MLB Postseason and World Series thread

infrared41

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FOX just flashed a graphic stating that when the Giants last won the World Series in 1954, there were no teams west of the Mississippi River. So did the Mississippi run west of St. Louis then or something? :rolleyes:

The Mississippi runs through St. Louis so they mean no teams west of that.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

FOX just flashed a graphic stating that when the Giants last won the World Series in 1954, there were no teams west of the Mississippi River. So did the Mississippi run west of St. Louis then or something? :rolleyes:

No, it doesn't actually. The Mississippi separates St. Louis from East St. Louis. All of St. Louis is on the western side of the Mississippi.

St.Louis.jpg

Anyways, Congrats San Francisco! See you all in 104 days when pitchers and catchers report!

6fQjS3M.png

Yay, my "Team I Would Cheer For If The Atlanta Braves Didn't Exist" won the World Series! Nice! Congrats Giants & Giants fans! I like the fact that they're doing the trophy presentation old school-style. Instead of the road team actually receiving the trophy on the home team's field, they took it to the locker room. I like that.

Props to the Rangers for getting farther than ever before in their franchise history. Hopefully they can continue to be one of the better clubs in the AL.

Speaking of Leagues...NL FTW! CHEAAUUUUHHHHHHHHH

The loveliness of Paris seems somehow sadly gay... the glory that was Rome is of another day... I've been terribly alone and forgotten in Manhattan... I'm going home to my city by the bay...

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Only if you count the suburbs. St. Louis proper is on the west bank.

They also ignore that the Philadelphia Athletics' move to Kansas City was approved days after the end of the 1954 World Series.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And the TBS curse lives on, no league has won a World Series when TBS broadcasts their respective LCS.

Which means the NL will probably lose the world series in 2011, the nl gets it's lcs on tbs next year.

I was thinking the same thing man.

And on another note, Brian Wilson was not that funny, I expected more out of him.

From Ed Price on Twitter:

"Until now, only one team has clinched 3 postseason series on the road: 2005 White Sox."

And the White Sox clinched it in the state of Texas (they swept the astros)

and the Giants are about to do it in Arlington, Texas.

Coincidence?

Yes. What else could it be?

Anyway, great job by the Giants. Helluva season for the Rangers. And as someone else pointed out, the Yankees were nowhere to be seen. I'll add the Red Sox to that as well. So how long until spring training?

BB52Big.jpg

HERE I AM!!!

Oh boy, I'm so happy!!! This fantastic win of the Jints closed the ring! That ring that started with the 2004 Red Sox...

When the Jints lost the WS in 2002, I was convinced that I never could witness at least one of my two teams being World Champs... but here we are in the ending of this current decade and the Red Sox and the Giants won it all, what the f#ck!!!

PD: I felt sorry for all the Rangers fans... I never hated them... if the Phillies would qualify to the WS instead of the Giants I surely root for the Texans. I like some guys among them like manager Washington, Cliff Lee and Guerrero. Don't down your hands, Rangers fans, your franchise has future like the Rays!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

From Ed Price on Twitter:

"Until now, only one team has clinched 3 postseason series on the road: 2005 White Sox."

And the White Sox clinched it in the state of Texas (they swept the astros)

and the Giants are about to do it in Arlington, Texas.

Coincidence?

Yes. What else could it be?

Anyway, great job by the Giants. Helluva season for the Rangers. And as someone else pointed out, the Yankees were nowhere to be seen. I'll add the Red Sox to that as well. So how long until spring training?

Um... fate. Duh! ^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

About the classic Dodgers-Giants rivalry, I think it's now balanced in WS titles...

New York GIANTS 5 world titles vs. Brooklyn DODGERS 1 world title

San Francisco GIANTS 1 world title vs. Los Angeles DODGERS 5 world titles.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived