MLB Regular Season 22: The Thread

Gary

19 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's just a statistical anomaly.

That's a good way of describing it.  

I can't tell you how many times I've watched pitchers fall apart the third time through the order despite having normal pitch counts and maintaining their speed.  It's hard, and that's why a single-pitcher no hitter / perfect game is so impressive.  

While a solo no hitter is an impressive feat for the pitcher more so than a ding against the other team, the combined no hitter is just the opposite - a ding against the hitless, rather than anything impressive by the pitchers.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

This poor kid cant catch a break. Last year she went to San Diego to visit her favorite player Joey Votto when the Reds were in town. He got ejected in the first inning. Today she went to see Jesse Winker (former Red now with the Mariners) in Anaheim. History has now repeated.

2021:

FWNcqrMWQAMyc46?format=jpg&name=large

2022:

FWNcqgNXgAEkKI7?format=jpg&name=large

Damn that has to be devastating.

In happier news, Yankees bleacher creatures going wild over a little girl's bottle flip

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ninersdd said:

Crazy stuff going down in the OC! 

I need to know what went down in their time together with the Reds that Iglesias and Winker are now at each other's throats. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, heavybass said:

That all started because one of the Mariners threw a ball deliberately at Mike Trout's head.

Well, firstly the intent of that ball isn't exactly obvious since it could have just as easily slipped out of the pitcher's hand and Trout was intentionally walked anyway.

BUT, if it was intentional, it wasn't what started the whole chain of events but was in fact a retaliatory move for this:

There's a discussion in a social media thread that I've been following that makes a good point that this whole melee kind of puts a nice bow on (especially the development that the two beaning attempts [one successful] were orchestrated by an opener who was inserted in the lineup at the last minute).  It can truly be argued right now that the Angels are approaching the Astros in being a villain/pariah franchise, as this organization:

*Had narcotic and spider tack trafficking rings operating under its roof (not even including the steroid shipments being mailed to Glaus at the stadium years back)

*Treated (and continues to treat) minor leaguers in the organization subhumanly

*Manipulated the city government to enter into a backroom below-market value stadium deal while blatantly circumventing state housing laws (which has been killed due to a scandal that caused the mayor's resignation and has gotten the Feds involved)

*Has an owner who constantly meddles in the front office to the club's detriment due to his own ego (Pujols, Hamilton, Wells, Matthews Jr, Cozart, etc), fires GMs who refuse to be yes-men, and who hasn't sat down for an interview with the media in at least two years

*Is wasting the careers of two generational talents

*Continues to alienate its fanbase by embracing a larger media market that fans don't identify with

*Favors ego-driven splash hires in other aspects of the organization over the actual fan experience (hiring Matt Vasgersian as PBP despite him being forced to call games on delay from monitors in New Jersey)

• Like 3

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, LMU said:

Well, firstly the intent of that ball isn't exactly obvious since it could have just as easily slipped out of the pitcher's hand and Trout was intentionally walked anyway.

BUT, if it was intentional, it wasn't what started the whole chain events but was in fact a retaliatory move for this:

There's a discussion in a social media thread that I've been following that makes a good point that this whole melee kind of puts a nice bow on (especially the development that the two beaning attempts [one successful] were orchestrated by an opener who was inserted in the lineup at the last minute).  It can truly be argued right now that the Angels are approaching the Astros in being a villain/pariah franchise, as this organization:

*Had narcotic and spider tack trafficking rings operating under its roof (not even including the steroid shipments being mailed to Glaus at the stadium years back)

*Treated (and continues to treat) minor leaguers in the organization subhumanly

*Manipulated the city government to enter into a backroom below-market value stadium deal while blatantly circumventing state housing laws (which has been killed due to a scandal that caused the mayor's resignation and has gotten the Feds involved)

*Has an owner who constantly meddles in the front office to the club's detriment due to his own ego (Pujols, Hamilton, Wells, Matthews Jr, Cozart, etc), fires GMs who refuse to be yes-men, and who hasn't sat down for an interview with the media in at least two years

*Is wasting the careers of two generational talents

*Continues to alienate its fanbase by embracing a larger media market that fans don't identify with

*Favors ego-driven splash hires in other aspects of the organization over the actual fan experience (hiring Matt Vasgersian as PBP despite him being forced to call games on delay from monitors in New Jersey)

A well run Angels squad would have been a force to be reckoned with on the field, in the stands and at least top 5 in team value. What a waste. Tragic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

9 Angels and 3 Mariners suspended. Its one thing to see players, manager and coaches get suspended. I dont think Ive ever seen an interpreter getting suspended though.

FWTP-s_UUAA4Yiu?format=png&name=4096x409

Will Ohtani's interpreter fill in then? 

I saw, I came, I left.

I have to revise my stance that the DH is the stupidest rule in baseball, because it's been supplanted by something even worse: the automatic intentional walk. I'm not sure how, in the incessant quest to Improve the Pace of Play, saving 30 seconds of IBB sounded like a good idea, but giving the pitching team the authority to order the batter to go to 1st base makes no sense at all.  Why does the batter have to do what the opposing team's manager tells him to?  Why doesn't the pitcher have to pitch? It's preposterous!

5 minutes ago, The Six said:

I have to revise my stance that the DH is the stupidest rule in baseball, because it's been supplanted by something even worse: the automatic intentional walk. I'm not sure how, in the incessant quest to Improve the Pace of Play, saving 30 seconds of IBB sounded like a good idea, but giving the pitching team the authority to order the batter to go to 1st base makes no sense at all.  Why does the batter have to do what the opposing team's manager tells him to?  Why doesn't the pitcher have to pitch? It's preposterous!

This change saved baseball for a new generation and brought in over 5 bajillion new fans, please understand

• LOL 1

The auto-intentional walk is one of those things where my first instinct is to say, "the end result is the same, you're not changing that much, it's insignificant to the game in the long run, so why complain?"  But conversely, all of those reasons also apply to "why change it in the first place?"  It's change for the sake of change.

• Yawn 1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, The Six said:

Why does the batter have to do what the opposing team's manager tells him to?  Why doesn't the pitcher have to pitch? It's preposterous!

I hadn't ever thought of that, but it's not the worst argument I've ever heard.  The thing is, the batting team would never accept the auto walk, as they'd certainly want the pitcher to add 4 pitches to his pitch count, which would defeat the purpose of the rule.  Also, the pitcher could just plunk the batter out of spite.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."