NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

For those watching on CBC, who thought it was funny when Eric Godard said his favourite player growing up was Petr Sykora? All the camera guys and the others in the background started laughing, I thought it was hilarious.

Also, Matt Cooke's kid: "I skipped school." LOL

beLEAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Penguins actually did it. They defeated the mighty, mighty Red Wings.

Nice to see players like Guerin and Sykora get to taste from the Cup one more time before they call it a career.

6uXNWAo.png

I stayed up to watch the first two periods of the game (it was about 2:30am-ish by the time the second period was over). I hate to say it, but congratulations Pittsburgh... only thing now is that the NHL are going to continue to overhype Sidney Crosby, except much worse than ever.

Does anyone know of a cryogenics lab I can hide myself in until the Crosbymania blows over? (Or until Hell freezes over, whichever comes first)

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Wings fans are just blaming the refs, Bettman and are calling conspiracy. (see below)

Way to lose with class.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/forums/wings/lettersindex.php

-Dan

Like the few idiots there represent all the Wings fans world wide. That really isn't fair to lump the rest of us who did take the loss with class. Your comment is bordering on being hypocritical.

Secondly, atta boy Crosby. I'm glad that the best player in the world is on the best team in the NHL.

You are sort of right there. The best player in the world, even though he hacked his way through Game 5, was the one holding the Conn Smythe award.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

-I hate how Detroit fans cheered when Crosby was limping to the bench after being checked hard into the boards. Yaaaay, Crosby's out. Now are cup chances are better. <_<

Is that any different than fans cheering any other opposition players being injured after a hit?

I saw, I came, I left.

#1: I find it kinda ironic that this Stanley Cup ended somewhat similarly to how the last one ended; flurry of shots at the end, crazy miracle save, team on defense wins Stanley Cup. Pretty exciting game, Detroit definitely made it interesting near the end.

A Fleury of shots? lol

Screenshot of MSNBC.com's front page - evidently their headline writer either doesn't believe in spell-check, or believes in it too much...

msnbcpens.png

The space shuttle launch was scrubbed :(

Congrats to the Pens on winning a great Game 7 in Detroit.

6fQjS3M.png

Wings fans are just blaming the refs, Bettman and are calling conspiracy. (see below)

Way to lose with class.

-Dan

Like the few idiots there represent all the Wings fans world wide. That really isn't fair to lump the rest of us who did take the loss with class. Your comment is bordering on being hypocritical.

Secondly, atta boy Crosby. I'm glad that the best player in the world is on the best team in the NHL.

You are sort of right there. The best player in the world, even though he hacked his way through Game 5, was the one holding the Conn Smythe award.

Scooter,

Are you in the Metro-Detroit area? If not, tune into 971fm.com it is nothing but ref/bettman bashing and calling for conspiracy, its been that way since the ducks series.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

you know whats funny. i went to work last night, and i was asking people about the game, nobody even knew there was a game 7 or even realize that there was hockey finals going on. then i was commenting on how great it would be to see crosby and malkin win the cup and people were going, "who is this crosby guy?"

it was pretty much a grittle bunny scenerio. but i least i kind of got a sense why the coyotes or islanders will be in hamilton in the near future.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Way to lose with class.

-Dan

Scooter,

Are you in the Metro-Detroit area? If not, tune into 971fm.com it is nothing but ref/bettman bashing and calling for conspiracy, its been that way since the ducks series.

No, I'm not in the area anymore. But again, you are generalizing a few hundred fans with the millions of fans. I'm not doubting that there are fans saying that. I don't need to tune in to understand. Every single team, yes every single team has fans like that. Even fans of your favorite team, the Leafs. All the Wings fan I know have not been bashing the refs and Bettman. You should really stop bashing all Wings fans just because you hate the team.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Wow, what a season. I cannot believe the team went from near the bottom of the conference to the top of the NHL world. I was glad to see the cup come back to Pittsburgh, not just because I'm a Pens fan, but in the case of Hossa. Usually the greedy athlete gets the trophy and this time it didn't work out. What I'm sick of hearing is that how the fix was in for the Pens. I'm not going to delve into this topic again, and the stronger team probably didn't win, but right now it's the young guys' time.

I hate living in Pittsburgh, but right now we have the #1 most livable city, 6 Lombardi's (which no one has), the youngest captain to win a cup, and even the Pirates will be setting a record soon when they have their 17th consecutive losing season ;)

Anyway, congrats to both teams and this is how we felt last year Wings fans.

F NBC for not letting Wings fans in the Joe on their road games and not letting the outdoor TV on in Pittsburgh. Way to promote the game. FYI: I will not be watching reruns of lipstick jungle anyway.

KISSwall09.jpg

Congrats to the Pens!!!!! Certainly will go down as one of the more memorable cups in the last little while.

Crosby - Youngest Captain to win the Cup. The NHL's MEGASTAR finally gets his championship, the best thing that could have happened for the NHL.

Malkin - First russian to win the Conne Smythe and the first player since Lemieux in 1992 to take home both the regular season and playoff scoring titles. He's also a finalist for the Hart Trophy at next week's awards show in Las Vegas. Malkin had the most points in any playoff season since Wayne Gretzky put up 40 in 1993 becoming just the fifth player to lead the regular season and playoffs in scoring, joining Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Guy Lafleur and Phil Esposito as the only players to accomplish the feat.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Way to lose with class.

-Dan

Scooter,

No, I'm not in the area anymore. But again, you are generalizing a few hundred fans with the millions of fans. I'm not doubting that there are fans saying that. I don't need to tune in to understand. Every single team, yes every single team has fans like that. Even fans of your favorite team, the Leafs. All the Wings fan I know have not been bashing the refs and Bettman. You should really stop bashing all Wings fans just because you hate the team.

I'm no Wings supporter, in fact I was ecstatic to see them lose. That said, I'm giving Red Wings fans the benefit of the doubt. Their team played a fantastic series, a series that easily could have gone their way if a few bounces here and there had gone differently. In a series as fantastic and as close as this one, it's only natural to try and rationalize defeat, and the refs, Bettman, and a conspiracy are all easy answers. Though how anyone can claim there's a conspiracy to keep the Red Wings from winning is lost on me.

Plus, these are fans of a team that's been THE favourite to win the cup for years. Now they see this team getting up there in age, and losing to a much younger team and it kind of says "wow, the Red Wings' years at the top, in their current form, may be over."

Plus, there's always the shock of having a traditionally dominant team lose in a hard fought series to the team's fanbase. Sort of like the shock of not having their team of choice being the champions.

I wonder what Marian Hossa is thinking...

Maybe I have to do more myself to win a Stanley Cup? Man...Gary Payton had it so easy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What has just happened with the Penguins and Steelers is proof that god doesn't give a rat's ass about sports. Two titles in the same year to THAT city!? Are you kidding me? At least we have the Pirates.

woooooooo

how sweet it is

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

Archived