2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

Fwiw, these Pistons unis are dark navy, not black, but only weirdos like us will actually acknowledge that. Casuals will see them as black.

As for the design of them, the chest stripe is nice, but the typography and use of 'DET' (that no one identifies with in the city itself) are misses. Obviously, these would be better in red with a 'PISTONS' or 'MOTOR CITY' wordmark in either the current typography or something from the team's history. 

I know you have access to the official Pantone hex values and whatnot, but the team itself identifies the jersey as black. Here’s an excerpt from a “The Athletic” article discussing the unveiling.

“Knowing that red, white and blue are always going to be at the core of what we do, we wanted to find a way to add a different element,” Kirkham said. “A lot of the things Cochise brought up, adding black, creating a more vibrant view of red and blue … how could you complement that with a good, core color? Black was always something we wanted to figure out how to insert, but Cochise’s thoughts are what sparked the idea to add some type of element and not be a rinse and repeat of our grey uniform that was a carbon copy but a different color.”

Interesting since I agree it appears to be dark navy in some pics.

FcE4cocWYAEmes9?format=jpg&name=large

On 9/2/2022 at 1:59 PM, TaylorMade said:

NBA: "Almost every team loses money every year."

NBA teams: "Check out this new court we're going to play on for 3 whole games this season!"

See? Even fans in a city that no longer has an NBA basketball team get that novelty and special court designs lose money if they don't get enough games played on them to justify having them. Oh, and by the way, it's still a travesty that Seattle still does not have an NBA basketball team, and it's still a travesty that former NBA commissioner David Stern and the NBA Board of Governors allowed the Professional Basketball Club LLC to move the Seattle SuperSonics to Oklahoma City in 2008.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, projectjohn said:

I know you have access to the official Pantone hex values and whatnot, but the team itself identifies the jersey as black.

Smh, the team didn't even communicate with Nike, then. Nike is using a material color named Pitch Blue (it has a completely different color code than Black, of course) for the Pistons Statement uni. We'll actually see that color again with one of the City unis.

Speaking of Statement uniforms, here's a little tidbit for everyone: we've yet to officially see 14 new Statement uniforms (Cavs, Pistons, Warriors, Spurs, Bucks and Jazz have been formally announced). I have a feeling they'll start to be announced in the next couple of weeks. I don't have info on that, just speculating.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Conrad. said:

Speaking of Statement uniforms, here's a little tidbit for everyone: we've yet to officially see 14 new Statement uniforms (Cavs, Pistons, Warriors, Spurs, Bucks and Jazz have been formally announced). I have a feeling they'll start to be announced in the next couple of weeks. I don't have info on that, just speculating.

I'm pretty sure you heavily hinted at this a while ago, but one of those new Statements is Charlotte's, right? We've had our current one for like three or four years and I'm itching for a purple pinstriped jersey.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, Conrad. said:

Smh, the team didn't even communicate with Nike, then. Nike is using a material color named Pitch Blue (it has a completely different color code than Black, of course) for the Pistons Statement uni. We'll actually see that color again with one of the City unis.

Did the Lakers scrap the new Statement uniform that got leaked?

bSLCtu2.png

7 hours ago, Conrad. said:

Not a surprise, I suppose, considering what a disaster their design team has been for the last decade or so, with few exceptions.

3 hours ago, alero_incognito said:

how hard is it to make a good pistons jersey?

It's not that hard; the Pistons just refuse to do it for some reason.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

19 hours ago, eRay said:

All these players look so "enthusiastic".... really though, this jersey sucks. But if Pistons fans like it, so be it. At least they brought the throwback for fans to buy if they don't like this statement jersey. Also, this reeks of the inconsistent Lakers jerseys with their purple among other things..

• Like 1

I really don't mind the new Pistons uniform. I think it does a pretty good job of involving elements of the Bad Boys era with the black(midnight blue) and the warmup-inspired striping. The only two things I'd change on this would be to go with a full Detroit wordmark and place the front number over the chest stripes underneath the left breast. It's definitely better and makes more sense than the stupid "chrome" looks. 

• Like 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

DET.

A pointless cash grab to show the fans that “they care”. 

I'm with many others that abbreviations like that are dumb. Especially with colors that just don’t resemble Detroit. When I pull up a stream with Detroit playing, I’m not going to be able to recognize them. They could literally be any other team with how these statement and city uniforms are trending.

• Like 1

You guys have mentioned it, but I'm really starting to hate the Statement jerseys becoming farther and farther away from the main set.

This is New Orleans statement jersey:

2679.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

and here are their core jerseys:

1200px-Zion_Williamson_2020.jpgzion-williamson-of-the-new-orleans-pelic

All three of those jerseys look like they belong to the same set. Statement jerseys are supposed to be an extention of the main set, just like alternates in the pre-Nike era.  Detriot's Statement jersey now looks nothing like the core jerseys. Say what you want about the chrome jerseys, but at least they matched.

• Like 15

i think the jerseys had some potential. a black jersey isnt the end of the world i guess. like i said earlier, i just wish they used the core design. its a statement jersey after all theres no need to try so hard to make it look "cool" or different. what they did just looks too gimmicky and would get old within a season. to me an ideal black pistons jersey would look more like something like this (excuse the rushed editing):

image.pngimage-1.png

credit to conradburry and caseyvitelli for the original concept of course

• Like 7

NBA 2k23 uniform video is out now and so throwback uniforms were added. 2k does a much better job than The Show and Madden in terms of throwback uniforms. There's only a handful of missing unis in 2k that need to be added. Anyway some of the new Statements/Classic editions are already in from default. As more uniforms (Statement/City) are released they'll be patched in.

Missing Statement Uniforms:

Denver

Minnesota

Clippers

Lakers

Detroit (Already shown)

Charlotte

Brooklyn

Orlando

Phoenix (Already leaked)

Memphis

Portland

New York

Dallas

Houston

• Like 1

19 hours ago, projectjohn said:

I know you have access to the official Pantone hex values and whatnot, but the team itself identifies the jersey as black. Here’s an excerpt from a “The Athletic” article discussing the unveiling.

Interesting since I agree it appears to be dark navy in some pics.

FcE4cocWYAEmes9?format=jpg&name=large

I LOVE IT

• Like 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Yawn 1

10 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Did the Lakers scrap the new Statement uniform that got leaked?

Lakers statement jersey not shown in NBA2k23; old one is gone, have to assume new one will be unveiled soon. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.