2011-12 soccer kits

Saintsfan

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking through the iPhone jersey wallpapers thread made me wonder this, but I thought this would be the more appropriate place to ask, why do soccer jerseys have the little logos in the bottom of the numbers?

Most of the time, it's the logo of the league.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Looking through the iPhone jersey wallpapers thread made me wonder this, but I thought this would be the more appropriate place to ask, why do soccer jerseys have the little logos in the bottom of the numbers?

Most of the time, it's the logo of the league.

For example:

soccerxperts-rooney.jpg

You can tell that the little logo is a lion. Which is the logo of the EPL.

10537582-english-premier-league-picks.jpg

spacer.png

But why are they on there?

It's just a trend that's been around for several years. I don't know who started it and when, but it's pretty widespread now.

Some teams (like those in the Premier League), all use the same numbers, so every team in the EPL has the league logo in their numbers. Others use a team logo (like the new US jerseys, or Barca). Some don't use the logo in the numbers at all, like Brazil's national team.

It's just a design trend, so far as I know.

Grunge-Logos.png

But why are they on there?

Too let you know that "this is the official number font of the Premier League/La Liga/MLS/Ligue Un/whatever"?

I honestly don't know, but then again I don't get having a league-wide uniform number font.

spacer.png

The MLS is long overdue for a new proprietary number font. It cheapens the look of the brand. While they're at it a new league crest would be nice. Not to mention open contracts for kit suppliers.

Couldn't agree with you and MJWalker more. I don't think a new logo/identity would hurt any if they want the rest of the world to take the league seriously. I don't mind league wide number fonts if it's a nice sharp number font like the EPL. But the MLS font looks terrible IMO, and i tend to dislike most of adidas designs uniforms wise, and so i am all for different manufacturers.

Speaking of MLS, their Press Box website has an image that contains all of the official kits for the 2012 season.

I would just post the image on here but it is WAY too big. Seriously, it's huge. So instead, here's a link.

Interesting to see that Seattle's blue shorts aren't listed. IMO, the Sounders look their best in that all-rave green look.

I'd prefer it if the MLS opened it up to let teams get their own supplier contracts, but I think adidas has done a very good job with the league. A lot of teams have unique designs (something you don't see from any supplier for any other league with the talent level of MLS) and most of those designs look good.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

While I definitely do think that there are some good designs in the MLS, the exclusive contract with Adidas really does stifle creativity and there are some teams that would benefit from having a new manufacturer. It's tiring seeing the three stripes on every single jersey.

Failing that, though, they need a new number font. I like the MLS logo, so it doesn't need to be replaced, but that number font is bad.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It's because most European leagues have standardized numbers. All prem clubs wear the same numbers in a select few colors. When arsenal for instance plays in the champs lg they wear numbers that are provided by Nike.

I can only recall England, France, Portugal, Scotland and Poland so it's definitely not the most of the leagues. German, Spanish and Italian teams tend to put the club logo on the shirt numbers.

I am on the fence with this. It's good to have a good number identity for the league but then when teams like Fulham or Blackburn play in Europe they roll with a cheap number font. I like the different number fonts Milan and Real Madrid roll out each year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

It's because most European leagues have standardized numbers. All prem clubs wear the same numbers in a select few colors. When arsenal for instance plays in the champs lg they wear numbers that are provided by Nike.

I can only recall England, France, Portugal, Scotland and Poland so it's definitely not the most of the leagues. German, Spanish and Italian teams tend to put the club logo on the shirt numbers.

Does the SPL have a standardized number font? I don't remember noticing one...

spacer.png

The MLS is long overdue for a new proprietary number font. It cheapens the look of the brand. While they're at it a new league crest would be nice. Not to mention open contracts for kit suppliers.

+1

It has for several years at least, yes.

16215.jpg

2503.jpg

5113.gif

787x.jpg

WVU '14

It's the "1"s and the "7"s that kill me. They currently look so similar....and this is coming from a guy who soaks up as much MLS as possible. The casual fan must be like "what the eff is going on here?! How do 2 players have the same number?"

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It has for several years at least, yes.

Yes, how could I forget

kb-93202.jpg

_48238775_charlie_mulgrew.jpg

spacer.png

Archived