MLB 2009

mania

I know that if the Phillies attempted it with their current script, it would not look good.

I think the Phillies could pull it off if they angle the script from southwest to northeast. I wish they would replace the sleeve numbers with the primary logo or the Liberty Bell logo.

I'm all for the Phils trying to do it, but of the remaining teams that do not have it, theirs would be the most difficult. But the way I see it, if San Francisco can do it, everyone should be able to! :)

You make a fantastic point about San Francisco. Before I read that, I was about to post that Philadelphia gets the only free pass from me. Part of my reasoning though, besides the length is that "Phillies" almost makes it obvious what city they're from. It's kind of old school too, in that waaaaay back in the day teams used to be referred to as "the Detroits", "the New Yorks" and so forth.

You're right. They are an old school team that is doing the old school thing....I still wanna see the city name on the jersey though. A few of us were talking about St. Louis too. The more I think about it, the more I think the city name will look fine on their uniform. Thoughts?

The examples a page or two back gave every indication that it would look great. Make it happen, Cards!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, those Baltimore away jerseys are underwhelming. They totally suck ass! Way to botch it Orioles. And your new bird sucks too.

I absolutely detest with every fiber of my being the stupid little "Orioles" script on the sleeve of the road jersey. Reminds me when the Dodgers had their script logo on their sleeve for a bit. And just as ridiculously ugly.

That right there instantly turned this otherwise-fine revamp into a complete DUD to me. Amateur hour.

I think Philadelphia can definitely work on a jersey, but not using the Phillies script going straight. It needs to be more like how the Nats fit Washington or Baltimore fit thier names on their road jerseys by using a more traditional cursive font using a bit of an angle.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I agree ever team should have their city on the road uni's and the concpets a few pages back were excellent. DOes anyone know if the runors that the Rangers putting "TEXAS" on their home uni's is true. If so, that is truly bush league (no pun intended). Everyone know that they are from Texas and they are not a relocated team like the A's were in the late 60's and had "OAKLAND" across their chests.

I agree ever team should have their city on the road uni's and the concpets a few pages back were excellent. DOes anyone know if the runors that the Rangers putting "TEXAS" on their home uni's is true. If so, that is truly bush league (no pun intended). Everyone know that they are from Texas and they are not a relocated team like the A's were in the late 60's and had "OAKLAND" across their chests.

Well, the Rangers did come from Washington....but that's been quite a while ago. It does not surprise me though that they would do that.

I've always believed that the cap color should match the color of the numbers and letters on the jersey. This won't be a popular opinion, but since the Red Sox began emphasizing red in their uniforms, their navy caps have not matched well. I'm sure there are other teams that violate the rule, but I'm too tired to think about it right now. :P
The Orioles, Braves and Indians (though they have a red brim on some caps), D-Backs, Mets (most of the time) and Twins all have different color caps and numbers.

The first three, with the matching cap bills, can certainly get away with it. The Dbacks certainly need to go with matching red numbers instead of the horrible black ones. The Mets will remain a mess all around until they rid themselves of the black for good.

I have a similar problem with the Red Sox, but that's because I believe that the caps should ideally match the socks, or failing that the undershirts. When the Sox had navy undershirts, their set worked pretty well because the undersleeves were navy and that was enough to balance out the look on most days. When they moved into their "red, baby, red!" phase, the caps suddenly looked out of place.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my opinion of the Red Sox caps. I mentioned this on a baseball board and was shot down because the cap "is such a classic". It is a classic, but it also no longer matches the uniform.

As for the Orioles, here's my review of the series of non-cartoony birds they've had recently:

3022211159_4d248469ee_b.jpg

From what we can see of the new logo, I like it. Never liked the steriody-bird, too static.

I think many/most people, even those who visit this board, are unaware that the 1998-only version ever existed. I didn't realize it until I visited Andy Theole's souvenir batting helmet site. Heck, I'd venture to guess that 90-some percent of the general public is unaware that the bird has changed any since 1989!

Wow, those Baltimore away jerseys are underwhelming. They totally suck ass! Way to botch it Orioles. And your new bird sucks too.

I absolutely detest with every fiber of my being the stupid little "Orioles" script on the sleeve of the road jersey.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

hy⋅per⋅bo⋅le   /haɪˈpɜrbəli/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [hahy-pur-buh-lee] Show IPA Pronunciation

?noun Rhetoric. 1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as ?to wait an eternity.?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I have a similar problem with the Red Sox, but that's because I believe that the caps should ideally match the socks, or failing that the undershirts. When the Sox had navy undershirts, their set worked pretty well because the undersleeves were navy and that was enough to balance out the look on most days. When they moved into their "red, baby, red!" phase, the caps suddenly looked out of place.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my opinion of the Red Sox caps. I mentioned this on a baseball board and was shot down because the cap "is such a classic". It is a classic, but it also no longer matches the uniform.

The problem in that respect is that they essentially designed away from a classic cap (and did so unnecessarily, IMHO). It may just be me, but I liked the Red Sox overall look better before the emphasis on red (jackets, undershirts, etc.).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

WIN:

Robio.JPG66Aparicio.jpgdobsono.jpg

LOSE:

baltimore_jersey_markakis.jpg

See the difference?

The new script blows.

I think the new script is fine, except I don't care for the loop in the "L", I preferred it closed as in the old jerseys. Otherwise the "B" looks fine and all the other letters and flourish are fine.

On Edit: Is it just me, or is the "B" now identical to the Braves "B"?

metslogo_215.gif

St. Louis should stay away from the city name on the jersey. The wordmark is classic and unlike every team (sans LA), the gap in the city name is too large for it to work.

This isn't like Baltimore where the city wordmark was taken away years ago. The Cardinals, for 99.9% of their existence have had the Birds on the Bat with 'Cardinals' underneath it.

Changing it would be silly in the name of conformity.

elbirdosjerseys-1-1.jpg

If the Nationals want to maintain some of their past and strike a happy medium between red and blue why don't they simple flip the old Montreal Expos "M"?

that would actually be a sweet idea!

curlyexpos.gif

excellent. i would like to see a concept based on this. i do not have the talent

Nice! Also, here is what it looks like with a straight up flip...

expos1-1.jpg

The tapered "Baltimore" looks fine to me. It matches the tapering on the Orioles mark (it's just more noticable since the word is longer.

Yea, thats what I'm thinking. The Baltimore script matches the Orioles script almost exactly. The "B" is the same size as the "O" in the Orioles script. It just looks bigger because the script gets smaller (because its longer).

I also don't like the scripts on the sleeve. But as someone else pointed out, I think it was Angelos' "trade-off" for putting Baltimore on the roads. I think they'll be gone soon enough.

The problem in that respect is that they essentially designed away from a classic cap (and did so unnecessarily, IMHO). It may just be me, but I liked the Red Sox overall look better before the emphasis on red (jackets, undershirts, etc.).

I think they had to emphasize the red more than they used to. The red sets them apart from the Yankees, and with that rivalry heating up even more in the last decade, they didn't want to have a similar look to the Yanks.

If the Nationals want to maintain some of their past and strike a happy medium between red and blue why don't they simple flip the old Montreal Expos "M"?

that would actually be a sweet idea!

curlyexpos.gif

excellent. i would like to see a concept based on this. i do not have the talent

Nice! Also, here is what it looks like with a straight up flip...

expos1-1.jpg

Actually its been rotated 180 degrees. A straight flip would have the red on the left and the blue on the right.

WIN:

Robio.JPG66Aparicio.jpgdobsono.jpg

LOSE:

baltimore_jersey_markakis.jpg

See the difference?

The new script blows.

Uh, no. Looking at those Jays jerseys for the last few years has comprimised your aesthetic sensibilities. :P

The new script is the "WIN." It matches the Home script quite well and it looks tons better than all those old scripts. Especially the last one, where it looked like it was written by a guy who'd been using a jackhammer all day.

If these duds had the Nationals/Angles/Giants style colar trim, they'd be fantastic, but I know Pete and the boys would never "copy" anything from the (G)Nats organization.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived