The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Interesting how they call their blue Creole now. Makes sense but looks very close to Carolina blue to me. Love the psychology of naming colors. Over here in Seattle people would resist using something called Grey Blue but would jump at using the same color if it's called Sound Blue (for the Puget Sound). All in the mind.

For comparison's sake:

NorthCarolinaUOfBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> NewOrleansHornetsBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Ignore the '1789' date on Carolina's swatch...I highly doubt they've used that color that long, but I needed a beginning date in my databases for these things.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and one more thing...when the Hornets' new color scheme was introduced, I mentioned that the Creole Blue was fairly unique in sports...the only other entity I could find that used it was Tulane U. Someone on the board said that they heard that it was intentional.

I think everything about the 2008 Hornets identity change was a downgrade. Color scheme, primary logo, wordmarks, uniforms, everything.

I respectfully disagree. I think the Hornets are one of the most complete packages in the entire league: the logos they emphasize, their colors, the relavence of colors to location, their court, their wordmarks, their uniforms, even their website is one of the best!

That said, I think Hugo is too cartoonish (which is probably why they're emphasizing the fleur-de-bee).

ujsignature.png

I like the New Orleans new identity too. I think the NOLA logo and Hornet logo's are really great. I think they fit well with the theme and location.

However, I think they dropped the ball with the yellow. I would have like to see them balance it within some other elements of the uniform. It is nearly non-existent on the Home jersey... and then stick out like a sore thumb on the Away jersey. Possibly making the wordmark white on the away and making the numbers yellow on both front and back of both uniforms might have been a better way to incorporate the 4th color. It may not be the best look, but again, it just looks out of place in away and almost doesn't exist on the home.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

NorthCarolinaUOfBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <--->

Ignore the '1789' date on Carolina's swatch...I highly doubt they've used that color that long, but I needed a beginning date in my databases for these things.

This topic came up on a thread about a year ago and I thought the reasoning as to how UNC landed on "carolina blue" was interesting. It was easier to find the explanation on wikipedia versus doing a thread search here:

"Since the beginning of intercollegiate athletics at UNC in the late nineteenth century, the school's colors have been Carolina blue and white.[125] The colors were chosen years before by the Dialectic (blue) and Philanthropic (white) Societies, the oldest student organization at the university. The school had required participation in one of the clubs, and traditionally the "Di"s were from the western part of North Carolina while the "Phi"s were from the eastern part of the state.[126] Society members would wear a blue or white ribbon at university functions, and blue or white ribbons were attached to their diplomas at graduation.[126] On public occasions, both groups were equally represented, and eventually both colors were used by processional leaders to signify the unity of both groups as part of the university.[127] When football became a popular collegiate sport in the 1880s, the UNC football team adopted the light blue and white of the Di-Phi Societies as the school colors.[128]"

Sorry if this has been posted, but apparently Dallas is getting a new logo - i highly doubt it for this season. Something must have been taken out of context.

By DOUG FERGUSON

PHOTO GALLERY

AP Photo

DALLAS, Texas (AP)

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban announced today there will be a fresh new look to the Western Conference team this year and he wasn't just referring to the addition of Steve Novak. "I think our franchise is on the cutting edge and I wanted to do something to freshen up our image." Says Cuban, the 52 year-old entrepreneur. "We have a beautiful arena in a very exciting city and I felt it was time for a change" The new logo is expected to be unveiled tonight in a late-night press conference after the team's practice.

Do you have a link to this?

Not an official link, i read this off hoopshype

( http://forums.hoopshype.com/forums/index.php?topic=61325.0 )

Sorry if this has been posted, but apparently Dallas is getting a new logo - i highly doubt it for this season. Something must have been taken out of context.

By DOUG FERGUSON

PHOTO GALLERY

AP Photo

DALLAS, Texas (AP)

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban announced today there will be a fresh new look to the Western Conference team this year and he wasn't just referring to the addition of Steve Novak. "I think our franchise is on the cutting edge and I wanted to do something to freshen up our image." Says Cuban, the 52 year-old entrepreneur. "We have a beautiful arena in a very exciting city and I felt it was time for a change" The new logo is expected to be unveiled tonight in a late-night press conference after the team's practice.

that would be the biggest downgrade of the decade

GO NETS.

By DOUG FERGUSON

PHOTO GALLERY

AP Photo

DALLAS, Texas (AP)

Im not buying this one... Firstly it comes from hoopshype.. Secondly a quick search on google turned up that picture with those four logos meaning its been out there for a while and could be some fan art or such.. Thirdly its been two days since that 'article' has been posted with no official word yet and I cant seem to find the original article anywhere on the web.

So I was looking at the Cavs forum for some updates on the first scrimmage. The main page is the following:

untitled.png

As you can see, two of the square show a gold jersey with wine CLEVELAND on the front. Is this a mistaken leak to the Alt we could see in 2 years?

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

So I was looking at the Cavs forum for some updates on the first scrimmage. The main page is the following:

untitled.png

As you can see, two of the square show a gold jersey with wine CLEVELAND on the front. Is this a mistaken leak to the Alt we could see in 2 years?

Hmm. I just got done at the Cavs site, and didn't even notice that.

You could be onto something, because that's definitely not the white jersey with odd lighting or something... (The White jersey reads 'Cavaliers', anyway.)

Nice catch!

EDIT: Still wish the Gold was their home jersey. That woulda been slick.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

untitled.png

You could be onto something, because that's definitely not the white jersey with odd lighting or something... (The White jersey reads 'Cavaliers', anyway.)

Nice catch!

Still think that if the Lakers are allowed to do it, the Cavs, Pacers, Hornets, Jazz, and any other team that wants to use a gold jersey at home should be able to.

6fQjS3M.png

untitled.png

Nice catch!

Still think that if the Lakers are allowed to do it, the Cavs, Pacers, Hornets, Jazz, and any other team that wants to use a gold jersey at home should be able to.

Oh darn.

It was just this:

60809_464768038277_69048043277_6582057_1552934_n.jpg

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I hope the Cavs' alternate will be more than just a gold version of the home or road. An updated version of the featherscript would be nice. Maybe they'll take the Cavaliers wordmark from the LeBron jerseys and put it on a gold jersey (one color wine lettering).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

By DOUG FERGUSON

PHOTO GALLERY

AP Photo

DALLAS, Texas (AP)

Im not buying this one... Firstly it comes from hoopshype.. Secondly a quick search on google turned up that picture with those four logos meaning its been out there for a while and could be some fan art or such.. Thirdly its been two days since that 'article' has been posted with no official word yet and I cant seem to find the original article anywhere on the web.

I'm calling shenanigans on this.

Doug Ferguson is the AP's golf writer, and he's overseas this week for the Ryder Cup. I work for an AP member newspaper, and an AP Exchange search for the story came up empty. So unless the AP has hired a second sports writer named Doug Ferguson, who is covering Dallas and has content that doesn't appear on the regular AP sports tier, I'm not buying it.

I like how the Lakers do it. They keep a nice, consistent style throughout all 3 uniforms. I hate when teams have an alt that is completely different than the primaries. I just think it looks crumby.

I like how the Lakers do it. They keep a nice, consistent style throughout all 3 uniforms. I hate when teams have an alt that is completely different than the primaries. I just think it looks crumby.

Isn't the purpose of an alternate to change up the design? To grow the brand with a new look that also ties into what already exists? Simply recolouring the primary set works in the NFL where truly new designs for third uniforms are forbidden, but in the NBA and NHL teams should be allowed to experiment a little with their thirds.

Archived