MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

On 12/2/2023 at 1:22 AM, fortunat1 said:

(Never mind. Started to reply to a reply, not the original post.)

On 12/1/2023 at 3:58 PM, MJD7 said:

So far for 2024 City Connects we will almost definitely see:

I'm curious what other remaining teams we'll see, and if we'll get the rest of them, or push some back to 2025.

Doubt the Twins will debut a new Cash Grab Connect in 2024, given that they just introduced one in 2023.

36 minutes ago, M59 said:

Doubt the Twins will debut a new Cash Grab Connect in 2024, given that they just introduced one in 2023.

If you're referring to the "Twin Cities" alternate, that is not their City Connect, it's just part of their regular rotation. The article linked says that the team plans to have a City Connect for 2024.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2023 at 9:55 PM, MJD7 said:

If you're referring to the "Twin Cities" alternate, that is not their City Connect, it's just part of their regular rotation. The article linked says that the team plans to have a City Connect for 2024.

Sorry. My bad. There was something about the "Twin Cities" alternate that just screamed "cash grab connect" to me. Please return to your regular programming. 

• Like 4

On 12/5/2023 at 12:44 PM, marlinfan said:

A personal contact within the Marlins FO indicated they were workshopping new colors over the summer as part of a City Connect refresh.  They weren’t sure if this was for 2024 or 2025.

Not calling BS, but this seems weird for a number of reasons. First of all, those colors are purported to have significance for the "Sugar Kings" history, so it seems hard to swap them out with the tired and cliche vice colors, for example. 

And the Marlins have one of the few City Connect identities that's objectively good and universally praised. If you walk around the ballpark, it's pretty obvious that those sell well. I suppose Nike could be trying to do something more like what they do with the NBA. Basically replacing the city jerseys frequently even if they are popular.

What baffles me the most is that the Marlins would be entering their sixth season (in 2024), with this horrific rebrand instituted after Jeter's group bought the team. Now that the dust is settled, I really don't think this current identity is appreciated by the fanbase. If you walk around Marlins Park, far more people are wearing City Connects or OG Florida Marlins stuff. I'm very vocal in my hatred for this branding, but I genuinely don't think the look has been warmly embraced by the fanbase. And most fans would like some kind of return to the retro branding on a larger scale than sporadic throwback nights.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Not calling BS, but this seems weird for a number of reasons. First of all, those colors are purported to have significance for the "Sugar Kings" history, so it seems hard to swap them out with the tired and cliche vice colors, for example. 

And the Marlins have one of the few City Connect identities that's objectively good and universally praised. If you walk around the ballpark, it's pretty obvious that those sell well. I suppose Nike could be trying to do something more like what they do with the NBA. Basically replacing the city jerseys frequently even if they are popular.

What baffles me the most is that the Marlins would be entering their sixth season (in 2024), with this horrific rebrand instituted after Jeter's group bought the team. Now that the dust is settled, I really don't think this current identity is appreciated by the fanbase. If you walk around Marlins Park, far more people are wearing City Connects or OG Florida Marlins stuff. I'm very vocal in my hatred for this branding, but I genuinely don't think the look has been warmly embraced by the fanbase. And most fans would like some kind of return to the retro branding on a larger scale than sporadic throwback nights.

I watch a fair amount of games and I feel like I see more 2012-2018 gear in the stands than the current look too. Or maybe it's about even, but definitely enough to stand out to me.

ClAFLDa.png

I think the Marlins branding is a really odd case.  I really love the colors -- the combo of black, pink and a bright aqua is unique.  But the super black-heavy way it's applied makes it lose all the vibrancy of those other colors. Just drowns it out and makes everything look drab and hard to read. 

I agree that the easiest, and more popular move, would be a return to the retro branding. Moreso, I'd like to see some modernization of it, akin to what San Diego and Minnesota did with their rebrands.  Come to think of it, the current design of the uniforms might have been a good modernization of the old look had they reverted to the original colors. 

At the very least, I'd like to see some color redistribution with their current look. I think there's some really strong potential there that's lost in a sea of black. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I think the Marlins branding is a really odd case.  I really love the colors -- the combo of black, pink and a bright aqua is unique.  But the super black-heavy way it's applied makes it lose all the vibrancy of those other colors. Just drowns it out and makes everything look drab and hard to read. 

It's "caliente red," not pink. I wish it was, though. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

I watch a fair amount of games and I feel like I see more 2012-2018 gear in the stands than the current look too. Or maybe it's about even, but definitely enough to stand out to me.

I agree with this. By my estimate, among the four identities (retro Florida Marlins, City Connect, 2012-2018, and the present branding), you are least likely to encounter someone wearing their current, everyday set. It seems pretty obvious that it never really generated much enthusiasm from the start and our fanbase never really grew into it.

5 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I agree that the easiest, and more popular move, would be a return to the retro branding. Moreso, I'd like to see some modernization of it, akin to what San Diego and Minnesota did with their rebrands.  Come to think of it, the current design of the uniforms might have been a good modernization of the old look had they reverted to the original colors. 

At the very least, I'd like to see some color redistribution with their current look. I think there's some really strong potential there that's lost in a sea of black. 

The colors aren't bad and they are unique shades of red and blue, but they are still a "red and blue team." No other team in MLB is wearing shades like those, but the OG teal was more distinctive, even if the Mariners and Diamondbacks have variations on teal shades.

But for me the biggest problem wit the current identity is that the logos are absolutely ghastly. I can deal with the colors, but they really need to come up with a better wordmark.

• Like 2

I'll take this Marlins set over the 12-19 11 out of 10 times. I hated that look. Too many colors, the logo sucked. The only redeeming thing about it was the orange jersey and they barely wore it. The oranges hats were only worn like once or twice.

Like someone else said, if they just emphasize teal/blue more it would be a big upgrade. The black alternate is atrocious. You can't read it. But the teal BP is beautiful. (Is that even still around?)

Swap black and blue on the home word mark, make the hats blue, drop the black alt and promote the BP. You can even leave the grays as is and you can still sell your black hats. Although I might consider filling the M in white on the hat.

But I'll also take the throwback look or some update of it back in a heartbeat.

The city connect should stay as long as that program still exits. That's probably the best of the city connects, at least top 3, amongst a lot of garbage.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I think the Marlins current colours are great, it's the application that stinks with only thin slivers of colour.

Also, the stitching in the logo is dumb and the placement has made me think the marlin needs to visit a urologist.

363775442019.gif

If you don’t have bloody, curved urine, then you’re not living. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

52 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I think the Marlins current colours are great, it's the application that stinks with only thin slivers of colour.

Also, the stitching in the logo is dumb and the placement has made me think the marlin needs to visit a urologist.

363775442019.gif

The logo is just a mess. Too much black, inexplicable rightward lean, and an uncanny valley wordmark that feels like an AI rendition of a script.

Also, if you look closely at the center version of the "M" version of this, the fish's tail is deliberately truncated in a way that bothers me.  It seems like the designer didn't want more overlap in the center of the M, but it just looks so sloppy and half-assed to me.

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

If you don’t have bloody, curved urine, then you’re not living. 

can  confirm.

• LOL 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Survival79 said:

bvQORKS.png

That placket piping... YIKES.

Nike is working REALLY hard to make headspoons a thing of the past. Also, what the heck is going on with the new version of the "D"? Seems like it's gotten really long at the top and bottom. One can only hope it's just a camera angle thing...because it's neck and neck with the tiny, tiny headspoon for worst element on the jersey.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 12:57 AM, Marlins93 said:

So I would agree that I don't think this is happening, however today I was in the MLB store in NYC and there was lots of city connect Marlins gear recolored to teal. Notably one tshirt was the crown logo, with the Florida fish logo (the round one) on the sleeve. 

• Like 1

Anubis.png