Most Memorable Sports Plays Of All Time

fonz

People, people.

This was a play that defied all logic in sport: remember that this play was made 490 feet from where it started. As Bob Costas said, "Catching the ball was out of the question."

mays1016.jpg

"And it's a loooon drive waaaay back into centerfield, way back, and it's --- OHHHHHH, caught by Mays! Willie Mays has just brought this crowd to its feet with a catch which might have seemed like an illusion to a lot of people."

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People, people.

This was a play that defied all logic in sport: remember that this play was made 490 feet from where it started. As Bob Costas said, "Catching the ball was out of the question."

AUMAYS20P.jpg

"And it's a loooon drive waaaay back into centerfield, way back, and it's --- OHHHHHH, caught by Mays! Willie Mays has just brought this crowd to its feet with a catch which might have seemed like an illusion to a lot of people."

Too bad the centerfield fence was 483 feet away and that was a good 60 feet from it. :P

1997 | 2003

Four from the same guy (not as good as Mays, cause Mays also threw the ball back into the infield...)

EDMOPHU008013~Jim-Edmonds-Game-7-Diving-Catch-NLCS-Posters.jpg

http://www.thebirdwatch.com/archives/001149.html (sequence from earlier this year...Edmonds on the hill in Houston)

edmonds.jpg

There was one more in Cincy before the new stadium was built. Its a picture from behind the wall and you can see him reaching over and behind the wall his full arm length.

Ozzie being Ozzie...

ozzie.jpg

I know this is a terrible image...but this has been called the greatest play of all time. Back when Ozzie was with the Padres...there was a sharp hit ball up the middle. Along the way it hit a rock and came back towards left field. In one motion, Ozzie barehanded the ball and threw the runner out at first.

Here's video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEkbcoF6z2o

(do not listen to the audio...its terrible. But some of his most memorable plays are on there...the second one (after the flip) is the one above...

Seeing as how Kirby Puckett's home run was already taken...I bring you this.

205px-The_Tackle_SBXXXIV.JPG

[st. Louis Rams radio broadcast] Here's McNair, throws a pass to Dyson. Reaches for the goal line. NO!! He falls short!...The Gateway to the West is not the gateway to the BEST team in the National Football League[/st. Louis Rams radio broadcast]

Oh please. Super Bowl 2000 was not one of the best moments in sports history (ever).

It's been six years. Get over it. Find something more contemporary over which you can brood ad nauseam. Please.

040310_bertuzzi_hit_250.jpg

Indescribable. Moore definitely deserved what he got. Of course, being an Avs hater, i am biased.

world_series_win01.jpg

Oh yes this was great. Sox break the curse.

10103760.jpg

My favorite moment in all of sports.

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

Indescribable. Moore definitely deserved what he got. Of course, being an Avs hater, i am biased.

He deserved to get nearly paralyzed? Explain that logic to me. I mean I hate the St. Louis Cardinals but I wouldn't be cool with it if someone murdered Albert Pujols.

PvO6ZWJ.png

He deserved to get nearly paralyzed? Explain that logic to me. I mean I hate the St. Louis Cardinals but I wouldn't be cool with it if someone murdered Albert Pujols.

Im with you. If you agree with what Todd Bertuzzi did, than you need to reexamine yourself, because that's just plain wrong. Steve Moore could have become paralyzed, or died, and even in your mind you see Moore as a jerk, you can't justify Bertuzzi attacking him like that.

It was one of the biggest :censored:, classless, and pure stupid acts Ive ever seen commited, sports scene or non sports scene. How Bertuzzi got off so light, is beyond me.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

It was one of the biggest :censored:, classless, and pure stupid acts Ive ever seen commited, sports scene or non sports scene. How Bertuzzi got off so light, is beyond me.

All right. Bert flew off the handle, but you're saying he got off light? The NHL kicks him out for the year, and Vancouver blows it in the first round of the playoffs. My fat ass, got off light.

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

It was one of the biggest  :censored:, classless, and pure stupid acts Ive ever seen commited, sports scene or non sports scene. How Bertuzzi got off so light, is beyond me.

All right. Bert flew off the handle, but you're saying he got off light? The NHL kicks him out for the year, and Vancouver blows it in the first round of the playoffs. My fat ass, got off light.

Who cares about the playoffs? I realize we're on a sports logos message board, but c'mon, they're just sports. At the end of the day they should be nothing more than a distraction from the realities of everyday life.

Bertuzzi could have killed a man, and still, at the very least, it was assualt. He should have been in a jail cell for the better part of a few years.

Good job on having your priorities in order.

Im with you. If you agree with what Todd Bertuzzi did, than you need to reexamine yourself, because that's just plain wrong. Steve Moore could have become paralyzed, or died, and even in your mind you see Moore as a jerk, you can't justify Bertuzzi attacking him like that.

Ummmmm, SgtCarp, what the hell would justify Steve Moore getting nearly paralyzed and having his NHL career end?? Dude, you're an idiot. Straight up. But I guess we can expect that from someone who calls the owner of this board a nutsack. Bertuzzi definitely should have been in jail getting his salad tossed for a while, but unfortunately, he got off way too light. Also, you prevously said something about Vancouver losing in the first round of the playoffs. I'm pretty sure that the playoffs have nothing to do with assaulting someone. I don't promote violence, but I guess you do, eh?

Ummmmm, SgtCarp, what the hell would justify Steve Moore getting nearly paralyzed and having his NHL career end?? Dude, you're an idiot. Straight up. But I guess we can expect that from someone who calls the owner of this board a nutsack. Bertuzzi definitely should have been in jail getting his salad tossed for a while, but unfortunately, he got off way too light. Also, you prevously said something about Vancouver losing in the first round of the playoffs. I'm pretty sure that the playoffs have nothing to do with assaulting someone. I don't promote violence, but I guess you do, eh?

In the spirit of full discresion, Moore did take a run at Naslund in the previous matchup that knocked Naslund out for 2 weeks with a nasty knee contusion, and this seems to have been a score-settler that went horribly awry.

But hey, everyone's quick to defend fighting in the NHL as the equivalent to brushback pitching in baseball when it's brought up. I mean, everyone here seems to sign off on the idea of sending in a pitcher with the explicit purpose of beaning a team's star hitter in response to an HBP on a utility player... Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived