MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I assume the narrower placket makes that difficult. 

Why not shrink the MLB logo ever so slightly so it fits in the placket? If you reduce the size by 15%, there shouldn't be a reason it wouldn't fit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Yeah, I think this is just a thing that the merch people have been doing. Can't find it now on a quick Google, but I've definitely seen some Red Sox merch using the City stencil wordmark, just recolored in classic navy and red.

Yes, in the MLB flagship store, this teal iteration of the Marlins City Connects (a shirt, not a jersey mind you) was displayed with color variations of City Connects for other teams as well. I remember the Padres and Angels being there. Definitely something that merch people do.

6 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Does this only apply to teams who use piping along the placket? The Yankees posted a picture of Soto's jersey in the team store, and the MLB logo is in the usual place. Unless they're still selling jerseys on the old template.

spacer.png

Oh that's weird - the Soto jersey has set-in sleeves, while the one to its right has raglan sleeves (like they wear in real life).  The one to the right is clearly coolbase, while the Soto is clearly a replica, so my question is if Yankees replicas always had set-in sleeves, or is this new?  It doesn't appear to be on the new template but can't say for sure.

I'm hoping that the new template doesn't interfere with the raglan templates that several teams still use, and are superior for pinstriped teams.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Davey said:

Are the numbers on the front smaller as well ?

what you call smaller, they call lighter 😉

• LOL 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

40 minutes ago, BBTV said:

what you call smaller, they call lighter 😉

Maybe we'll see more stolen bases as a result of the 0.000314% lighter material 😀

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

5 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Maybe we'll see more stolen bases as a result of the 0.000314% lighter material 😀

yeah they'll have to make the ball lighter to compensate.  Maybe they can come up with a lacing "system" or new "chassis" for the ball that will make it get to the base a 0.000314 seconds faster.

But the player will need lighter gloves so they can apply the tags faster.  I'm sure there's some parts of the glove that could be perforated or shaved down a fraction of a millimeter.  Gonna need to get some egghead engineers on that.

How does everyone here feel about the Yankees' apparent decision to not participate in the City Connect program? I get that the team has been historically committed to the "sanctity" of their brand, but still I think they could do something tasteful and within the parameters of their identity that would make most Yankees fans happy. I don't think anyone's suggesting they wear magenta and seafoam green like the Padres. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

How does everyone here feel about the Yankees' apparent decision to not participate in the City Connect program? I get that the team has been historically committed to the "sanctity" of their brand, but still I think they could do something tasteful and within the parameters of their identity that would make most Yankees fans happy. I don't think anyone's suggesting they wear magenta and seafoam green like the Padres. 

Their uniform is already a city connection. I'm ok with them not participating.

To be fair, I'd also be ok with NO teams participating.

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

41 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

If their heart is not in it and it would just result in something like the half baked Dodgers CC, then just let them be. Similar story with the Tigers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

While I like some of the City Connect designs (the Angels, the Diamondbacks, and, despite myself, the White Sox), it feels very good to know that a team is just refusing to participate in that.

I grew up a Yankee fan, but I no longer identify as one, because Yankee fans in my day had a  scholarly bent, while today's Yankee fans tend toward the stupid and goonish. But I continue to admire the fact that the Yankees do so much right in the realm of uniforms. One home uniform (white); one road uniform (grey); no coloured jerseys; no player names; one cap; and now no City Connect uniform to go with having had no Turn Ahead the Clock uniform.  In light of this excellent record, it's a pity that they succumbed to the uniform advertisement.  (I suppose that one could also cite the Nike swoosh, but the team didn't really have a choice on that.)

• Huh? 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

There is no design that could ever connect with the city more than an interlocking NY on top of blue pinstripes

• Like 2

City Connect might be a commercial success for Nike but generally speaking, it's a massive artistic/design failure IMO. I like the Marlins' City Connects, but I applaud a team like the Yankees for not participating. There's maybe only a handful of City Connects introduced around the league so far that I consider to be passable.

I mean, the Yankees home uniforms and Detroit's old English D are some of the most iconic uniforms and logos associated with the cities themselves. How could some Nike-video game-created uniform better represent their respective cities than what they're already wearing on a daily basis?

• Like 4

I understand the idea of the Yankees pinstripes being their City Connect, so I wouldn't be surprised if they truly end up not having a jersey. It would honestly be pretty strange seeing them wear anything other than the pinstripes in Yankee Stadium.

Although I was very against the City Connect program when it was announced, as it felt like a cheap ripoff of the NBA City program (which, in reality, it still is), most of the designs have turned at least pretty decent. I love the White Sox & Angels, and the Diamondbacks, Rockies, and Astros are all pretty great too. Others are really nice but have one fatal flaw (The Mariners' black pants, the Pirates' batting helmets). Only a few are real stinkers (Baltimore, Dodgers, San Diego). Overall though, the program has resulted in some pretty unique and interesting designs, and I'm looking forward seeing to how the remaining teams turn out.

• Like 2

I think we can stop with the sanctity of the Yankees uniforms. Classics yes, but there's an ad patch on them, so the hand wringing over an alternate jersey is closing the barn doors at this point. Plus, they've worn every mother's day, little league, camoflauge and other assorted merchandise MLB has offered over the years.

• Like 1