College Football Uniforms 2010-2011

Brave-Bird 08

Maybe Turner Gill wants to convince himself that he's still in Nebraska.

I'm someone who really likes the all-white uniforms of the Colts, Jets, Dolphins, and others. I probably enjoy those because I'm so used to seeing them dressed that way, rather than making my decision based on any meaningful aesthetic criteria. That said, I'm starting to get annoyed with the white helmet trend for a couple of REAL reasons:

(1) As is the case with Minnesota's white-maroon-maroon, there's no balance within the uniform. It looks bottom-heavy in a respect. Add some white pants, like they did against Wisconsin, and it's much better.

(2) As is the case with both of Minnesota's combinations, we lose a sense of the school colors and their proper proportions. This gets tricky when I try to defend, say, the Dolphins' all-white look, because their colors are primarily aqua and coral. But I think at this point, we've come to accept white as major part of their identity. Not so with Minnesota. To extend the argument, a Kansas white-blue-white look would be better than white-red-white because red is generally a trim color for the Hawks and in this example, the secondary and tertiary colors would take precedence over the supposed primary -- royal blue.

Nothing profound here, but Lord, don't let Gill Husker-fy the Jayhawks.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But I think at this point, we've come to accept white as major part of their identity. Not so with Minnesota.

That's probably because the last uniform set didn't have white on the home uniforms (except the swoosh). I've always thought white as a trim color is unnecessary for the Gophers, whose colors are maroon and gold. If anything, Minnesota should be wearing gold shells. Hopefully the new regime fixes the uniforms (though that's the least of his worries).

217711.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Does EVERY team have an alternate White helmet now??

And ALL of them SUCK.

Except not. Arizona's are a classic look and they look great.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

No, I like having the option. In fact, I'd love it if we brought back the old school cardinal helmets as well.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Even BYU has a white alternate... wait a minute, how would anyone know since BYU hasn't played this year! In all seriousness, if you use white, then fine; but there are certain schools where a white helmet doesn't work. South Florida an Minnesota are two. I'm not sure about Kansas, but I think Kansas needs a rework. I don't have a problem with the use of trajan as a number font, but they need something better for the helmets. I'm just waiting for the day that schools like Army, Navy, and Notre Dame sellout to the latest fad. You know kind of like the Yankees with an alternate. :D

And ALL of them SUCK.

Except not. Arizona's are a classic look and they look great.

Arizona's whites aren't really the alts though are they? They've only worn the navy ones one time this season, correct?

Nebraska has white alternates, and white homes, and white aways, and white throwbacks, and white retros.... ;)

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

And ALL of them SUCK.

I know it's not an alternate, but Tulane's white helmet is a thing of beauty. I just wish they'd change the black facemask to green.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Perhaps this is a little early, but in the article about South Carolina's new basketball jerseys from UA it notes that they are getting an updated football set next season as well.

Clck

Gamecocks debut new jerseys

By ANDREW SHAIN - ashain@thestate.com

Want to see USC?s jerseys of the future? Then watch Gamecock basketball this season.

The men?s and women?s hoops teams are donning new uniforms from sports apparel maker Under Armour, which has outfitted the Gamecocks? football, baseball, volleyball and soccer teams in recent years.

The new hoops uniforms are using lettering and numbering that Under Armour intends to put on all USC athletic teams -- including new football jerseys coming out next season.

Using identical typefaces for names and numbers will make USC teams more easily recognizable, said Adam Clement, senior on-field designer for Under Armour.

?It will become the South Carolina font,? he said.

For the record, the letter font is called ?machine.? The numbers are a custom job, Clement said.

Starting in the fall of 2011, all Gamecocks teams should be wearing Under Armour uniforms with the same style lettering and numbers, he said.

That would just about coincide with a contract extension being discussed between Under Armour and USC that reportedly could be worth nearly double the original deal started in 2007.

Jersey designs now have a story behind them: ?It?s never art for art sake,? Clement said.

The new men?s hoops jerseys have thick vertical side striping inspired by the columns on USC campus buildings, he said.

The women?s basketball uniforms have curved lines in the shorts inspired by the crescent moon in the state flag and the campus paths, such as those in the Horseshoe, Clement said.

USC?s Under Armour football jerseys introduced in 2007 were designed with crescent moon-inspired curves as well.

Next year?s football jerseys will be an evolution of the current uniforms where the curved moons will move from the top of the shoulders to the front, Clement said.

?It?s a less-is-more look,? he said.

And jerseys these days also come with small details that Clement calls ?reveals.?

The new hoops uniforms have a small garnet patch on the front under the neck featuring the Palmetto tree from the school logo with ?1801,? a reference to the year USC was founded.

Inscribed inside the back neck of the uniforms are words from the USC alma mater, ?CAROLINA, FOREVER TO THEE.?

The new basketball jerseys are lighter than Under Armour?s previous models and stretch more for easier movement, said Derek Speicher, the apparel maker?s product line manager.

The men?s jerseys have a notch atop the shoulder for freer shooting. The women?s jersey comes with a more narrow back, called a ?racer back.?

And the jerseys are more tighter fitting than before ? reflecting a movement toward performance over fashion, Speicher said.

As Clement added, ?The less baggy your outfit, the faster you get up the court.?

The USC basketball teams received garnet, black and white versions of the new Under Armour jersey.

Those attention-grabbing gray jerseys from last year?s hoops uniform supplier Nike are not in the mix this season.

But Under Armour said it would be happy to provide jerseys of any color any program wants.

For instance, fans might see the defending national champion Gamecock baseball team in camouflage.

?It?s on the table,? Clement said.

Rumor has it that USF will also be getting updated UA uniforms for 2011. It's all just talk, but wouldnt surprise me at all.

HORRIBLE move.

Maybe a pant update, and definitely a helmet fix, but their actual jersey is among the best in the country, in my opinion.

SigReflect.png

But I think at this point, we've come to accept white as major part of their identity. Not so with Minnesota.

That's probably because the last uniform set didn't have white on the home uniforms (except the swoosh). I've always thought white as a trim color is unnecessary for the Gophers, whose colors are maroon and gold. If anything, Minnesota should be wearing gold shells. Hopefully the new regime fixes the uniforms (though that's the least of his worries).

217711.jpg

These are pretty, pretty uniforms. Everything that was good about this uniform has been changed in the new set. They double-outlined the numbers, added a bunch of white, inserted :censored:ty piping, added :censored:ty pants stripes, and added white pants. It's bad enough to watch the team as it is, but if we were still wearing these unis it wouldn't be quite as bad.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

It looks like the scout team in that clip is wearing decals that are made to look similar to Vandy. If you look at the clip carefully, you can see that the tips of the star are curved. I've never heard of a team making the scout team wear decals made to look similar to the opponent.

yeah. apparently they wore them b/c the scout team was mocking Vanderbilt's offense. i feel like they really would have had to go out of their way to either a) get Vandy decals or B) try to make fake ones...

just make the scout team wear black shirts... who knows...maybe Georgia is going to replace the oval G with a new gold and black star!!!!!!!!!

ok...maybe not

Archived