Cleveland Cavaliers Reveal New Uniforms for 2022-23

Indigo

We really are living at the nadir of design in the NBA. At least the crazy designs of the 90s felt like they had actual effort placed into them.

• Like 4

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

8 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Can someone tell me what was so wrong with these?

They were clean. Won a title in these in '16. Could've been modern classics.

c9f7b9b8ecdc21103bef47bcfa157139--sports-logos-the-s.jpgj-2.gif

My theory is that these, along with the Wolves, Clippers, Nuggets, Pacers and Suns' jerseys in 2017, were impossible for Nike to create on their new template, so they just made new designs (which is how we got the last Cavs set with bevels and stuff). 

Then Cleveland goes and gets an artist who specializes in minimalistic art, and has him design a basketball uniform, which are known for having at least some design elements.

This is how we got here. And I fear for the future.

38 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

My theory is that these, along with the Wolves, Clippers, Nuggets, Pacers and Suns' jerseys in 2017, were impossible for Nike to create on their new template, so they just made new designs (which is how we got the last Cavs set with bevels and stuff). 

No I disagree on this one. The pre-Nike Cavs design isn't that different from the Celtics and Nets which are pretty similar in their use of striping and minimalist aesthetic. I don't see anything in the current Nike template that inhibited that design.

My suspicion is that the Cavs had long been planning a redesign based on the theory that their 2011-2016 set was viewed as the post-Decision hangover uniforms and were looking for a do-over after a few failed title runs once Lebron came back.

Of course, the team didn't count on winning a title in the year immediately before the change was scheduled to happen.

The current nike template does have armhole stripes that randomly stop without fully encircling the armhole on sets that utilize such striping, so there’s one way the switch to nike may influence design changes.

• Like 1

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Colors are great, the word marks and numbers are really nice, but literally nothing else? No striping of any kind? Not even on the collar, shoulders or waistband?  

These are not even glorified practice jerseys, but glorified men’s rec league uniforms. The word marks and numbers with no additional design look like something that belongs on a t-shirt sold in the team shop for the people who don’t want to wear the jerseys themselves. 

This is awful. 

• Like 2

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

32 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

No I disagree on this one. The pre-Nike Cavs design isn't that different from the Celtics and Nets which are pretty similar in their use of striping and minimalist aesthetic. I don't see anything in the current Nike template that inhibited that design.

My suspicion is that the Cavs had long been planning a redesign based on the theory that their 2011-2016 set was viewed as the post-Decision hangover uniforms and were looking for a do-over after a few failed title runs once Lebron came back.

Of course, the team didn't count on winning a title in the year immediately before the change was scheduled to happen.

And Cleveland just happened to release their set when the league switched uniform providers? 5 other teams changed as well, and they didn't have the same situation as the Cavs. I don't know whether the team wanted to switch because of a new template, or the template forced them to, but the change defintely involved the Nike switch. 

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

Idk, I never liked this set.  Just look at the logo on the shorts with the sharp modern lines... They don't jive with the classic striped trim or the whimsical, weak (IMO) font that always felt cartoonish to me.

• Like 1

Some minimalistic design is good. Lots of college football teams have really improved by minimizing the loudness they had on some of their stuff.

However, it’s not always the best route in my opinion. This feels just like a safe, underwhelming attempt to make the fans happy. I’m not sure it has any soul, really.

lots of these teams have now become more “corporate”, and bland. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Kg54mvp said:

Some minimalistic design is good. Lots of college football teams have really improved by minimizing the loudness they had on some of their stuff.

However, it’s not always the best route in my opinion. This feels just like a safe, underwhelming attempt to make the fans happy. I’m not sure it has any soul, really.

That the word I was looking for! "Corporate" defines this perfectly, down to the ad patch on the shoulder.  This lifeless, soulless brand that says "Here are the Kia Motors-sponsored NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers brought to you by Cliffs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

Proprietary number font that now includes the line through the middle.

Silicone application for the gold.

Textured trim around the arm holes and collar.

V hoop logo hidden in the overlap in the side of the shorts.

Waistband logos.

If you don’t like those details, that’s fine. But they’re there.

The number font is the only thing that’s actually visible, and even still when every team has a custom font it special, the application just looks cheap like screen print numbers

20 minutes ago, Kg54mvp said:

I'm actually surprised at how many fans seem to approve of these.  Lots of "clean" "cold" etc comments, which I guess means they like them?

The more I see them, I think they will look a lot better during games. I don't completely hate them as much as I did initially. But they are still pretty meh.

7 hours ago, Cujo said:

The trim is a busy but these were solid. Adding the in-line to the numbers and script would be an upgrade imo

The way the gold looks is pretty good. I think they were counting on the shiny wordmarks and numbers to be the focus  of the design so they went minimal. Overall the uniforms have character which is something the Utah Jazz don't have.

You can see what I mean in this pic of Kid Cudi.

FX9GR4hX0AIX-I8?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3

bSLCtu2.png