The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can someone here tell me why sychronized diving gets to stick around while softball and baseball get the axe after these Games?

One reasonable explanation might be than more countries participate in synchronized diving than American-developed base sports, and that increased worldwide participation is a better justification for keeping a sport in the Olympics than appealing to Southern jingoists who take far too much personally.

For every sport than Americans might be comfortable with, there are others than have far more worldwide reach (at least based on population that cares) or would be more immediately interesting to people not already familiarized. If softball and baseball get to stay, should we add cricket? Rugby? Hurling? A billion people in India and millions more throughout Europe, Southeast Asia, and South Africa would probably be thrilled to see cricket added to the Games. Should we? If not, why not?

But I thought the IOC liked to keep events that would give Americans medals. I mean...that seems to be the raison d'etre of most of the additions to the Winter Games docket.

Oh....and Karoly's right. Those girls are not 16.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

US just upset France in the swimming relays. That means another gold for Phelps and his quest for 8 is still alive.

And the World Record got shattered.

By about half the teams in the final, no less. Un-f :censored: in'-believable.

And French anchor Alain "We're going to smash the Americans" Bernard became France's biggest goat since Zinedine Zidane.

CCSLC signature.png

US just upset France in the swimming relays. That means another gold for Phelps and his quest for 8 is still alive.

And the World Record got shattered.

By about half the teams in the final, no less. Un-f :censored: in'-believable.

And French anchor Alain "We're going to smash the Americans" Bernard became France's biggest goat since Zinedine Zidane.

Sacre Bleu

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

crazy thing is, is that the WR was SMASHED, i mean by like 4+ seconds. France may have lost, but they too also smashed the previous WR, they lost out to the US by .06. That's how epic that ending was.

Not that I really get into the Olympic Games when they come around every so often -- but NBC makes it so the events are almost impossible to care about or enjoy when there's a freaking one-hour tape delay out west!

"Awesome, the USA swim team killed the World Record! Can't wait to see it sixty minutes from now..." <_<

6uXNWAo.png

crazy thing is, is that the WR was SMASHED, i mean by like 4+ seconds. France may have lost, but they too also smashed the previous WR, they lost out to the US by .06. That's how epic that ending was.

Not that I really get into the Olympic Games when they come around every so often -- but NBC makes it so the events almost impossible to care about or enjoy when there's a freaking one-hour tape delay out west!

"Awesome, the USA swim team killed the World Record! Cant wait to see it 60 minutes from now..." <_<

I hear ya on that one.

I just want to check my myspace or my e-mail or whatever, and on my homepage... "PHELPS TAKES 2ND GOLD!!!"

And this morning, the USA/China game was at 7:15 am Pacific time, which is 10:15 Eastern of course. And I thought that since it is "LIVE" coverage it would be at 7:15....

Nope... It was shown at 10:15. I dont mind the extra hours of sleep I got, it's just hard to avoid the score in this instant information age.

And really whats the difference between 9:45 primetime and 8:45 primetime... especially on a Sunday. The programming block is from 7:00-10:30... whats the huge problem with 6-9:30...

I don't get it. I guess thats the problem with a 15 hour time difference here... well... 16 hours if you go by NBC time.

But I doooo love women's gymnastics ;)

(I'm their age. I can comment on them... shh! Shawn Johnson and Natasha Liukin are mine! Nachos!) :lol:

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Boohoo, you're out west and you don't get to watch games live. For two weeks every four years you're affected. Living in the west coast the rest of the time is a dream for a sports fan. You get to watch prime time athletics in the middle of the afternoon. When monday night football ends you're just starting to think about getting ready for bed. I think you'll be fine.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Natasha Liukin [is] mine! :lol:

OK you can have her, I'll take Nastia.

EDIT: damn it Maz!

EDIT 2: Oh and I can't sympathize with you one bit on the time things. You get eternal sunshine and 80 degree weather, celebrities everywhere, big mansions, great beaches and such, and the NFL at 10 AM. Plus we have to adjust to your stupid schedule and start games at 10 freakin' PM when a team from the east plays in the west so you poor guys can get your normal schedule. Nope, I'm going to enjoy this. :D

Shawn Johnson and Natasha Liukin are mine!

Its Nastia, you n00b. :P

ooo see thats better...

I always like them Nasty-a! (...nastier...)

oh! ba-zing! giggity!

And that was a very nice perform ass... I mean performance... :D

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Boohoo, you're out west and you don't get to watch games live. For two weeks every four years you're affected. Living in the west coast the rest of the time is a dream for a sports fan. You get to watch prime time athletics in the middle of the afternoon. When monday night football ends you're just starting to think about getting ready for bed. I think you'll be fine.

You're right. Being a West Coast sports fan is pretty awesome. I had forgotten how great NFL at 10:15 in the morning is.

But I still don't see why NBC can't give the same feed throughout the whole country. The way it's set up now is bizarre.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I just watched a video of the opening ceremony highlights on the NBC Olympic site and caught a pretty serious gaffe. Naturally, I got a screenshot of it to share with you.

This is Lin Hao, the kid who led the Chinese team into the stadium alongside Yao Ming. Notice something odd about the flag he's carrying?

openingceremonykidke3.jpg

Actually after the obligatory Google search, I see I'm a bit late to this particular party...

CCSLC signature.png

You're right. Being a West Coast sports fan is pretty awesome. I had forgotten how great NFL at 10:15 in the morning is.

But I still don't see why NBC can't give the same feed throughout the whole country. The way it's set up now is bizarre.

Agreed. They're trying to make the Olympics into a primetime reality show instead of a live sporting event.

Also, with all the sporting events that people back east complain about because they go so late... they only go that late so they can get primetime ratings on the east coast, not because they're catering to us out here.

And, to those who think we're spoiled out here, try sitting though a few earthquakes, then get back to me. Also try dealing with the media circus of these celebrities taking over every single news broadcast and tell me that it doesn't get old after a while. Additionally, tell me how blessed we are to deal with higher gas prices due to pointless environmental additives and how our beautiful weather creates that lovely drought that we always deal with.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived