2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Was it even a rule back then?

I've wonder about this in the past and haven't found anything conclusive, but this article seems to allude that it wasn't at the time.  I always thought it might have been, though.

https://www.defendingbigd.com/dallas-stars-vancouver-canucks-2007-playoffs-game-7-rob-shick-brad-watson-sabotage-bitter-resentful/

"Vancouver was so rattled at this point that they went off script and chose to wear their weird third jerseys for game seven (which teams can no longer do in the playoffs) to get out of their funk. Did it work? Well, they would proceed to score zero even-strength goals in game seven, which, well..."

it was a rule dating all the way to before the 1999 playoffs. Dallas was told the only way they'd get to wear their alternates in the playoffs was if they replaced the black jersey for the entire playoffs.

so they did.

then the Canucks doing it for game 7, it was a baller move because it was totally against the rules. but one of those rules that you know there can't be any actual punishment for breaking. they did it. what was the league gonna do? make them forfeit game 7 over the color of their sweaters?

it was a big topic of conversation at the time.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 7:34 PM, the admiral said:

anaheim ducks alternate jersey cheap online

An when I look in the toilet bowl, it's purple. PURPLE AND BLACK

Every time I see the Ducks play, I think I’m back in the pants

• LOL 4

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

3 hours ago, steve61 said:

Has there been any update to the rumour a few months back that the Jets will be changing their home/away to some version of their Heritage Classics for 2023/24?  

I'm going to assume it's not going to be happening because the draft and the summer have came and went and we're almost at the new season without anything. I guess they could also surprise everyone but I don't know if it makes good business and logistical sense to drop a full rebrand so late in the offseason. Of all the recent rebrands I've found, they were all announced in the preceding June to the season.

IIRC, it also came from that kid is on Twitter X who I don't know how he became a source in the first place. I also don't know what his hit rate is, but he has gotten stuff wrong in the past.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I'm going to assume it's not going to be happening because the draft and the summer have came and went and we're almost at the new season without anything. I guess they could also surprise everyone but I don't know if it makes good business and logistical sense to drop a full rebrand so late in the offseason. Of all the recent rebrands I've found, they were all announced in the preceding June to the season.

IIRC, it also came from that kid is on Twitter X who I don't know how he became a source in the first place. I also don't know what his hit rate is, but he has gotten stuff wrong in the past.

Correct, aint happening.

On 8/25/2023 at 7:31 AM, ruttep said:

That Sabres jersey was so bad that they were forced to bring back the original jersey as an alternate (with front numbers for some reason):

spacer.png

And they were even allowed to wear them in the 2007 playoffs for a select few (but not all) home games. Does anyone know why that is? The Canucks did the same thing that year.

Ugh, I forgot they kept the navy pants and helmet from the primaries for this look though. What a mess!

13 hours ago, 5ss22 said:

I think it would be cool if hockey teams could paint the center and "blue" lines in team colors. I have also never played competitively so I don't know how much players rely on the colors to tell where they are.

The colors of the red and blue lines are league-mandated, and I severely doubt they'll ever change that since having consistent line colors league-wide is much better for everybody with how baked-in the association is. It's like how every NFL and MLB field uses white for the field markings.

• Sad 1

A leak confirmed what had already been suspected, Minnesota is bringing back their most recent Reverse Retro as a full time alternate. It looks like the only difference is the State of Hockey patch being added to the shoulder, and the regular NHL shield being used in the collar.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

A leak confirmed what had already been suspected, Minnesota is bringing back their most recent Reverse Retro as a full time alternate. It looks like the only difference is the State of Hockey patch being added to the shoulder, and the regular NHL shield being used in the collar.

spacer.png

I wonder what the odds are that they eventually move to some version of these as their full time set? I'm not saying they should, but this is how it starts many times. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

I wonder what the odds are that they eventually move to some version of these as their full time set? I'm not saying they should, but this is how it starts many times. 

If they make the playoffs and use this as their home jersey, then it'll be inevitable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

If they make the playoffs and use this as their home jersey, then it'll be inevitable.

It's the inevitable "North Stars in all but name" rebrand that was destined to happen the minute the team entertained the idea. This happens almost every time a team has a popular throwback/throwback-adjacent alternate - it overtakes the often-staid "modern" design.

Is the current hunter green/red/wheat all that stale?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It's the inevitable "North Stars in all but name" rebrand that was destined to happen the minute the team entertained the idea. This happens almost every time a team has a popular throwback/throwback-adjacent alternate - it overtakes the often-staid "modern" design.

Is the current hunter green/red/wheat all that stale?

I don't think it is, but as you allude to, it isn't the North Stars.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

Maybe, but I would be surprised. We've also seen teams bring back throwback colour schemes that don't end up being full time primaries (Pittsburgh double blue, Vancouver flying skate, Devils red & green). The Wild logo looks alright in the North Stars colours, but it was clearly designed with the regular colours in mind.