2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

5 hours ago, Dilbert said:

So teams still play four preseason games right?..........Today was the fourth preseason game for the Bengals right?........ Todays game doesnt count toward the regular season, right?..........Right? ...... Of all the teams Burrow faces,its the Browns he has trouble with the most? Ugh🙄

Bengals may pay him. But the Browns own him.

• Like 2

It feels utterly bizarre to have a consistently good Cowboys’ team from year to year. What a way to start the season and what a statement made tonight. 

FYI, Micah Parsons is going to win DPOY this season. 

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

On 9/8/2023 at 1:48 PM, Sport said:

100% agree. I hate opening with the Browns and Ravens when recent history, especially against the Browns, says they've been a bad matchup for the Bengals and the matchup math gets worse if the Bengals shoot themselves in the foot and get down early, which is what happened on Halloween last year and in 2021. I've been worried all offseason about a slow start because of Burrow's calf and the first team offense hasn't played together in 7 months. It's why I took the Browns in the CCSLC pickem league. They blew the game week 1 against Pittsburgh last year and it ultimately wasn't that impactful, but they spent the first half of the season chasing that loss.  Ideally you'd get to figure out your timing against, like, the Cardinals where laying a big ass week 1 egg isn't as detrimental if you trip over your own butts. 

As I was saying. Everyone around me was freaking out yesterday and I was nodding along the whole game like "This is literally what I've expected since the schedule was released." I hate being smarter than everyone. 

Annual medicine taking from Browns fans. Let us have it. Maybe this will be the year it actually ends up mattering. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

23 minutes ago, Sport said:

I hate being smarter than everyone. 

It's a tough gig, but someone has to do it. 😎

23 minutes ago, Sport said:

Annual medicine taking from Browns fans. Let us have it. Maybe this will be the year it actually ends up mattering. 

I ain't saying :censored:. I've been here way too many times to fall for this again. I'll believe the Browns are going 12-5 when the season ends and the Browns are 12-5. (Honestly, I'm not entirely sure I'll believe it if it happens.)  Until then, I see this win as nothing more than one of those "Team A has team B's number and no one understands why" deals.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

25 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

It's a tough gig, but someone has to do it. 😎

I ain't saying :censored:. I've been here way too many times to fall for this again. I'll believe the Browns are going 12-5 when the season ends and the Browns are 12-5. (Honestly, I'm not entirely sure I'll believe it if it happens.)  Until then, I see this win as nothing more than one of those "Team A has team B's number and no one understands why" deals.

Sometimes it just be like that. The AJ Green/Andy Dalton Bengals teams were always weirdly good against the Ravens in a similar way.

I'm not to going to panic too early, though. They got hammered in Cleveland last year to fall to 4-4 and then didn't lose another game until the AFC Championship Game. It's like everyone annually gets Collective September Amnesia and forgets how long the season actually is. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

21 minutes ago, Sport said:

It's like everyone annually gets Collective September Amnesia and forgets how long the season actually is. 

Exactly. Overreaction Monday after week one is always a hoot. The reality is Burrow had  practiced about five times since the calf injury, the weather conditions were terrible for a QB who had practiced about five times, and the Browns have some sort of voodoo magic when they play the Bengals.  If the 3-1 Bengals lose that game in the exact same fashion in week five, it's just a fluke and a bump in the road. But a "could see it coming from a mile away" clunker in week one means the season is shot and Burrow's contract was a huge mistake.

NFL fans are funny.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

Yesterday was a great example of why my scheduling proposal should go into production asap. There shouldn’t be any division games in week 1 while teams are still working out kinks and in some cases playing together for the first time. 

with 17 real games, playing starters in preseason isn’t that great of an idea since the players already think there’s too many games (but not too many dollars). 

Frankly, other than the obvious problem of a team starting 0-1, I wouldn’t read much into yesterday’s results (except maybe the Giants because lol). 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe the best suggestion for division games in the NFL is that there are two divisional windows during the season.  Each set of 3 division opponents has to fall somewhere in that time once.

I agree that Week 1 should be non-divisional games (sorry NBC for your Dallas-NYG boner for SNF what seems like every year for week 1). The first window could be 5-6 weeks starting maybe week 2 or 3.  During that time you will play your three divisional opponents.  The other window would be the final 3-4 weeks of the season, where the other 3 divisional opponents would fall (still keeping divisional games in Week 17 for certain.

I believe I laid out some scheduling ideas in the Pointless Realignment Outpost, mostly centered around consolidating bye weeks and limiting Thursday games to those who come off them, but I could get on board with the first week being fully interconference as a counterpart to the last being fully divisional. Kind of a baby dumbed-down college thing. I understand the impulse to open the season with a big game like Bears-Packers or Cowboys-Giants, but Week 1 is gonna be big no matter what, so keep the powder dry on those for the heart of the season. Besides, what fun is Bears-Packers on an 80-degree day?

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

Maybe the best suggestion for division games in the NFL is that there are two divisional windows during the season.  Each set of 3 division opponents has to fall somewhere in that time once.

The only issue with that is if you have your QB out for three weeks and it's those three weeks, you're kind of screwed the whole season.

As always, my only real schedule suggestions are to make rest even for everyone. Why it's not right now I'll never know.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If I'm doing anything with the schedule aside from Vet's brilliant suggestion, it's get rid of Thursday football games outside of Thanksgiving and stop guaranteeing nationally televised games for every team. Who the hell wants to watch the Cardinals play the Texans outside of sadomasochists? 

My suggestion was five bye weeks from Weeks 7-11, with 6-6-8-6-6 teams taking those byes, so no team had to play more than 10 games in a row (I was working on the superior 16-game framework). Thursday games can only come after your bye, with Thursday games ending with Thanksgiving in Week 12 and the package moving to Saturday night after that. This way, a team's games are never fewer than six days apart (there'd be no Monday to Saturday). 

That would preserve some partial Thursday/Saturday package to ramp up excitement over the season but aid in player safety by eliminating Sunday-Thursday turnarounds.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫