Unpopular Opinions

8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

To be a little more specific, Houston doesn't have any sort of national narrative. It's hard to explain, but the easiest way to think of Houston is that it's just a collection of small towns that kinda have to act as a singular unit because they accidentally expanded on top of one another, save for the medical center and downtown, which were built because the city acted like a city. Therefore, it can't really create a national narrative like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Atlanta, or to keep it in state, Dallas, San Antonio, or Austin. There are very few (if any) generalizations to make about the city, and that's rooted in the fact that there isn't a culture here that's become nationally (and very often locally) relevant.

That's a fascinating way in which the city formed. I was learning a little bit about the history when looking into Dean Corll (who committed most of the murders in The Heights and a few other suburbs). One thing came up with great frequency, namely how the city went through a boom and its relatively small police force couldn't keep up (and refused federal aid, because the chief of police was a c-word). I can see how that hinders a national narrative, especially compared to the other Texas metropoles. 

So to be a little more precise (again :P ) A lot of Houston can be broken up between 4 types of areas by their formation:

-Some dude bought land and realized it was worth a lot more as real estate or housing development than it was as cattle grass (see: River Oaks)

-Exxon or a subsidiary bought land and realized it was worth a lot more as real estate or housing development in between the oil fields and refineries (see: Kingwood, Clear Lake)

-The wards

-Some dudes from New York decide to buy some ranch and swamp land and start the city (Downtown).

Each neighborhood feels like its own town, though, with its own set of residents, distinctions and feel to it. None of these neighborhoods really fit together, though, which makes Houston different in that aspect..

Back to unpopular opinions!

Every team playing at the FBS level should use a custom number font. Whether that be a modified block similar to Michigan or UNC, a stylized modern block like Michigan State or Texas A&M, or whether it be something like Iowa State, Arkansas (when they wear their superior 2018 uniforms), or Illinois. Every team needs their own custom font, and it should be able to stretch across all of their sports. (this is a refinement of a previous unpopular opinion I made a few years back, so what)

• Like 2

Always thought of Wes Anderson as more of an Austin guy.

Off-topic, the "Judy Is a Punk"-"Needle in the Hay"-"Fly"-"She Smiled Sweetly"-"Ruby Tuesday"-'Stephanie Says" run in the Tenenbaums soundtrack is maybe the best sequence of songs in any movie ever

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

48 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Always thought of Wes Anderson as more of an Austin guy.

Off-topic, the "Judy Is a Punk"-"Needle in the Hay"-"Fly"-"She Smiled Sweetly"-"Ruby Tuesday"-'Stephanie Says" run in the Tenenbaums soundtrack is maybe the best sequence of songs in any movie ever

...after the entirety of the Flash Gordon soundtrack by Queen.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Every now and then I think the Steelers should go back to gray facemasks...to tie-in to the logo as well as a throwback look...but the black facemask is just awesome. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Block numbers on the Bengals look awesome. So do the white jerseys. This is a nice look for them! It would be cool to see a similar orange jersey; one that doesn't emulate a tiger tummy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Alright, this might be my most controversial opinion yet: Nike didn't 'ruin' the NBA. Are there too many rotating jerseys? Yeah, for sure. But outside of the ridiculous names for 'white', 'colored', and 'alternate' jerseys, the uniforms match-ups haven't been terrible. Some really good ideas have come from these alternates, like Utah's gradient jerseys, or the Clippers' powder blues from a couple years ago. Would the league be better off uniform-wise without Nike? Yeah, probably. But they haven't totally destroyed any sense of dignity or consistency that teams have like some seem to think/suggest.

• Like 6

the user formerly known as cdclt

I might’ve said this before already, but since there are a multitude of NFL teams already opting to wear white at home, I’d say that white should just be the designated home uniform, with the colored jersey the away (like the NBA should be). There’d be more synchronism among the leagues of teams at white wearing home, and that way the home fans would get to see a different colored uniform every week.

On that same note, I’m growing more and more bored with gray uniforms for away teams in MLB. I know it’s based on decades of tradition, but it results in bland looking matchups in my opinion. I’d rather see colored uniforms as the away options for most if not all teams across the league.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Discrimihater said:

They were orange and brown?  I thought they've always been orange and black.

BC Lions are orange and black now and were from their 1954 birth to 1977.  Here are the 1977 uniforms:

spacer.png

In 1978, the team underwent a colour change that just seems really 1970s.  There was a brand new logo (really same one as today with different colouring) and new uniform.  The black trim was switched out in favour of chocolate brown trim.  They switched from the black helmet to white helmets.

Would agree sometimes hard to tell as it was used as a trim colour and BC Lions known for being orange and black.  Here is QB Joe Paopao in the new uniforms.  In the background, you can see BC Lions coaches rocking the brown jackets:

spacer.png

May be a little bit easier to notice in this photo while playing the Ottawa Rough Riders, when comparing the Lions' socks to the black in the Riders' uniforms.

spacer.png

The BC Lions got rid of the brown after the 1989 season.  It was into predominantly black, with orange and silver trim in 1990:

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 8:08 AM, DiePerske said:

Kelly green is overrated.

The Philadelphia Eagles look much better in Kelly than what they have now, but I think it's overrated in regards to the Oakland Athletics and New York Jets. Darker shades of green work much better for those two.

Just now, dmmdoublem said:

The Philadelphia Eagles look much better in Kelly than what they have now, but I think it's overrated in regards to the Oakland Athletics and New York Jets. Darker shades of green work much better for those two.

I like the eagles in the dark green as well haha. That said, Id like to see kelly replace black, or even use the midnight green replace black, and kellly become primary.

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I'm sure I have posted this before a couple of hundred posts ago, but the current Brewers look (before they changed the pants) is the best they've ever had. The wheat hat is soooooo much better then BiG could ever hope to be. 

spacer.png

I wouldn't mind a return to royal and yellow though. This logo could still work in those colors!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, dmmdoublem said:

Well that’s because any color looks better than midnight green

On 10/6/2019 at 3:00 AM, dont care said:

Well that’s because any color looks better than midnight green

I wouldn't mind a return to kelly but I like the midnight green. The issue with the Eagles current identity IMO is the over-reliance on black. They could eliminate black entirely and just focus on the dark green and bright silver for a cleaner look.

• Like 4