MLB Regular Season 22: The Thread

Gary

13 hours ago, Dilbert said:

We have a walk off Balk!

How was that a balk? He wasn’t set, he had the ball behind him. If waving your glove before coming set is a balk I don’t know what isn’t anymore. When you see guys get away with pausing mid motion to throw off a batters timing isn’t a balk then this shouldn’t be either.

14 minutes ago, dont care said:

How was that a balk? He wasn’t set, he had the ball behind him. If waving your glove before coming set is a balk I don’t know what isn’t anymore. When you see guys get away with pausing mid motion to throw off a batters timing isn’t a balk then this shouldn’t be either.

Yeah it looked like he was just motioning for another sign or to run through the signs again (I assume they use the same hand motions even if using the new electronic sign thing).  Certainly seems like a case of the umpire wanting to be a superstar and get involved, rather than letting the players decide the game.

Here's a surprisingly mature reaction from the pitcher, explaining what he was doing and what he assumes the umpire thought he saw.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

kind of insane the Mets won on Keith Hernandez Day in almost the exact same fashion as Game 6 of the '86 World Series. doesn't change the fact that they desperately need to make some moves at the deadline, but god that was cool.

53Ocz8U.png

How do players simply forget how to play baseball?  Nick Castellanos might be the absolute worst hitter I've ever seen.  At this point, he doesn't even give competitive at-bats - just flails at pitches the bounce before the plate, or are a full foot outside the zone.  We knew his defense was bad, but he was supposed to be a DH so I'm not even complaining about that.

Is it small market / low pressure vs big market / high pressure?  That's the only thing I can think of, because he definitely knows how to be a good hitter, but my gods he's been unwatchable this entire season.  You'd swear he never even held a bat before.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

44 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

Jeter just beat the Yankees. Something I thought I'd never say. 

Yeah I know it was Verdugo that got the hit, but it was a cool that Jeter was the winning run. 

Jeter flew on that hit though. Even if the throw was on line I don’t think he would have been tagged

The Orioles, playing in arguably the toughest division in baseball, are two games below .500, currently sitting at a 7-game winning streak, and sit only 3 games behind the second wildcard spot.

I hope Buster Olney is somewhere eating his own :censored:.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Orioles, playing in arguably the toughest division in baseball, are two games below .500, currently sitting at a 7-game winning streak, and sit only 3 games behind the second wildcard spot.

There are now 3 wild card spots, the AL East already occupies all 3

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I'd love to bookmark this post for late August/early September. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but that you're getting all bat-poop crazy at this stage in the season over a perceived slight of your team. Then it's justified. now it's ... not.

It's where I sit.

34 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'd love to bookmark this post for late August/early September. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but that you're getting all bat-poop crazy at this stage in the season over a perceived slight of your team. Then it's justified. now it's ... not.

That’s the thing. Being an Orioles fan, if you expect failure, you’ll never feel disappointment.

It’s not that I’m excited for the team, it’s how they’ve been treated as the scum of and bad for baseball by Buster Olney (and I’m sure other, less vocal, members of sports media). So anything good they accomplish should feel like a slap to the face to those who relegate them as trash.

What the Orioles (and Mariners) have accomplished in their past 10 games is better for baseball than anything the Yankees and Dodgers have done with their billion dollar rosters.

• Like 4

Baseball fever is taking over Seattle! Mariners win their 8th straight and nearly 40,000 people (maybe half Canadian) came out to see the M's complete the series sweep over the Blue Jays.

I was at the game, and it's fun to see the Ms lead a heroic charge up the standings in the middle of the season, instead of late August when it's too late.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's pretty crazy how  the Mariners & Orioles are in the playoff picture.  The AL East is also turning into a dogfight. Yankees are still 14 games ahead, but I  wouldn't be shocked to see that number fall, especially after these past 2 games against the Red Sox. 

• Like 1

It actually feels good to be a Mariner fan right now... the team is red hot, they're in playoff position AND the next six games (2 vs. Washington and 4 vs. Texas) look winnable.

There's a chance they may have a 14 game winning streak going into the break, and that would be something.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2022 at 9:22 PM, BBTV said:

How do players simply forget how to play baseball?  Nick Castellanos might be the absolute worst hitter I've ever seen.  At this point, he doesn't even give competitive at-bats - just flails at pitches the bounce before the plate, or are a full foot outside the zone.  We knew his defense was bad, but he was supposed to be a DH so I'm not even complaining about that.

Is it small market / low pressure vs big market / high pressure?  That's the only thing I can think of, because he definitely knows how to be a good hitter, but my gods he's been unwatchable this entire season.  You'd swear he never even held a bat before.

I didn't realize this but apparently, when he moved to Philadelphia, Castellanos bought Ben Simmons' house, which explains how he turned into a walking sack of crap seemingly overnight.  There's petitions to get him to sell or at least move out of it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Congrats Reds. Shame on the Yankees. They lost their mojo since Friday.

Seemed like it started a week or so ago when they lost to the Pirates. 

This is why I want to say the Yankees are overachieving. They still have some glaring flaws, specifically with pitching. And I could easily see them losing in the ALDS  if those flaws aren't addressed.  

A dumb move they could do is trade Cole, since he can't seem to beat the Red Sox if his life depended on it. Which is very likely who the Yankees will be facing in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Congrats Reds. Shame on the Yankees. They lost their mojo since Friday.

No. The Reds are just pulling off weird wins. Walk off balk on Friday vs the Rays and winning on an overturned challenged double play tonight vs the Yankees

Signature intentionally left blank