NFL 2010-2011

bowld

The red facemasks I like. The Raiders, Panthers, and Lions have silver helmets with black facemasks. The Cowboys have Silver helmets with blue facemasks. So it's nice to see some variety and have a team wear a silver helmet with a colour that pops like red.

The topic of facemask color gets overlooked most of the time. Let's face it, it's not exactly a topic of interest at happy hour. However, here are some of my useless thoughts on the matter:

I too like the red facemasks of the Pats and the yellow of the Redskins. Too many teams out there have black facemasks, and from a distance it's hard to tell the Lions from the Panthers, etc. You should be able to instantly tell who the team is on the screen, IMO.

I loved the Fouts-era Chargers unis, and especially with the yellow facemasks because it made them distinct from the Rams, who wore the exact same colors.

The Cowboys at least have an excuse for keeping their facemask gray: if they made it blue, which blue would they choose? The royal blue to match the white jerseys, or the navy blue to match the helmet star blue jerseys. Frankly, the Cowboys should be forced to choose one blue and stick with it.

I don't like this 'retro grey facemask' craze one bit. Why are the Colts wearing a grey facemask, when they last wore it in 1977 when they were in Baltimore? I liked the 49ers change but they should have kept the red facemask...they've got problems if they think going back to the Montana era will change anything, because that uniform was boring then too.

As far as suggested changes, I'd like to see the Raiders in a black facemask, the Lions return to the blue facemask, the Browns, Colts, and 49ers drop the grey facemasks, the Texans change to a red facemask, and the Broncos to orange.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've already made my opinion on the Patriots' uniform sets known, but I'll run back through it once more. Basically...it's a conglomerate of cluster:censored:.

The tapered shoulder stripes are actually okay by themselves (and a nice translation of the previous era's Flying Elvii shoulder logos)...but, on one jersey they're silver, on the other they're navy, which wouldn't be so big a deal if not for the a/ piping-trimmed sidepanels, which make for a mismatched look, both with the shoulder stripes and the two jerseys side-by-side; then you also have b/ pants stripes that don't even match up with the side panels (at least not the red trim in either, anyway), road socks that match with nothing else on the uniform, d/collar trim that, again, goes with nothing else on the uniform, and e/ all that paired with a stripeless helmet. And speaking of which, part of the reason that red facemask sticks out like a sore thumb is because so little red is used on the actual uniform itself.

I know they've won three Lombardis wearing these...but at some point, I really hope the Patriots look at simplifying these things a little bit. (And if they do, I also hope they use a bit of a bolder shade of blue...leave the navy drabness behind.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I thought it looked pretty neat. The Patriots wore white jerseys with silver pants through most of the '90s and nobody seemed to complain.

The blue pants with the oddly striped socks never looked good to me, the NOB lettering is too busy, the red facemasks look silly and mismatched, and the Flying Elvis is a terrible logo beyond repair. Those are my biggest obstacles to it being a modern classic. The home jerseys look okay from a distance, I guess, but that's it.

qick and dirty reclamation project:

afceuniformne1.png

Well for Elvis, I don't mind it. It's not fantastic, but I still don't get the hate. I think it's better then Pat, easily.

The red facemasks I like. The Raiders, Panthers, and Lions have silver helmets with black facemasks. The Cowboys have Silver helmets with blue facemasks. So it's nice to see some variety and have a team wear a silver helmet with a colour that pops like red.

The problem with the silver pants look is that I think, and CW will probably correct me on this, that the silver got lighter with the current look. The white on silver looks great in your mockup, and it looked alright with the last couple of 90s Pats sets, but the current shade of silver is to close to white to work, in my opinion (if it is indeed a different shade. It seems lighter, to me at least).

Both the Raiders and Cowboys have gray facemasks.

D'oh! Yeah, brain fart on my part. Still, my point stands. The red facemask pops on the Pats' helmets and allows them to stand out among the league's silver helmeted teams.

Best part about the Redskins helmets are the yellow facemasks same goes for the Patriots red facemask.

Agreed.

I'll out myself as another person who loves these facemasks. I am actually a bit surprised that they are hated by so many people around here.

I'm also a HUGE fan of the Patriots red facemask. It makes the uniform. The uniform would be more bland if the facemasks were grey or blue.

I don't have one problem with their uniforms, as long as they leave the grease-silver jerseys on the shelf.

Back when the 70th anniversary retros came out, I suggested such a hybrid of current logo/retro colors and a friend came up with:

freak.gif

You could also work the spear into the design as a secondary mark on the sleeves or the hips.

That helmet with the '94 throwbacks would be a great look as well. I like the older logo on the sleeve, too, but maybe move logo to helmet, throw some TV numbers on there, and maybe a few thin gold or white stripes on the sleeves and socks? I just love the dark maroon and the old gold together.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

As far as suggested changes, I'd like to see the Raiders in a black facemask, the Lions return to the blue facemask, the Browns, Colts, and 49ers drop the grey facemasks, the Texans change to a red facemask, and the Broncos to orange.

I agree with your first 2 suggestions, but I'd like Browns and Colts return to white facemasks, the Niners to go either back to red or switch to gold, and the Texans and Broncos to keep their current facemasks.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Has anyone heard if the Giants will be changing or discontinuing the alternate logo with the player coming out of the stadium due to the opening of the New Meadowlands Stadium?

I think they're updating it by replacing the old stadium with the new stadium.

Speaking of the G-Men, according to JohnnySeoul on wikipedia, rumor has it that they might unveil their throwbacks this season, a year earlier than scheduled.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Has anyone heard if the Giants will be changing or discontinuing the alternate logo with the player coming out of the stadium due to the opening of the New Meadowlands Stadium?

I think they're updating it by replacing the old stadium with the new stadium.

Speaking of the G-Men, according to JohnnySeoul on wikipedia, rumor has it that they might unveil their throwbacks this season, a year earlier than scheduled.

Speaking of his contributions, does anyone have confirmation that his mock-up is what the Colts 3rd uni will look like?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Speaking of his contributions, does anyone have confirmation that his mock-up is what the Colts 3rd uni will look like?

Not sure it's happening now. At least for the 2010 season. It had the Blue helmet (with the horseshoes on the back), but with a White jersey.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I just discovered - the first professional sports team to use PANTONE Goe colors in one of their designs. The Packers new throwback uniforms (Acme Packers, with the Navy jerseys with the number within a Gold circle) use a PANTONE Goe color for the Light Brown used in the pants, and another one for the Dark Brown used for the helmet color. I'm probably the only one who cares about this, but I'm seeing it as a sign of things to come. The Goe system is being positioned by Pantone as their primary color set, with what used to be called the PANTONE Matching System (PMS) being regulated as an additional, supplemental set - which is why PMS is now called PANTONE PLUS.

Anyway, here's the color palette:

GreenBayPackers_AUC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

What's the difference between the GOE and PLUS designations?

The Goe System is a whole new set of solid/spot colors, using all-new base inks. There are 2,058 colors. The PLUS series is what used to be called PMS. There are 1,341 colors in the PLUS library (there are 221 new colors in there). The PLUS Series also includes Pastels, Neons (formerly called Day-Glo), and two sets of Metallics - both the older set of Metallics, and a new Premium Metallics set that blends Silver with the Goe base inks.

Goe Guide - coated

FORMULA GUIDE - Solid Coated & Solid Uncoated

• 2 weeks later...

I think gold pants for the skins would be awesome...just like white pants would look great for the Saints.....but I doubt we will ever get a change after winning the sb....four different golds in one jersey..forever

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived