Basketball Uniforms: Different colored shorts than jerseys?

OldRamsFan

Probably not what you're looking for, but the Jazz way back in the 80's-early 90's used to have shorts that were a very noticeably different shade of purple than thier jerseys.

Also, I remember in high school, our freshman/sophomore basketball team wore white jerseys and blue shorts at home.

Unfortunately I'm on my iPod, so I can't post any pictures.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

buq461iin2fv8tde1ez06kk9x.gif

ugly.

Can't agree with you (other than the butt logo).

Best thing they've ever worn.

Agreed. Maybe it's the downplay of the Wizard theme, maybe it's the downplay of the horrid 90s colour scheme. Whatever it is, I like it. If the Wizards used this as the basis for their primary set I probably wouldn't be so set to see them return to red, white, and blue.

I've often thought about this. I think that since a team uniform is primarily for the purpose of being able to identify players from one team from players of the other, you need as much color separation as possible. Since there is so little material in basketball uniforms vs other sports, it helps to have matching colors on the top and bottom. Since one team always wears all white (LA aside), the other could wear multi colors, but we're just so used to seeing the mono, that the multi looks rec league.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Some of the bi-colored uniforms were because of different fabrics for the shorts and the tank top (the Lakers of the 1970s and 80s come to mind). Kansas State in 1981 had two different colors of purple as well.

I have also seen Virginia Commonwealth wear white shorts and a black tank top back in 1992.

I see it all the time at the high school level. Most schools provide one pair of shorts (usually dark), but home/away jerseys. From what I understand, only the jerseys of the teams need to be different.

There was a college recently that had throwbacks of non-matching jerseys and shorts. For some reason Marquette comes to mind, but I'm not 100% positive.

And don't the Harlem Globetrotters have white/red candy cane shorts with their blue jerseys?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I've often thought about this. I think that since a team uniform is primarily for the purpose of being able to identify players from one team from players of the other, you need as much color separation as possible. Since there is so little material in basketball uniforms vs other sports, it helps to have matching colors on the top and bottom. Since one team always wears all white (LA aside), the other could wear multi colors, but we're just so used to seeing the mono, that the multi looks rec league.

That's a very thought-out response, and I'll bet you are 100% accurate.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

Archived