NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

While I think most of us would like to see the Canucks ditch the wale, at least the current set is consistent. Which is why them not changing for the 2010-2011 season isn't as bad as the Oilers not making a change. They're going to continue to look mismatched, with their road whites not just utilizing a different style then the home blues, but using a different colour scheme as well. Meanwhile the designated alternate navy matches the full time roads.

For one season, as they transitioned the throwback look into the full time look, fine, it works. To continue doing it, however, is mind-boggling.

I knew I remembered reading a quote from an Oilers executive sharing his displeasure with the new unis and plans to revert back. The Edmonton Sun article has since been deleted but this blog (http://www.onfrozenblog.com/2007/10/29/they-look-uh-a-little-plain.html) managed to capture it. I guess the plans to return to better jersey days went out the window with the sale of the team.

Cal Nichols (former team president):

?I have to be careful here. Reebok paid a lot of money,? [Nichols] said of the project bringing the new uniforms to teams around the league and the obvious NHL memo to everybody in the game that they all must love them.

I told Nichols I was writing about the awful new Oilers silks.

?I think that would be a good article to write,? he said. ?But just put me down for saying I liked our old uniforms. I don?t want to sound like an old stick-in-the-mud who can?t go contemporary.?

We wanted change. A lot of things motivated us to look at change. We have a new locker room. A new team. We saw it as rejuvenation. A breath of fresh air,? said [Oilers' CEO Patrick] LaForge.

?It was meant to be a sort of a Baltimore Ravens look,? he said.

So how do you get your stripe back?

?We can do it,? says LaForge. ?But not until 2009-2010.?

zzPEfBm.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patrick LaForge's idiocy aside, the Oilers situation is just weird. I was at the two most recent home games and the they had the Edge whites on sale for $65 and just a handful of of the navy / brown Edge available. The majority of the merchandise in the stores on site are in the vintage colours. It seems clear the organization, or at least someone within the organization, wants to make a change to the vintage colours, but something is preventing it. It might be LaForge protecting his "Ravens" jerseys or maybe the league has some sort of "you need to clear this crap out of the warehouse by selling it before you can make a change because even if we ship it to some impoverished country where the Bills won all those Super Bowls they'll just ship it back" policy. Whatever it is they need to fix it.

The other thing that made itself very clear is that Ottawa needs a major overhaul, ditching the Roman theme. The current logo is ridiculous and the wacky jersey template doesn't do it any favours. Red, black and white can be a great look (ex. Team Canada 2002) and they could do a lot with Parliament Hill / Canadian / original Senators (barber pole) imagery and style. Instead they have cartoon guy and SENS... :blink:

Has anyone had a good look at the new Sabres road and alternate jerseys? Is the new road jersey just a white version of their current alternate with a shoulder island? And is the new alternate royal blue or yellow? (I've heard different descriptions.) It'd be nice if they could phase out the silver from everything but the logos.

Thanks.

Anyone here who's seen the RBK style guides can confirm / deny / "no comment", but what Sabres fans have heard for the past while is that the new away sweater will be a white version of the current alternate (new home), with the new alternate being royal blue.

Reebok does not include images of non-current jerseys in their style guides for the upcoming year.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Patrick LaForge's idiocy aside, the Oilers situation is just weird. I was at the two most recent home games and the they had the Edge whites on sale for $65 and just a handful of of the navy / brown Edge available. The majority of the merchandise in the stores on site are in the vintage colours. It seems clear the organization, or at least someone within the organization, wants to make a change to the vintage colours, but something is preventing it. It might be LaForge protecting his "Ravens" jerseys or maybe the league has some sort of "you need to clear this crap out of the warehouse by selling it before you can make a change because even if we ship it to some impoverished country where the Bills won all those Super Bowls they'll just ship it back" policy. Whatever it is they need to fix it.

The reason for the navy jerseys being on sale is because EVERY store ordered WAY too many of them back when they first came out. Not even the official Oilers store saw the jerseys before they placed their orders. Every retailer just assumed the Oilers coming out with a new jersey would be eaten up by fans... until the jersey sucked, and the team missed the playoffs for 4 straight years.

So it's really just to get stock down. And if that means selling it at cost, so be it, that's what they're doing.

Not half as mind boggling as the fact those hideous practice jerseys were approved in the first place. Of all the Edge templates to choose from and they decide on the one that doesnt let the sleeve stripes go all the way around. Then they remove the horizontal stripes that have donned every Oilers jersey since the WHA and replace them with bettman stripes. Everytime I see those jerseys on the ice I get angry. Who designed such rubbish? Better yet who approved them? Why are they still around? If the Oilers insist of having a mismatched set at least retire the navy "alternate" so we dont have to look it anymore. They're enough to make your eyes bleed.

rant over

And for me what makes it even worse is that the template doesnt even put the numbers in the stripe break, which to me makes it look even worse yet.

Why does a team with 5 Stanley Cups and arguably the greatest player in the history of the game need to wear uniforms that offer no link to their storied past? The Oilers once had a uniform that people in the states would even recognize. What reebok did was the opposite of branding.

As for the rest of the Canadian clubs they all should change. Even Montreal could improve on that ugly template by implementing a lace-up collar like they had in the 70's.

Ottawa is a train wreck. Use the circular logo, add a few shadows to the feathers and be done. Add a mild barberpole uniform for a third.

Toronto will hopefully get it right next season. Too bad people are so attached to the Ballard logo which is totally stuck in the 70's.

Calgary needs to get rid of that ugly piping. Every time I look at it I see a halter top from the side.

The olympics are over. Vancouver needs to dump the orca and the Vancouver script. Oh and fix that wide 70's era striping so it matches the pants and socks that they currently wear.

Last but not least Edmonton. Bring back the classic uniforms but maybe tone down the colours a bit.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Why does a team with 5 Stanley Cups and arguably the greatest player in the history of the game need to wear uniforms that offer no link to their storied past? The Oilers once had a uniform that people in the states would even recognize. What reebok did was the opposite of branding.

As for the rest of the Canadian clubs they all should change. Even Montreal could improve on that ugly template by implementing a lace-up collar like they had in the 70's.

Ottawa is a train wreck. Use the circular logo, add a few shadows to the feathers and be done. Add a mild barberpole uniform for a third.

Toronto will hopefully get it right next season. Too bad people are so attached to the Ballard logo which is totally stuck in the 70's.

Calgary needs to get rid of that ugly piping. Every time I look at it I see a halter top from the side.

The olympics are over. Vancouver needs to dump the orca and the Vancouver script. Oh and fix that wide 70's era striping so it matches the pants and socks that they currently wear.

Last but not least Edmonton. Bring back the classic uniforms but maybe tone down the colours a bit.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with you for the entirety of one of your posts. But, here we are.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yes. Those colors stand out like a sore thumb, they definitely look amateurish and tacky in today's game.

Yes. Those colors stand out like a sore thumb, they definitely look amateurish and tacky in today's game.

Respectfully disagree. The old colours look spectacular and really stand out on the ice. The Midnight Blue and Copper scheme on the other hand looks painfully dated. The copper works on the crest because the embroidered oil drop is shiny. On the actual jersey however it looks dull and almost brown from a distance. The navy blue is also played out as too many teams in the 90's switched to it. The Islanders are replacing navy with royal blue and the Oilers should do the same. There is no reason for them to wear anything besides the jersey's they won 5 Stanley Cups in.

Respectfully disagree. The old colours look spectacular and really stand out on the ice. The Midnight Blue and Copper scheme on the other hand looks painfully dated. The copper works on the crest because the embroidered oil drop is shiny. On the actual jersey however it looks dull and almost brown from a distance. The navy blue is also played out as too many teams in the 90's switched to it. The Islanders are replacing navy with royal blue and the Oilers should do the same. There is no reason for them to wear anything besides the jersey's they won 5 Stanley Cups in.

If they go this direction, you'd think they'd have the sense to create a matching away jersey. The white practice joke they currently wear not only looks cheap and ugly, but doesn't correspond to the retro home at all.

zzPEfBm.png

Uh oh, looks like I'm right again!

CALGARY FLAMES ANNOUNCE THIRD JERSEY FOR THE 2010-2011 SEASON

The Calgary Flames announced today their third jersey for the 2010-2011 season will be the Flames Vintage jersey. In celebration of the Flames 30th Anniversary season this vintage jersey was worn five times in games versus the other five Canadian teams.

The new third jersey for the 2010-2011 season will feature Vintage jersey striping and colours on the new innovative fabrics and cut that was introduced by Reebok for the 2007-2008 season. The Edge Uniform System was introduced to better complement today?s game and to help improve player performance.

Tonight?s game versus the Ottawa Senators at Pengrowth Saddledome will be the last time the Flames will wear the vintage jersey this season. At the conclusion of the game all players will give the Jerseys Off Their Backs to 24 lucky fans who have been randomly selected through seat locations on ice level.

The third jersey will be worn up to 15 games next season and will be available at all FanAttic locations at the beginning of the 2010-11 season.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/official-calgary-flames-hockey-club/calgary-flames-announce-third-jersey-for-the-2010-2011-season/358547634129

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

When did Bobby Orr ever play for the Oilers? He retired before they joined the NHL!

When did Bobby Orr ever play for the Oilers? He retired before they joined the NHL!

*Looks at record books*

Nah, Gretzky's the one.

*Looks at record books*

Nah, Gretzky's the one.

Also ignored the arguably.

untitled-6.jpg

Part of me died when the Oilers left the great blue and orange they had.

I could somewhat get into the 2007 Finals team unis.

Then I was crushed when they went to Edge "practice jerseys" as full time game unis.

The roads have been easily the most disgusting set in the NHL since their inception

to Oilers lore. Bland unis - bland team.

The classic Cup jerseys should return as they were, especially color wise.

No toning down needed.

Orr and Gretzky - too close to call.

Even with all Gretz's records.

sig-1.png

The other thing that made itself very clear is that Ottawa needs a major overhaul, ditching the Roman theme. The current logo is ridiculous and the wacky jersey template doesn't do it any favours. Red, black and white can be a great look (ex. Team Canada 2002) and they could do a lot with Parliament Hill / Canadian / original Senators (barber pole) imagery and style. Instead they have cartoon guy and SENS... :blink:

YES! The Senators really could do much better with their uni's. The 'SENS' script makes me die a little on the inside. Which reminds me of the Lightning's 'BOLTS' logo which really is just terrible. NHL uniforms are really going downhill.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

YES! The Senators really could do much better with their uni's. The 'SENS' script makes me die a little on the inside. Which reminds me of the Lightning's 'BOLTS' logo which really is just terrible. NHL uniforms are really going downhill.

With the Penguins supposedly getting a new third this year, I've had this constant feeling that it's going to say "PENS". I'm very scared for this.

With the Penguins supposedly getting a new third this year, I've had this constant feeling that it's going to say "PENS". I'm very scared for this.

There's a new arena opening, and it's the 20th anniversary of the team's first Stanley Cup. If it's not the Lemieux/Cup-era throwback, I'll buy you a beer.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

There's a new arena opening, and it's the 20th anniversary of the team's first Stanley Cup. If it's not the Lemieux/Cup-era throwback, I'll buy you a beer.

Prepare to buy a beer, the team has already announced that its going to be another blue jersey, and for some reason once Lemieux and Co. arent much on using Pittsburgh gold.

Archived