2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

7 minutes ago, Davey said:

I enjoy the 2023 NHL All-Star jerseys. Brings back some good memories of growing up and, being able to see them again.

The icing on the cake would be if the teams kept their current glove colors of their current team. I loved that subtle detail of being able to pinpoint a player on the ice based on the team colors of the gloves they wore. 

That and the shells that were often too short ahah

spacer.png

It was a simpler time but I absolutely agree, the team gloves need to make a glorious comeback

Or maybe even let the manufacturers feel free come up with weird, one off stuff like that

spacer.png

Player gear in general has become very boring in the last decade. Thank god for Russian players lol

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

Of course not following the Coyotes I didn't know anything about any of this or who a Rhuigi was, so I did a little background research and it turns out dude's been in the fashion design/streetwear biz for quite a while now.

For anyone else curious about this Rhuigi Villasenor, here's a Forbes article on him, which also partly tells how he became involved with the Coyotes:

Rhuigi Villaseñor Of Rhude Becomes Head Creative Of NHL’s Arizona Coyotes (forbes.com)

Back to the jersey...seeing his previous work with paisley does indeed explain the stripped-down kachina pattern (which I feel like the Coyotes could use to pretty great effect so long as they don't go too far out the box with it). As for that chest script, thanks Andy for explaining the inspiration. The final execution doesn't really do it for me personally (but then, these weren't designed for me either 😄), but at least now I know what led to the styling of the final piece. 

Rhuigi Villaseñor gives us a hockey jersey fashioned after paisley bandanas.

The style of Virgil Abloh gave us Los Angeles Rams uniforms with name tags and intentionally off-centered rough stitching.

Alexander Julian gave us pleated basketball shorts.

The worlds of fashion and sports fashion no doubt have some overlap, but there definitely needs to be some pretty firm separation between the two as well.

• Like 5
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 minute ago, Sodboy13 said:

Rhuigi Villaseñor gives us a hockey jersey fashioned after paisley bandanas.

The style of Virgil Abloh gave us Los Angeles Rams uniforms with name tags and intentionally off-centered rough stitching.

Alexander Julian gave us pleated basketball shorts.

The worlds of fashion and sports fashion no doubt have some overlap, but there definitely needs to be some pretty firm separation between the two as well.

I'm still waiting on those clear side panels...

(Then again, given what that's led to with the hotpants some women wear these days, ehh probably not.)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

Of course not following the Coyotes I didn't know anything about any of this or who a Rhuigi was, so I did a little background research and it turns out dude's been in the fashion design/streetwear biz for quite a while now.

For anyone else curious about this Rhuigi Villasenor, here's a Forbes article on him, which also partly tells how he became involved with the Coyotes:

Rhuigi Villaseñor Of Rhude Becomes Head Creative Of NHL’s Arizona Coyotes (forbes.com)

Back to the jersey...seeing his previous work with paisley does indeed explain the stripped-down kachina pattern (which I feel like the Coyotes could use to pretty great effect so long as they don't go too far out the box with it). As for that chest script, thanks Andy for explaining the inspiration. The final execution doesn't really do it for me personally (but then, these weren't designed for me either 😄), but at least now I know what led to the styling of the final piece. 

Just imagine if the uni was black like the Arizona night! Lol, I get it. We worked through the crest for a looong time trying to figure it out, trying alternatives, old things, new things, etc., but they kept coming back to the rocky Arizona wordmark.

• Like 4

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Love the Coyotes embracing looking like a dude from East L.A., it's such an on-point nod to their fanbase of 3,000 suburban redditors whose parents moved down from Denver.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just read the article about the new Coyotes alt, and what they were going for with the script reminded me of a concept I did about 15 years ago....namely, @bohob's constructive criticism of the script I'd made for it:

I don't necessarily think "raw" is a design quality one wants to pursue when designing for the highest level of professional basketball in the US, if not the world. I really think the script could work, if it were a little more polished.

And now I see a third jersey at the highest level of professional hockey in North America, if not the world, with a script explicitly pursuing "rough and raw" as a design quality.  Not that I really aim for stylistic messiness that often, but it felt simultaneously nostalgic and ironic.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Now that they mention the bandana connection, I can clearly see it and really like it.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Honestly, the Yotes third looks pretty nice. Feels like a blend of the 03-07 jerseys with Kachina branding and a retro-styled wordmark. The only thing I might change is filling in the cream on the top and bottom of the stripes to make them pop a bit more.

But otherwise, this kit looks pretty slick as an alternative look, almost like a look into a world where the Coyotes came about in the WHA;

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

No it doesn't. No one in the WHA was doing linework that sophisticated; everything was more or less a palette swap of a template that was already in the NHL. If you're thinking of anything, you're thinking of the Nordiques, who heat-pressed a few fleur-de-lis decals above the hems on an almost otherwise blank sweater. I'd like to look into a world where they replaced this useless team, which I almost got to do ten years ago.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Yawn 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Normally I think a standard block font looks good on just about every uniform, but with this Coyotes alt it just feels lazy. It's like they were about to submit the final design then realized they forgot to put numbers on the jersey. 

The Yotes have never worn block numbers since moving from Winnipeg, even when they simplified the colours/uniforms in '03. A custom font with rough edging similar to the wordmark would've been nice. Even just using the font from their home & away uniforms would've been better.

• Like 2

Sorry, guys, but I love that Coyotes alternate. The cactus on the pants is something I would've done in the concepts board when I was 14. 

Also, I'm watching Blue Jackets-Flames right now. First time seeing the Flames nu-blasty uniforms. Again, sorry, but I love these. I think I'm getting soft and less critical  in my old age. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Yotes have never worn block numbers since moving from Winnipeg, even when they simplified the colours/uniforms in '03.

The 2003-15 number font was about as generic as a block font without being a block font, and the namebar font wasn't even unique - it's the Law and Order font.

• Like 2

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)