NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

mapleleafs.jpg

I think this would be the best of both worlds (or at least two of them) for the Leafs: a classic veined 35-point leaf with the super-cool 1967 lettering.

No... just no

Why "No... just no"? The lettering on the 35 point leaf is terrible. In fact I think the entire 35 point leaf is terrible. It looks O.K. at the top half but the bottom is too narrow. I had a maple tree in my yard growing up and I never saw a maple leaf look like that. As far as I'm concerned the only good logo is the 1967 maple leaf. The current "Ballard Maple Leaf" is also terrible. It looks like it wants to be a classic 11 point representation of a maple leaf but some of the points are getting lost. Not to mention the 44 years of futility, failure and scandal it represents. If the organization want to turn over a new leaf, they need to ditch the Ballard disaster ASAP and go back to their last successful period.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why "No... just no"? The lettering on the 35 point leaf is terrible. In fact I think the entire 35 point leaf is terrible. It looks O.K. at the top half but the bottom is too narrow. I had a maple tree in my yard growing up and I never saw a maple leaf look like that. As far as I'm concerned the only good logo is the 1967 maple leaf. The current "Ballard Maple Leaf" is also terrible. It looks like it wants to be a classic 11 point representation of a maple leaf but some of the points are getting lost. Not to mention the 44 years of futility, failure and scandal it represents. If the organization want to turn over a new leaf, they need to ditch the Ballard disaster ASAP and go back to their last successful period.

Because the last thing the league needs is another fauxback logo/jersey, especially for an original 6 time with an already rich history. The original veined Leaf is perfect and I see no need to combine eras.

The original veined Leaf is perfect and I see no need to combine eras.

It's not perfect. The double outline muddles the shape of the leaf and doesn't match anything else in the set, which is all just single-layer, so I got rid of it and simplified it. Also, the text was kerned oddly and always seemed off-center, so I fixed that. I'm perfectly fine with what the Maple Leafs have now, even the ugly Kabel Bold, but if they were to go back, I'd like to see them go about it like that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So what's left to be unveiled? Dallas 3rd, Toronto 3rd, Winnipeg home and away (will they have a third?), anything else?

Ottawa 3rd

Should be a solid jersey, in comparison to the awful SNES jersey.

I think I'm the only person on this site who didn't hate that jersey.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

So what's left to be unveiled? Dallas 3rd, Toronto 3rd, Winnipeg home and away (will they have a third?), anything else?

Ottawa 3rd

Yes. It's hideous.

Ottawa 3rd

Yes. It's hideous.

In all seriousness, what specifically about the jersey do people dislike?

In all seriousness, what specifically about the jersey do people dislike?

The logo kills it for me. I don't hate the jersey design itself (maybe the piping that actually goes up the collar) but the SENS logo seemed so childish to me.

OttawaSenators.png

^so why was the Bolts third jersey not held in the same regard? As far as I can recall people don't seem to have much of an issue with that jersey as they do the Sens one. Both jersey templates aren't very traditional but if I had to make a choice, I would choose the Sens design as it looks meaner and more slick.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the jersey but I don't hate it like the overwhelming mojority seem to.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

^so why was the Bolts third jersey not held in the same regard? As far as I can recall people don't seem to have much of an issue with that jersey as they do the Sens one. Both jersey templates aren't very traditional but if I had to make a choice, I would choose the Sens design as it looks meaner and more slick.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the jersey but I don't hate it like the overwhelming mojority seem to.

The "bolts" jersey has been just as criticized as the "sens" jersey around these parts if my memory serves me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, I don't like that one either for the same reason. Again, I don't hate the design of the jersey, I hate the logo.

OttawaSenators.png

Ottawa 3rd

Nah, you're not. I'm probably picking one up on a sale rack somewhere.

6fQjS3M.png

The "bolts" jersey has been just as criticized as the "sens" jersey around these parts if my memory serves me.

Except for the fact that the Bolts jersey at least had the letters going the right way. Western English readers read from top left to bottom right. That's why jerseys with words on them diagonally usually follow this standard. The Sens sweater (and the redesigned NHL logo) go the opposite way so they eyes and the brain have to work just that little bit harder to comprehend what they are seeing. Perhaps that explains the discrepancy, if there is one, in the acceptance of both jerseys.

Archived