Unpopular Opinions

On 12/7/2019 at 12:18 AM, jn8 said:

Not really an unpopular opinion about uniforms, but about a phrase used to describe them:

Calling things “__F__S”, AKA “[Insert term] for [insert term]’s sake,” is dumb. It was sorta okay when it was just BFBS (even though I still didn’t love that terminology), but now I’ll see people use that style of abbreviation with tons of random stuff it really doesn’t need applied to. When you have to follow up the abbreviation with what it stands for, is it really worth using?

Most of the terms uniwatch has coined I really don't care for and hate how much some members of the board here use them (color rash, BFBS, etc....) lately "PBFPBS, which is Powder Blue for Powder Blue Sakes)

You can just say "Remember when the Athletics caved into the Black fad?", "I don't care for the Rangers powder blue uniforms, they're just giving into a fad"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Most of the terms uniwatch has coined I really don't care for and hate how much some members of the board here use them (color rash, BFBS, etc....) lately "PBFPBS, which is Powder Blue for Powder Blue Sakes)

You can just say "Remember when the Athletics caved into the Black fad?", "I don't care for the Rangers powder blue uniforms, they're just giving into a fad"

"Black for black's sake" is a good and useful phrase. It captures the creative bankruptcy of shoving black into colour schemes where it doesn't belong (those of the Mets, Royals, Reds, Knicks, etc.).

But a word I really hate is "squatchee". This communicates nothing that is not communicated by the normal English word "button" that has been used for more than a century.

• Like 6

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 12/1/2019 at 10:21 AM, Ark said:

49ers have never looked better than they do right now. 

Even though I can understand why some folks prefer the larger pant stripes from the dynasty years, I agree with you. I even liked the change from three sleeve stripes to two prior to 2017 (which may qualify as an unpopular opinion in and of itself).

The only tweak they need to make is replacing the 2005 wordmark on the chest with the old-school one they brought back for the end zones. I also wouldn't mind seeing the helmet return to midfield, as opposed to just the SF oval.

For some reason, the Nike swoosh on MLB jerseys do not bother me. Not the location, colors used, nor the size for all the teams. Also, It'll probably be a couple seasons before Nike actually does their full input and this quote will probably be a bad quote...

• Like 3

On 12/13/2019 at 12:25 PM, cwilz305 said:

For some reason, the Nike swoosh on MLB jerseys do not bother me. Not the location, colors used, nor the size for all the teams. Also, It'll probably be a couple seasons before Nike actually does their full input and this quote will probably be a bad quote...

Agreed.  It's one little logo, people! You'll get used to it.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Agreed.  It's one little logo, people! You'll get used to it.

This isn’t the board for that. We care that 2 materials don’t match perfectly, you expect up to ignore a makers mark when we have noticed them for the past 2+ decades that makers marks have been a thing on uniforms.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 3:25 PM, cwilz305 said:

I have to agree on this one. Would the jerseys look better without it? Yes, for sure. But it's not the awful 'end of the world' scenario some people made it out to be.

• Like 4

the user formerly known as cdclt

1. Kelly green is a bit overrated, especially in regards to the Oakland Athletics and New York Jets. In Oakland's case, for instance, I like how the darker shade of green (i've heard it referred to as both forest green and hunter green) offers a more start contrast with the gold and white, making them "pop" a lot more than kelly does. I will, however, concede that the Philadelphia Eagles look better in kelly.

2. Monochromatic NFL uniforms aren't that bad, at least not inherently so. There are some bad ones out there, but the majority look good. The Seahawks' home uniforms are a good example of monochromatic set working well. On that note...

3. The Seahawks should wear their white pants on the road more often (maybe 50/50 with their blue pants). I also wouldn't be opposed to them getting rid of their gray jerseys and pants.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dmmdoublem said:

1. Kelly green is a bit overrated, especially in regards to the Oakland Athletics and New York Jets. In Oakland's case, for instance, I like how the darker shade of green (i've heard it referred to as both forest green and hunter green) offers a more start contrast with the gold and white, making them "pop" a lot more than kelly does. I will, however, concede that the Philadelphia Eagles look better in kelly.

I can kinda get behind this one. Actually, I can almost totally agree with you.  I definitely agree with you on the A's.  I think the darker green plays well with the yellow.  I think kelly green works better if there isn't another vivid color along with it.  And I am with you on the Eagles; they were definitely better in kelly green because the silver/gray (and later, black) didn't clash like the A's yellow.  I can go either way on the Jets but I do acknowledge that there's almost a lacking darkness in the 1980s uniforms.

Then again, the North Stars were great with vivid green and yellow...so I can't even be consistent.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Normally I can understand where posters are coming from on a topic even if I don't agree, but the A's kelly green - I hate the A's in kelly green and I'm baffled by the love for it. Completely flummoxed. The forrest green the A's use, which has a little blue in it so it skews towards a dark teal, is such a pretty color and contrasts so much better off their bright yellow than the kelly green does. It's why their home hats get my vote for best hat in major league baseball. The kelly green jerseys and hats look like the regular unis got left out in the sun too long. They look like a dollar store knockoff that only had 8 stock colors tshirts to choose from and that was the closest they could get to the A's. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Normally I can understand where posters are coming from on a topic even if I don't agree, but the A's kelly green - I hate the A's in kelly green and I'm baffled by the love for it. Completely flummoxed. The forrest green the A's use, which has a little blue in it so it skews towards a dark teal, is such a pretty color and contrasts so much better off their bright yellow than the kelly green does. It's why their home hats get my vote for best hat in major league baseball. The kelly green jerseys and hats look like the regular unis got left out in the sun too long. They look like a dollar store knockoff that only had 8 stock colors tshirts to choose from and that was the closest they could get to the A's. 

spacer.png

The Kelly Green A’s were a dynasty, the Forest Green A’s have never won a title that wasn’t surrounded by death and destruction. Kelly Green is a “happy” color, while the darker green is just a reminder of how far the franchise has fallen and how they can never win a winner-take-all game. Heck, the cursive script is an intentional callback to the days when the team was an unofficial Yankee farm club in Kansas City.

#BringBacktheKelly #DitchtheScript

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

spacer.png

The Kelly Green A’s were a dynasty, the Forest Green A’s have never won a title that wasn’t surrounded by death and destruction. Kelly Green is a “happy” color, while the darker green is just a reminder of how far the franchise has fallen and how they can never win a winner-take-all game. Heck, the cursive script is an intentional callback to the days when the team was an unofficial Yankee farm club in Kansas City.

Yeah. Cannot grasp any of that. I don't care if it's the same color that Reggie Jackson wore - I look at it with my eyeballs and it looks worse!

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Yeah. Cannot grasp any of that. I don't care if it's the same color that Reggie Jackson wore - I look at it with my eyeballs and it looks worse!

Likewise, I look at the dark green and all I see is a team of failures and depression. The light green is so much better-looking for them. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Hating the kelly in ineed unpopular.

Personally, I LOVE the kelly look. But I agree with you that the dark green is simply superior aesthetically. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Likewise, I look at the dark green and all I see is a team of failures and depression. The light green is so much better-looking for them. 

Is it really “better-looking” or do you have better associations with the brighter green? I don’t care if they’ve lost every game wearing the dark green and won every game wearing the bright green - the dark green just looks better to me.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Is it really “better-looking” or do you have better associations with the brighter green? I don’t care if they’ve lost every game wearing the dark green and won every game wearing the bright green - the dark green just looks better to me.  

Nope, I think it really is better-looking. Like, the dark green is good, but Kelly is infinitely better.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Nope, I think it really is better-looking. Like, the dark green is good, but Kelly is infinitely better.

Again, can't wrap my brain around it. This is like the blueblack/whitegold dress. My eyes simply do not see it that way. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

spacer.png

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion (which would fit) but I've never believed that a team's look should rest solely on success/winning a championship in that jersey. If you can make improvements, do it

• Like 3

While we are discussing the color Kelly green as well as unpopular opinions, let me drop this one;  there isn't a team that wears green in any sport at any level that wouldn't look better in Kelly green. Hell, I'd put some teams in Kelly that don't even wear green. That color makes me ridiculously happy.

• Like 4