed in dark color. (It probably also doesn't help the lighting inside NRG Stadium or whatever it's called these days is so dreary looking on TV.) All of which is a long form way of saying that nothing about the Texans brand moves me emotionally one way or the other. I won't consider that a brand failure, necessarily, because I'm just one man (and these are my two rusted Lincolns), but...

...You know what, I'll just say it this way: if all the league's brand identities were middle school kids being picked for basketball teams at PE, the Texans would be the last kid picked—not because he's not good, but simply because I forgot he was there.

• Like 9

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Texans are an odd case in that they did everything right, as far as their aesthetics....except be the Oilers...or at least knockoff Oilers.  One thing that you can't really ignore is that the Oilers stood out.  The Texans, frankly, don't.

• Like 7

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

7 hours ago, Discrim said:

The Texans are an odd case in that they did everything right, as far as their aesthetics....except be the Oilers...or at least knockoff Oilers.  One thing that you can't really ignore is that the Oilers stood out.  The Texans, frankly, don't.

Yes, play dress up as a franchise they have no connection to outside of location.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Yes, play dress up as a franchise they have no connection to outside of location.

But location matters considering its what links you to the same fan base of that previous franchise.

The Texans came to town so soon after the Oilers left that there was always going to be a comparison and a yearning to link to them. The Texans ownership did their best to pretend the Oilers never existed and tried to create a clean slate. If they would have gotten over the hump and made it to the super bowl once in the past 21 seasons, the identity would be thought of fondly and surpassed any positive association Houstonians have of the Oilers. Instead it's been 21 years of bad to mediocre football with 2 really good seasons hence why they are probably looking at revamping the look to re-spark interest and kick off a new era.

• Like 6

To claim that the Oilers and Texans have no connection outside of location is ridiculous because they have one other extremely important connection: their fans. The same fans that cheered for the Oilers are the ones that cheered for the Texans when that team started and the Texans haven't done anything noteworthy to make fans forget about the Oilers (worth noting, of course, that the Oilers kinda sucked for most of their existence, but nonetheless the fans forged an incredibly strong connection with the brand). With no special memories associated with the Texans for most fans, of course fans will clamor for the Oilers back. That's the team they cheered for the begin with and even younger generations that didn't watch the Oilers live have the memories passed on by their family. So yeah, give me luv' ya blue in Houston. Let the Texans be the Oilers in all but name. That's the brand the fans want and that's what the team should wear.

• Like 7

the user formerly known as cdclt

12 hours ago, Discrim said:

I suspect the original plan was to play it pretty conservative with the Texans and have them feel like a major-market team that had been there all along rather than a new-fangled Team From Nowhere like the Titans or Jaguars. Even the name was recycled from two mid-20th-century football teams.

I've always wondered how much of the preliminary "Houston Apollos" concept manifested itself in the Super Bowl logo:

Super Bowl Logo Primary Logo (Super Bowl XXXVIII) - New England 32, Carolina 29 SportsLogos.Net

pseudo-NASA worm text, a color scheme close to the '70s Astros but not quite, I can see elements here forming a very late-'90s expansion team.

• Like 9

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The problem with the Texans is that they have such a bland and mediocre identity that you can't get attached to it, so people look back at the previous franchise in the market; and when they get something much stronger branding-wise...they attach to that brand instead. I don't think there's literally a single marketing term the Texans have created that even comes close to matching Luv 'Ya Blue in terms of iconicity.

They're a navy, red and white team; just like the Patriots, Titans, Bills and Giants all were when the Texans entered the league. Their logo is fine, but nothing outstanding. Their entire brand is just...there. Not good enough to truly stand out, but simultaneously not bad enough to be noteworthy in any way.

If the Texans were food, they'd be one of those little bags of chips people give out on Halloween; just about enough to suffice, not enough to fill. A perfectly average brand that fills the boxes but is not very distinct.

• Like 4