Which city has the best set of logos?

yoo

I think parts of New York's various teams are brilliant like the Yankee's NY, the Jet's uniforms, the Knick's secondary, the Ranger's lady liberty alt, and I'm even fond of all the Met's stuff.

But, c'mon. The Knick's main is weak, the Jet's main makes the Brown's main look dynamic and the less said about the Giants the better.

And how come there is so much red in the Yankee's logo? It's nifty, but it doesn't seem to fit.

Damn, I sound like Andy Rooney.

I agree that the Knicks is easily the worst of the bunch. That said, just because a logo isn't "dynamic" doesn't mean it isn't good. I love the simplicity of the Giants and the Jets. Understated isn't always a bad thing.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I am partial, but I think the Atlanta Braves 'A' is one of the most recognizable logos in sports, and that should count for something. The Falcons and Hawks vastly improved their logos over the past few years, and I am even a fan of the Thrashers look. I'm kinda surprised to see Atlanta only mentioned once before this post.

with the recent sig craze,as seen in mine i though which city/region/state/area has the best set of logos? (or worse)

my favorite by far is Pittsburgh and Calgary,love when a city's teams share the same colors,and the logo's are flawless IMO (i'm counting the Pirates "P" as there primary)

CHICAGO

ChicagoBlackhawks.gifchicago-bears-logo1-294x300.gif

2005_sports_bulls_logo.gif

I think parts of New York's various teams are brilliant like the Yankee's NY, the Jet's uniforms, the Knick's secondary, the Ranger's lady liberty alt, and I'm even fond of all the Met's stuff.

But, c'mon. The Knick's main is weak, the Jet's main makes the Brown's main look dynamic and the less said about the Giants the better.

And how come there is so much red in the Yankee's logo? It's nifty, but it doesn't seem to fit.

Damn, I sound like Andy Rooney.

I'm sorry, but I just can't take it.

bobsqu.gif

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

At the risk of being labeled a homer, though I don't really care, I gotta go with the following Top 10 (This is rather off the top of my head. When I have more time to think about it, some may change, but from what I can picture right now, this is the list):

Criteria: At least 3 teams in 4 major sports

1. St. Louis

2. Atlanta

3. Chicago

4. Denver/Colorado

5. Miami/Florida

6. Phoenix/Arizona

7. Houston

8. New York

9. Pittsburgh

10. Philadelphia

Next group in no particular order or rank:

- Los Angeles: Clippers' is probably keeping them out, but barely.

- Tampa Bay: Like the Rays', LOVE the Bucs', but the Lightning's logo is too weak.

- Minnesota: All are actually good. Just barely out of Top 10.

- Dallas (Dallas-FTW-Texas): Cowboys and Stars keep them out. Mavericks is very good. Rangers updated logo is alright, but would move them higher if they still had the "Star Badge-in-Diamond" logo from 1994 update.

Although I am much in agreement with most of the members, but I'd say Houston, with a Chicago as a very close second. For modern logos, The Astros, Rockets, and Texans have evolved (not so much the Texans) to being recognizable, iconic, and can truly stand the test of time without the feeling of being outdated. As with your Chicago franchises, from the Bears orange wishbone "C" to the timeless colors and uniforms of the Sox and Cubbies, from the Bulls logo to the Blackhawks signature warrior head...they're great and have ties to their histories across the board.

For the weakest set of logos though...that's a tough one for me to answer. Yes, there are weak logos out there, but for me to point out a certain city and say that all their teams have sub-par logos would be kinda wrong to say. I could say Minnesota (for example), but I grew up with the Viking head and horned helmet, while I like the idea of the Wild's now primary logo (although the Wild nickname is meh to me). And I could say Los Angeles with the Lakers and the Clippers having the most bland logos of all time... but I do like the simplicity of the Ducks and Kings. So I'd be undecided on that part.

So ends my small rambling. Hahahaha.

I have an idea for these types of threads in the future.

If you have to start your post with the phrase "I may be biased, but..." just stop right there.

How about which city THAT ISN'T YOUR HOMETOWN has the best set of logos?

yeah too often people forget there are thousands of other markets just in the usa, look past your backyard and make an educated suggestion

I'm sorry, but I just can't take it.

bobsqu.gif

D'oh uh ah, I was talking about individual Jet uniforms and terrible main logo. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Ironically that cartoon doesn't mention the rule for possessive plurals. It's Jets', Yankees', Mets', etc FTR.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Pleasantly surprised to see Houston so high on a lot of lists. Not including Houston, I must go with:

Chicago - Probably tops my list for the same reason as everyone else. Classic logos that are timeless and a great representation of the city. The Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Sox, Blackhawks just look Chicago and that says something.

Detroit - Love every logo they have. Not the biggest fan of the added black in the Lions set, but that's being petty. Detroit is a close second to Chicago.

Philidelphia & St. Louis - I put these two together, because I think they have some similarities. Both have hockey logos that have been around for decades and while hockey fans may love them, they don't do a whole lot for me as an outsider. Neither are bad, though. Predators, Buffaslugs, Ducks.. those bother me, these don't.

Their football logos were both originally bright and colorful and have morphed well into the modern era, IMO. Both did this with the late 90's formula of simply darkening colors, but both did it very well. I'm also a fan of both baseball sets, neither of which has changed very much over the past 4-5 decades, with the exception of some of the 70/80's sets from the Phillies, of course.

New York - New York would be much further down the list if it wasn't for the iconic Yankee "NY" logo. That alone is enough to vault the entire city up a few spots. If we didn't have an alphabet and someone drew something similar to the "NY" I wouldn't know what it was, but I would think it just looks cool. The rest of the teams don't necessarily look bad and I am a fan of how most teams share some shade of blue as their primary color.

Cleveland - would be higher if the Browns had a real logo of some kind. I love their identity and orange/brown tradition, but they seriously need some kind of icon to relate to. It's just odd that a franchise that drips with tradition like the Browns, only has a clip art helmet and an elf holding a football as their symbols. The Cavs have one of the best sets in basketball and I'm a big fan of the tribe's look.

Milwaukee - If we're grouping the Packers with Milwaukee, then they make the cut. I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Brewers have the best looking set of all of the "modern" looks. The Packers look is obviously a classic. What puts Milwaukee down the list is the Bucks. I don't dislike their look, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Boston is half good, half bleh, IMO. I'm a huge fan of the everything the Celtics and Red Sox have, but can't say the same about the Pats and Bruins. Just my opinion, I know many are fans of the Bruins "B".

BostonBruinsBear.GIF

532.gif

061017_boston_celtics_shamrock_logo.jpg

080707_Boston_Red_Sox_logo.jpg

i think cleveland is a close second,

indians logo is solid, although racist

while the cavs have suffered from many poor looks, the lebron era branding is stunning

the browns are questionable but the alt bulldog is strong

make the water in this logo frozen and even the minor league logo is cool

Monsters.jpg

Aren't we talking about PRIMARY logos? That Bruins one is an extermely irrelevant secondary logo.

New York

Rangers -- Traditional, but boring

Islanders -- Same as Rangers

Jets -- Just plain awful. Too busy

Giants -- Best of the bunch. Simple and a classic

Knicks -- Huh?

Yankees -- Pretty darn good. A classic

Mets -- A classic if it didn't have the black in it

So, no, New York isn't anywhere near the best.

Chicago - Not a single bad one (And as other posters have pointed out, add the Wolves and the Fire too!)

Detroit - I miss the Pistons' horsie *ducks gunfire* but glad they jazzed up an otherwise bland logo from the 80s. That aside, a great set

Had the Sonics not left, Seattle

St. Louis - I don't like the Rams redesign, but I definitely love the Bluenote

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Archived