2022-23 NHL Season

BrySmalls

10 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Tage Thompson has 5 goals tonight...through 2 periods.

Wow!

Right now, his career is looking like the most un-Sabres thing ever. He had 35 points total in his first 4 years in the league. Last year, he exploded with 68 points. The Sabres decided this was good enough to give him a $50M contract (which doesn't take effect until next season; he's still making $1.4M this year). Normally, for the Sabres, he would immediately get injured or otherwise disappear from the scoring sheet... but he has 21 goals and 40 points in only 26 games so far. If he keeps playing somewhere between this season and last season, it's going to be one of the best contracts in the league.

• Like 1

Tage Thompson looks like a longer, rangier Connor McDavid. It's really fun to watch. Not fun against the Blue Jackets, but it's fun to watch. He reminds me a basketball player out there and I mean that as a compliment. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, logo-maker said:

This happened last night:

Good guy Cale: Avalanche's Makar convinces ref to rescind Islanders' penalty

I think I heard somewhere that Ovechkin did this last season.

Afterwards he told the media that he apologized to his teammates, and said that it wouldn't happen again. It reminded me of this old commercial:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully Vegas can come up with a good-looking "fauxback" like Nashville did a couple years ago. Would be nice if Seattle went for a Metropolitans look, but I get the feeling it'll instead look like one of those vintage nautical decorations you can buy on Etsy or something.

Also, I'm not exactly superstitious, but between the losses and injuries, I wouldn't be mad if the Pens never played outdoors again (unless they did PNC Park, I guess).

oBIgzrL.png

If the league is mixing in a little bit of newness to the Winter Classic with locales like Seattle and Dallas, it might be coming that Columbus could be the host against an opponent like Detroit to play up the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry?  Denver could be a possibility as well.

There's two long-held rumors circulating in Blue Jackets online circles about hosting a game at Ohio Stadium and why it hasn't happened and won't anytime soon:

1. Rumor is someone in a position of power with the team doesn't want to do it so they haven't asked the league.

2. Ohio State, who is a terrible partner with the local pro teams, claims the stadium isn't winterized and they don't want to winterize it for one event. Notre Dame and Michigan stadiums hosted Winter Classics just fine, Ohio Stadium itself has hosted below freezing football games before, so I call BS on that. They could make it happen if they wanted to, but they don't want to because they don't like anything in the city that isn't about them. 

And that's without getting into all the issues about the team not being a large national draw or being, ya know, good. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

There's two long-held rumors circulating in Blue Jackets online circles about hosting a game at Ohio Stadium and why it hasn't happened and won't anytime soon:

1. Rumor is someone in a position of power with the team doesn't want to do it so they haven't asked the league.

2. Ohio State, who is a terrible partner with the local pro teams, claims the stadium isn't winterized and they don't want to winterize it for one event. Notre Dame and Michigan stadiums hosted Winter Classics just fine, Ohio Stadium itself has hosted below freezing football games before, so I call BS on that. They could make it happen if they wanted to, but they don't want to because they don't like anything in the city that isn't about them. 

And that's without getting into all the issues about the team not being a large national draw or being, ya know, good. 

Also, the potential of hosting a playoff game in Columbus increases in a few years, so maybe that "excuse" of winterizing will be lifted.

I would've gone with Lumen Field for a Seattle Winter Classic venue, but T-Mobile Park would be more intimate which is probably the decision the NHL went with. Either way that should be a fun change of pace.

And to echo the above conversation, I know I saw some Jackets fans upset they were passed by another two franchises getting in the outdoor game train again (I'll technically not count the Lake Tahoe games for Vegas), but I have a feeling that's way more Ohio State getting in the way than anything else. I know the Jackets have only had a year or two of being in the national discussion, but they seem like a ripe place to have at least a Stadium Series with Ohio Stadium. But knowing the whole Value City Arena-Nationwide Arena wars through the years I can easily see that Buckeye roadblock.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

14 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

I would've gone with Lumen Field for a Seattle Winter Classic venue, but T-Mobile Park would be more intimate which is probably the decision the NHL went with. Either way that should be a fun change of pace.

I would seem to think that maybe they had to work around the Seahawks dates for what would be the 2023 NFL season.  The dates probably arent public, but I know setup and deconstruction for a Winter Classic would take 10-14 days total, which could overlap two possible Sundays.

• Like 1