2010 NFL Season

NEW.ERA

Isn't Lights Out the Chargers GM?

No, but close: the Lord of No Rings is. :P

Well I just assumed you were since you refer to the team as "we" all the time. Then again, how could you be GM of the Chargers and AD at Boise State at the same time? :P

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Merriman's release, I think it's now safe to say the Giants are champions of the "Eli trade".

As if the finger jewelery that reads "WORLD CHAMPIONS" on Eli's hand isn't enough evidence. :P

Seriously, this just proves how volatile of a league the NFL is. A few years ago, this guy was one of the more feared defensive players in the NFL. Now, he's currently jobless.

I think this is a royal screw up by the Chargers.

Tomlinson looks rejuvenated with the Jets, I can't blame them for that move but this Merriman move seems like a total :censored: up. If he comes back and becomes Lights Out again the Chargers will look like a joke.

Now Phillip Rivers is a good QB, but I get the feeling if they kept Brees they may have a Lombardi trophy in their case.

Rivers does not seem to be a good QB in pressure situations unlike Eli who seems to play his best in big games. Despite all the talent the Chargers had two years ago they still have no titles and their window has appeared to have closed. So much seems to be wrong there it seems as if their GM is the NFL's Omar Minaya.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

If he comes back and becomes Lights Out again the Chargers will look like a joke.

No they won't. It's clear his production has been way down in the crapper since the Titans game in '07 when they cheap-shotted him up and down the field. Holding on to him for several more years in the hopes that he'd regain his "steroid form" would have actually been a foolish decision.

Now Phillip Rivers is a good QB, but I get the feeling if they kept Brees they may have a Lombardi trophy in their case.

Don't be silly - Rivers is right up there with Brees on the elite quarterbacks list. It took Brees eight seasons to win a ring; Rivers has been in the league for six. I truly think the Chargers are going to win at least one Super Bowl with Rivers, but we sure as hell aren't winning anything with Norv.

As if the finger jewelery that reads "WORLD CHAMPIONS" on Eli's hand isn't enough evidence. :P

Last I checked, Super Bowl wins are team accomplishments, not individual accomplishments. Look at the stats: Rivers has far fewer interceptions and a ridiculous 95.3 career QB rating. Eli has more career touchdowns and passing yards, but then again, he also didn't have to suffer through years of guys like Reche Caldwell and Kassim Osgood starting at WR like Rivers did early in his career.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Blackout Watch, Week 6:

The Rams have sought another extension.

I couldn't dig up anything else at this point; it's only Thursday.

This is a sick joke. They should just give up and eat the blackout. St. Louisans won't learn unless you take the TV away from them. Of course, they also won't pay to see a team that lost by 38 to Detroit, saw its best (and arguably only) wideout go down to injury, and decided to replace him not with a vet in a trade, but with a rookie who had 4 knee injuries in college and is still recovering from the last one. They are going to condemn this poor guy to life in a rascal, just because there's a 5% chance the might get a good player with that 3rd or 4th rounder they are saving.

/rant

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Don't be silly - Rivers is right up there with Brees on the elite quarterbacks list. It took Brees eight seasons to win a ring; Rivers has been in the league for six. I truly think the Chargers are going to win at least one Super Bowl with Rivers, but we sure as hell aren't winning anything with Norv.

Last I checked, Super Bowl wins are team accomplishments, not individual accomplishments. Look at the stats: Rivers has far fewer interceptions and a ridiculous 95.3 career QB rating. Eli has more career touchdowns and passing yards, but then again, he also didn't have to suffer through years of guys like Reche Caldwell and Kassim Osgood starting at WR like Rivers did early in his career.

You always have an answer don't you? This one goes to Tank and Flame. I agree 100% with Tank's assessment. Sorry, but Rivers isn't an "elite" QB. Rivers is pretty good but he's not "elite." Not to mention Rivers is a bit of a douchebag towards his team mates.

Seriously dude, you need to find a way to resist that impulse that tells you to go into full-on homer mode every time someone mentions one of your teams in a less than flattering manner.

BB52Big.jpg

"Pretty good"? Rivers is on pace to break Dan Marino's single-season passing yards record. A "pretty good" quarterback would not even come close to breaking passing records.

I'm not trying to be a homer, but saying that Eli is way better than Rivers (especially since 2007) is ridiculous.

You are trying to be a homer, and you are succeeding to Justinian levels. You're going to the Homer Hall of Fame one day if you can keep this up for several more seasons.

You're arguing who is better, when it seems the previous posters are commenting on "who won the Eli trade" between the Chargers and the Giants. Rivers is likely the better quarterback, but just being better than Eli Manning doesn't make Rivers or anyone else elite. Eli is not Peyton. If Rivers was better than Peyton, then Rivers would be elite. But seeing how teams mortgage their entire futures to try to win one ring (coughVikingscough), the G-men have to be considered the "winner" of the trade, if there is such as thing.

Rivers is on pace to break Dan Marino's single-season passing yards record. Yay, good for him. But that's supposed to make him elite? Hell you say? Kyle Orton is on pace, too. Would you say "pretty good" describes anything about Kyle Orton? To be fair, Peyton Manning is also on pace too, and he is elite. Like really elite, not your fake-ass, kool-aid induced delusional Phillip Rivers elite.

Just wondering, do ELITE NFL quarterbacks start 2-3 every year?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

"Pretty good"? Rivers is on pace to break Dan Marino's single-season passing yards record. A "pretty good" quarterback would not even come close to breaking passing records.

I'm not trying to be a homer, but saying that Eli is way better than Rivers (especially since 2007) is ridiculous.

You are trying to be a homer, and you are succeeding to Justinian levels. You're going to the Homer Hall of Fame one day if you can keep this up for several more seasons.

You're arguing who is better, when it seems the previous posters are commenting on "who won the Eli trade" between the Chargers and the Giants. Rivers is likely the better quarterback, but just being better than Eli Manning doesn't make Rivers or anyone else elite. Eli is not Peyton. If Rivers was better than Peyton, then Rivers would be elite. But seeing how teams mortgage their entire futures to try to win one ring (coughVikingscough), the G-men have to be considered the "winner" of the trade, if there is such as thing.

Rivers is on pace to break Dan Marino's single-season passing yards record. Yay, good for him. But that's supposed to make him elite? Hell you say? Kyle Orton is on pace, too. Would you say "pretty good" describes anything about Kyle Orton? To be fair, Peyton Manning is also on pace too, and he is elite. Like really elite, not your fake-ass, kool-aid induced delusional Phillip Rivers elite.

The conversation seems to be who get the best of the trade, well the Giants won a Superbowl already, and the point is that the Chargers are already a different team now from the one that Rivers traded to. So even if Rivers were to win 2 or 3 Superbowls, they wouldn't be because of that trade now.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Read my post. I never said that Eli is way better than Rivers. All I said was that Rivers isn't in the Brees/Brady/P. Manning category because he's not.

BB52Big.jpg

Kyle Orton is also on pace to break Marino's single-season mark, so he's gotta be a first-ballot HOFer like Rivers!

And to also be 'Elite', you need to have quartereback'd a team to the Super Bowl -- something which "PHILLIP RIVERS!!!" has yet to accomplish.

6uXNWAo.png

Rivers is a solid QB. I'm not sure if he's just "pretty good" or if he is "elite," it's still to early to tell. What I do know, however, is that this team's falling apart to the point where all they'll have is a solid QB. Oh well. At least I won't have to worry about the race to capture the AFC West year in and year out.

*sigh*

No, but the real issue is that elite NFL coaches really can't get away with that, and you all know how I feel about Norv. Quarterback may be a very important and influential position, but bad coaching can ruin even the best QB's.

Regardless, I'll concede this argument, because I'd rather not sink back into the old homer reputation that I've tried very hard to put behind me.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Blackout Watch, Week 6:

This is a sick joke. They should just give up and eat the blackout. St. Louisans won't learn unless you take the TV away from them. Of course, they also won't pay to see a team that lost by 38 to Detroit, saw its best (and arguably only) wideout go down to injury, and decided to replace him not with a vet in a trade, but with a rookie who had 4 knee injuries in college and is still recovering from the last one. They are going to condemn this poor guy to life in a rascal, just because there's a 5% chance the might get a good player with that 3rd or 4th rounder they are saving.

/rant

Blackout Watch 2010 UPDATE:

The Rams have barely met the requirements, again. It isn't that big of a surprise: sponsors.

Unless they can win games consistently, the gas will run out.

No, but the real issue is that elite NFL coaches really can't get away with that, and you all know how I feel about Norv. Quarterback may be a very important and influential position, but bad coaching can ruin even the best QB's.

Regardless, I'll concede this argument, because I'd rather not sink back into the old homer reputation that I've tried very hard to put behind me.

Fvck that. You need to embrace it. You're already legendary. Why would you quit so soon into a Homer Hall of Fame career, man. Justin is getting up there in age and he doesn't post that much anymore, so someone has to pick up where he left off. You're the ONLY one who can achieve that level! Think of the kids, man! You can't let them down.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

At least STL Fanatic's rampant homerism is for teams that play... well, near his home. This guy's homerism spans time zones.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Blackout Watch, Week 6:

/rant

Blackout Watch 2010 UPDATE:

The Rams have barely met the requirements, again. It isn't that big of a surprise: sponsors.

Unless they can win games consistently, the gas will run out.

Remember everyone, thank the Rams for that price hike on Busch.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Kyle Orton is also on pace to break Marino's single-season mark, so he's gotta be a first-ballot HOFer like Rivers!

And to also be 'Elite', you need to have quartereback'd a team to the Super Bowl -- something which "PHILLIP RIVERS!!!" has yet to accomplish.

Say what you want about Orton, but he's actually a pretty damn decent QB. I know people have these ideas that he's this terrible QB from his time in Chicago, but... I mean, he's not great, but considering the offensive line hasn't been particularly good, and there's absolutely no threat of a running game, the fact that Orton's been able to play as well as he has with Brandon Lloyd as maybe his best target, is extremely impressive.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived