2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I agree on Buffalo. I guess we'd have to consider New England for Thanksgiving, too, but it should be some tight rotation of charter AFC teams.  Gotta keep Detroit, though. It's all they have!

It's tradition, especially for us Lions fans. Not the only thing we have this year as we have alot to look forward to. But doesn't feel like Thanksgiving in the house unless there's some kind of Lions games in the background. 

Out west, the early Lions Thanksgiving game has always been a bit of an afterthought. A lot of us are just waking up, getting ready, on the road, etc while that game is going on. The Dallas game has always been the game families out here rally around. My family (casuals) wouldn't notice/care of the Lions were yanked from Thanksgiving. But they'd sure as hell notice if the Cowboys game went missing.

6uXNWAo.png

Maybe Detroit can get the night game occasionally so better teams can get one of the afternoon slots.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

He wants to surpass TB12 in Super Bowl rings, so might as well follow him.  

Actually, it's more football related stuff.  How Brady would read certain defenses etc.  

if that’s the case Brady’s backups would actually have been good away from new england

• Like 2

I'm just looking forward to Opening Night. The Lions are the popular dark horse team this year, but I personally would've taken Buffalo, Cincinnati or Philadelphia instead. Eh, beggars can't be choosers and actually getting to see a full house see a banner unveiling is something I'm looking forward to watching. 

Lets be honest, Detroit and Dallas will ALWAYS host a Thanksgiving Day game.  

I wouldnt mind them allowing for some flexibility in those Thanksgiving day games to flex the start times.  Allow for Detroit or Dallas to shift to a different timeslot.

• Like 1

I have noticed that the league is proliferated with "Film Study" QBs.  These guys are terrible QB's on the field but in the QB Room, are the best at what they do, breaking down game film from a QB perspective.  How else do you explain guys like Nate Sudfeld, David Blough, Tim Boyle, Matt Barkley, Brian Hoyer, Nathan Peterman, Trevor Seimian, Blaine Gabbert and Nick Mullens always getting jobs in the NFL?  It's why Chase Daniel, Josh McCown and Chad Henne played for as long as they did.  Basically a second (sometimes third if there's an assistant) QB Coach, but one in uniform.

Is this something the NFL needs at this point?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Seems silly to me to pay a guy millions to be an assistant coach when he can't win you games on the field.  

I'm surprised to hear that Nate Sudfeld is still in the league.  There were a few people that thought he should have been the Eagles QB after Wentz went down in '17 and Foles struggled at first.  Dopes.  He's a guy that fits the "looks good in the uniform" criteria, but can't play.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I have noticed that the league is proliferated with "Film Study" QBs.  These guys are terrible QB's on the field but in the QB Room, are the best at what they do, breaking down game film from a QB perspective.  How else do you explain guys like Nate Sudfeld, David Blough, Tim Boyle, Matt Barkley, Brian Hoyer, Nathan Peterman, Trevor Seimian, Blaine Gabbert and Nick Mullens always getting jobs in the NFL?  It's why Chase Daniel, Josh McCown and Chad Henne played for as long as they did.  Basically a second (sometimes third if there's an assistant) QB Coach, but one in uniform.

I didn't even realize Nathan Peterman is still in the league this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

39 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Seems silly to me to pay a guy millions to be an assistant coach when he can't win you games on the field.  

I'm surprised to hear that Nate Sudfeld is still in the league.  There were a few people that thought he should have been the Eagles QB after Wentz went down in '17 and Foles struggled at first.  Dopes.  He's a guy that fits the "looks good in the uniform" criteria, but can't play.

Unfortunately, Sudfeld is out for the year with a torn ACL, but is likely to stick around with the Lions because of his "film study" acumen.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Who are you going to replace them with? The QBs who can win games are all starters, and there isn't even enough of them to go around.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:47 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

He's the backup. The speculation I read on PFT is that this gives Dallas another option if next year's required* renegotion with Prescott doesn't go well.

*Required in that his cap number would be BIG

Always take Florio's word/opinion on anything with a grain of salt. 

Word from the Cowboys' beat writers is that internally they hope Trey Lance can become Dak's backup instead of Cooper Rush. Hypothetically, if Dak had to miss some games because of an injury, the thought is that the offense under Lance wouldn't look that different from Dak (meaning they wouldn't have to limit the playbook) whereas they can't run the same offense under Rush. Obviously this is about the future as Trey is clearly QB3 at the moment. 

Basically the Cowboys simply took a flyer on a player who they rated highly because he still has a lot of upside in terms of potential and there is almost no downside because they only spent a 4th rounder to get him.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

4 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Always take Florio's word/opinion on anything with a grain of salt. 

Word from the Cowboys' beat writers is that internally they hope Trey Lance can become Dak's backup instead of Cooper Rush. Hypothetically, if Dak had to miss some games because of an injury, the thought is that the offense under Lance wouldn't look that different from Dak (meaning they wouldn't have to limit the playbook) whereas they can't run the same offense under Rush. Obviously this is about the future as Trey is clearly QB3 at the moment. 

Basically the Cowboys simply took a flyer on a player who they rated highly because he still has a lot of upside in terms of potential and there is almost no downside because they only spent a 4th rounder to get him.

Understood, but Rush was what, 5-1 as a starter? I think this may be the Dallas beat writers carrying Jerry's water for him.

Put another way, of these  two options, I'd buy Florio's over the beat writers.

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Understood, but Rush was what, 5-1 as a starter? I think this may be the Dallas beat writers carrying Jerry's water for him.

Put another way, of these  two options, I'd buy Florio's over the beat writers.

Florio went on a rant once, demanding to know why the recent hire of the new head of the NFLPA was so secretive, when nobody else cared.  He also uses every opportunity to bash Aaron Rodgers and to ask if Tom Brady is truly retired.  

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

Florio went on a rant once, demanding to know why the recent hire of the new head of the NFLPA was so secretive, when nobody else cared.  He also uses every opportunity to bash Aaron Rodgers and to ask if Tom Brady is truly retired.  

I know. I've been reading him since he ran his original website. He offers a lot of opinion, and I agree with a lot of them.

It's where I sit.

So, this season I wonder if we will have a team that everyone in the media says will suck but will surprise everyone?  Last year it was Seattle, because everyone (except Rich Eisen) thought that Seattle was going to be one of the worst teams in the league ranging between 0-3 wins.  Eisen on the other hand didn't think that the Seahawks were going to be as bad as everyone said that would be because of Pete Carroll.