2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

Hot take, but doing a second Reverse Retro is dumb. There are more than enough teams scraping the bottom of the historical barrel to make the whole thing not worth it.

I think they should've extended the program to be longer than just a year, but trying to rehash it a second time isn't the brightest idea imo.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Hot take, but doing a second Reverse Retro is dumb. There are more than enough teams scraping the bottom of the historical barrel to make the whole thing not worth it.

Which teams are "scraping the bottom of the historical barrel"?

It's pretty easy (for me, just brainstorming) with three or four more RR designs for nearly every team (with Vegas and Seattle being the toughest). 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

23 hours ago, Sport said:

Are the Blue Jackets teasing a jersey ad as if it's something we should be excited about? 

I'm wondering if putting out hype videos like this was a condition of the partnership. If not, it's a complete slap in the face of fans to tease a sponsor patch by using the words "Our Crest".

Also, I'm really curious who the Blue Jackets, who play in Nationwide Arena, located on Nationwide Boulevard, next to Nationwide Plaza, down the street from a soccer team with Nationwide on their kits, will feature as a jersey partner 🙄.

15 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Also, I'm really curious who the Blue Jackets, who play in Nationwide Arena, located on Nationwide Boulevard, next to Nationwide Plaza, down the street from a soccer team with Nationwide on their kits, will feature as a jersey partner 🙄.

State Farm?  Geico?

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Might the Senators be introducing a new wordmark logo for their 30th anniversary?

I like that a lot. I like anything that actually calls to mind their namesake (the Canadian Senate). 

The problem...as nice as this is... the Senators have an identity problem. Centurion? 2D? 3D? Old? New? Maybe the =O= logo? And now we have this...which is strong enough to serve as a primary logo...to add to the pile. It's even worse because they've finally settled on one aspect of their identity and now they have this too. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, IceCap said:

I like that a lot. I like anything that actually calls to mind their namesake (the Canadian Senate). 

The problem...as nice as this is... the Senators have an identity problem. Centurion? 2D? 3D? Old? New? Maybe the =O= logo? And now we have this...which is strong enough to serve as a primary logo...to add to the pile. It's even worse because they've finally settled on one aspect of their identity and now they have this too. 

Meh, I can't imagine this wordmark will detract from their primary identity. I personally wanted them to go =O= full time, but the return to 2D has been a success, so I don't imagine them changing any time soon.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Might the Senators be introducing a new wordmark logo for their 30th anniversary?

This hurts my eyes every time I look at it. I think it's because of the thick white inline. If it was thinner or gone completely, I think it would be better. I find the version they went with easier to look at on a red or black background, but on white, it's just so jarring. 

And would it have killed them to fill in the circle that represents the clock on the Peace Tower in gold, and/or the spire above it black? Those are very fine details that could be hard to reproduce at a small scale.

You can tell art direction from management was phenomenal here,  from the obvious "it needs more red" which led to the forth(!) outline being added, and the dubious "can we make this more exciting/energetic?" which resulted in the weird wave warp effect,.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, IceCap said:

I mean, the Peace Tower has been a part of their identity before, since it was the shoulder logo of the black alternates that they wore in the 2000's; so that is still a connection to their modern look.

And I disagree on it being strong enough to be a primary; by the very nature of being a wordmark, it isn't a strong primary logo. A strong wordmark, sure, but wordmarks and logos aren't interchangeable, and no team in in the NHL should have a wordmark as their primary logo (which is why I wish the Caps would bite the damn bullet and just adopt some kind of eagle logo as their primary already).

20 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Silver Seven dress-up remains the only viable identity in my books.

It's been 30 years of this same overall identity, though; there's too much history and memories behind it to just dump it entirely. In fact, I'd argue the modern look has overtaken the Silver Seven look as far as being the definitive brand identity for the Senators: it's certainly stuck around for a longer period of time in the NHL than the O, anyways, and the looks that stick the longest tend to be the most definitive.

The Silver Seven really only has the Cups at this point; but if you have to cite Cup wins from over a century ago to justify a brand change, you've already hit a bit of a snag...because the casual fan won't have nostalgic memories of guys like Frank Finnigan or Jack Darragh wearing the O to all those Cups; they'll have memories of things like Kravchuk dumping the top-seed Devils, Van Allen winning their first ECF game and Phillips forcing a Game 7 against the Devils, Danny Alfredsson sending Buffalo home in their run to the Finals or Hoffman forcing Game 7 against the Penguins, all of those in some variation of the modern identity.

Identity and branding is crucial to teams, and the look they've had since 92 is just more branding-friendly than the O. I think it'll be on alternates, but as a primary logo I just don't think the appetite's there from the FO for that exact reason; it's not as marketable.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 2

23 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

As much as I like that they're bringing this wordmark back, this isn't the way to do it. Too many strokes, too many clashing colors, and an unnecessary wave effect. All they had to do was update the font on the original and they were golden.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Silver Seven dress-up remains the only viable identity in my books.

The 2000-07 alternate should've been the base for their Edge look and it's a look that would've looked great even today.

Even if you replace the 3D logo with the 2D version, it would still look great.

• Like 4

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)