2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The Canes are wearing their throwbacks and it looks...so nice. How they every left this is a mystery.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This team tonight looked like the Carolina Hurricanes I remember from growing up. It was fun to see.

If after this anniversary season they eventually go back to Red at home with these uniforms and the updated shoulder patches I think a lot of fans would be thrilled. The last iteration of the Homes was a nice way to bridge the gap back to the original uniforms from the "New Storm" uniforms, but these are what I think of when I think about this team.

• Like 4

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Unpopular Opinion: I enjoy the Oilers orange and navy more than the dynasty royal blue and orange. Visually, the old ones were much nicer to look at.

Same. It also added more variety to the league having more orange as opposed to another royal blue team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Unpopular Opinion: I enjoy the Oilers orange and navy more than the dynasty royal blue and orange. Visually, the old ones were much nicer to look at.

21 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Same. It also added more variety to the league having some orange as opposed to another royal blue team.

See, I disagree because of one problem; the Oilers were trying to stake a claim to a base color that has become inexorably tied to Philly as their main dark color, and they weren't exactly pulling it off with the same grace the Flyers have managed either.

Like, this looks good because of the balance that it has; orange is clearly dominant, while black and white share a similar amount of prominence as secondary colors. It's blocked out really well, too, with no color really being too overbearing.

spacer.png

But then you look at the Oilers and it just...doesn't work. Why is there so much navy up top with the yoke, but only a thin stripe on the arms and hem leaving it top-heavy (something that a full stripe like the WHA throwback had would not have to worry about)? Why pick such a bright shade of orange that washes the white out and makes the already-dark navy look even darker than it already is? Why make the gloves entirely navy if you're trying to push orange so much, when you could easily have matched the pants stripe and at least make those two elements cohesive?

spacer.png

It's just not a very well-thought out design, in my opinion. They tried to split the difference between the retro look and the WHA throwback with a touch of 90's navy and in that process lost what made any of those looks really work. There's kind of a reason so many Oilers fans who wanted them to keep navy still wanted them to basically just look exactly like Bakersfield.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

But then you look at the Oilers and it just...doesn't work. Why is there so much navy up top with the yoke, but only a thin stripe on the arms and hem leaving it top-heavy (something that a full stripe like the WHA throwback had would not have to worry about)? Why pick such a bright shade of orange that washes the white out and makes the already-dark navy look even darker than it already is? Why make the gloves entirely navy if you're trying to push orange so much, when you could easily match the pants stripe and at least make those two elements cohesive?

spacer.png

I think the yoke and pants combined balance out the navy well enough.

A lot of fans probably just don't associate orange with being the main Oilers color with those dark accents, even though I think it looks great. The old Sens logo is flawed in several places, but fans still wanted it over any of the updated ones. It's because of team history that they went back to the old.

There's a lot of factors to consider, when presenting a change to a franchise look. Aesthetics is not the only thing that needs to be considered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daniel75 said:

Never gonna get use to these ads on jerseys. It’s so sad to see beautiful jerseys completely ruined by an ad. 

I totally agree. It's such a shame to see. I feel the same way not just about the jersey ads, but the helmet ads too.

4 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

So now these TV stations are super imposing their own ads on top of the boards that are already covered in ads?

The NHL really decided to make watching this league as unenjoyable as possible over the offseason.

Those digital ads on the boards, the ice, and the glass are just awful. I'm sure some people will laugh and tell me not to let the door hit me on the way out at what I am about to say (type) but I have completely lost interest in the NHL with all the digital ads and now the uniform ads too. I have not watched any hockey since this season has started. I'm just so disappointed to be honest. 

4 hours ago, RollWolfpack said:

This team tonight looked like the Carolina Hurricanes I remember from growing up. It was fun to see.

If after this anniversary season they eventually go back to Red at home with these uniforms and the updated shoulder patches I think a lot of fans would be thrilled. The last iteration of the Homes was a nice way to bridge the gap back to the original uniforms from the "New Storm" uniforms, but these are what I think of when I think about this team.

I'm not a Hurricanes fan but when I saw a photo of Carolina wearing that uniform tonight, I had a moment where I just smiled and I just hope the fan response is so overwhelmingly positive that the team goes back to it permanently. Speaking of throwbacks, I just love seeing the Oilers back in royal blue. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, riccirulesall said:

those look fantastic. but I never realized how bland those socks were. they need some silver for some pop and cohesiveness

Always bothered me that the socks didn't just repeat the stripes from the sleeves. That seems like such the obvious move and then allows the sleeves and socks to work together in concert while the hem stripe gets to stand out as the star that it is. Instead they used three different sets of stripes so it feels messy. 

• Like 6

PvO6ZWJ.png

42 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Because the new owners have no tastes in hockey jerseys, wich is why they made the black alternate their new home jerseys.

Probably having their mindset stuck in the early 2000s era of jersey aesthetics.

14 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Same. Until the disastrous Edge version, those were really nice. I think too many teams were darkening their colors but I really felt like that was a nice update.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)