2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

I totally agree with Ridley's suspension and I agree with BBTV that one has nothing to do with the other. I almost feel bad for Ridley...yeah, he should have known better but for the most part, he's being suspended for being stupid.  I don't think he's a bad guy and I do think Watson is a bad guy.* That said, the NFL has no choice but to send a decisive message about gambling. It's a far bigger threat to the integrity of the game than any off-field transgression and it's apples and oranges. Therefore, on its merit (i.e., with no regard for unrelated punishments), I think the suspension of Ridley is correct, even if he's not "one year's worth" of a bad guy.

Watson's situation is far murkier. He's been accused by a lot of people and he's made payouts. He's never been convicted of anything and it doesn't look like he will (for past transgressions, anyway). As a person convicted of nothing, he has the right to be employed. The NFL, on the other hand, has a right to protect the shield by not condoning his actions.  The NFL is probably to blame for the suspension being too short because of its history of making up their punishments as they go and reacting to fan outrage (see Gate, Deflate along with Rice, Ray). It put the arbitrators in a difficult position. That all said, though, I honest to goodness don't know what the league's punishment should be. The NFL's inconsistent history, the number of accusers, the lack of legal punishments, the civil payouts, etc. all add up to a giant mess. 

*Funny, though, he's never been convicted. I once suggested that not being convicted of sexual assaults doesn't mean you didn't do it and was ripped pretty hard on these here boards. At least a couple of you should think he should not be suspended.

• Like 4

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It is definitely a slippery slope with how to determine a punishment for someone that was not criminally indicted. I personally think he is guilty of some disgusting stuff and so does the NFL, but I think the NFLPA would have to draw a line and fight back if he received some sort of unprecedented punishment. I think a year would have been reasonable, but I also am not upset with 11 games and the largest fine (by far) against a player in NFL history. 

T1oYViW.png

22 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Watson's suspensions being  anything less than the entire season is BS. Another example of why the NFL is a joke. 

Apparently all that gambling they advertise is so much worse than slapping your **** across a woman's face. 

Players have also gotten worse for weed. 

Repeated offenses with weed, and other drugs. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 hours ago, BBTV said:

From a moral standpoint, no doubt - Watson is worse.  But from a business standpoint, Ridley might be worse.  Also, the rule Ridley broke had a defined punishment, whereas what Watson did is in a very gray area - especially since he (to my knowledge) wasn't charged with a crime.

Don't get me wrong - I think Watson should have gotten more.  But his and Ridley's situation is apples and oranges, and personal-conduct issues can't be compared against other infractions that are more black and white. 

I agree with this, but I wonder if the NFL was talked out of an indefinite suspension due to Watson sitting out semi-voluntarily last year and the fact that no criminal charges exist, only civil charges that will not lead to jail time. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I agree with this, but I wonder if the NFL was talked out of an indefinite suspension due to Watson sitting out semi-voluntarily last year and the fact that no criminal charges exist, only civil charges that will not lead to jail time. 

I'm pretty sure that any decision would be binding since the appeal process was collectively bargained, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it was done in conjunction with the NFLPA and 11 was the max they could do where the PA would simply accept it without turning it into a circus or finding some grounds for legal actions.

I really don't think it's as simple as "suspend him for the year!!!!"  If it was, they would have done it, as that would have saved the league some face and I really don't think they care about Watson the same way they might protect other stars.  

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Repeated offenses with weed, and other drugs. 

And that's only because the NFL used it as a cudgel against players in the PED negotiations. Even though weed is in no way a performance enhancing drug, unless the player had untreated anxiety affecting their play.

Even when the NFL did relax their rules on it, they've kept the former punishments in place,  arguing "the transgression against the rules is being punished, not the transgression we now deem acceptable being punishment".

The NFL (and all major sports leagues) is that enforcement of their rules, punishment for their rules, and the arbitration of those punishments is entirely decided as they come up. When gambling's role in the sport was the third rail, the punishment was drastic. However, no one actually felt the punishment is warranted. It then makes all these 'behavioral punishments' seem lax. Because they are. But no league will make off the field transgressions factor more than on-field transgressions. They do so only for marketability.

Same reason Watson's first game is against the Texans. The NFL knows what they're doing. And they've stopped caring about being quiet about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

And that's only because the NFL used it as a cudgel against players in the PED negotiations. Even though weed is in no way a performance enhancing drug, unless the player had untreated anxiety affecting their play.

Even when the NFL did relax their rules on it, they've kept the former punishments in place,  arguing "the transgression against the rules is being punished, not the transgression we now deem acceptable being punishment".

The NFL (and all major sports leagues) is that enforcement of their rules, punishment for their rules, and the arbitration of those punishments is entirely decided as they come up. When gambling's role in the sport was the third rail, the punishment was drastic. However, no one actually felt the punishment is warranted. It then makes all these 'behavioral punishments' seem lax. Because they are. But no league will make off the field transgressions factor more than on-field transgressions. They do so only for marketability.

Same reason Watson's first game is against the Texans. The NFL knows what they're doing. And they've stopped caring about being quiet about it.

It'd be funnier than a mug if Watson pulls the ultimate uno reverse card on the NFL and chooses to sit that one out--or the Browns keep him on the bench--citing "not wanting to be a distraction to the team or the game"* while alluding he/they know what the league is up to...

Spoiler

*Any more of a distraction than he already is....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

He was busted for cocaine and heroin as well. The league should be coming down hard for those the first time, let alone the third or fourth. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If this is true, I almost wish it happened just to see raider fans reactions after years of burning Brady's image  in effigy. And of course Gruden blow up the deal because he'd rather quit than coach the QB that cost him a possible Super Bowl trip. 

Also McDaniels going to the Raiders would have made so much more sense.  

• LOL 1

On 8/18/2022 at 2:50 PM, DoctorWhom said:

Watson's suspensions being  anything less than the entire season is BS. Another example of why the NFL is a joke. 

Apparently all that gambling they advertise is so much worse than slapping your **** across a woman's face. 

Players have also gotten worse for weed. 

The NFL pretends to care about stuff when they don't.

Regarding Watson:  If you want to see the absolute low of the low of fans, parents, and t-shirt vendors, look here.  I'd post the tweets or links but there's some language that probably wouldn't be looked highly upon.  Someone else can post if they want.

Look through the whole thing.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/08/how-fast-did-this-browns-fans-mom-file-for-custody.html

6 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Regarding Watson:  If you want to see the absolute low of the low of fans, parents, and t-shirt vendors, look here.  I'd post the tweets or links but there's some language that probably wouldn't be looked highly upon.  Someone else can post if they want.

Look through the whole thing.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/08/how-fast-did-this-browns-fans-mom-file-for-custody.html

I was hoping our fanbase would be a little more tasteful than Pittsburgh fans during this whole thing. Embarrassing display. 

• Like 4

T1oYViW.png

Calf tattoo, no ring, Watson jersey, the pride with which he's holding that sign with his kid. That's the most divorced man I've ever seen.

Browns fans need to tell this guy that's not cool behavior. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 8/22/2022 at 1:14 PM, Sport said:

Calf tattoo, no ring, Watson jersey, the pride with which he's holding that sign with his kid. That's the most divorced man I've ever seen.

Browns fans need to tell this guy that's not cool behavior. 

Unfortunately there are enough idiots that probably wanted a picture with those signs that he won't listen. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png