NFL Uniforms 2011 (Week 1)

Dexter Morgan

Some thoughts:

- the jaguars look a lot better in all white than they do when they wear the black pants. It's not in the same universe as the original uniforms but maybe these are salvageable yet. Drop the flat black pants completely is what I'm saying.

- what's with the wrinkled numbers all over the league? Biggest offender: San Francisco.

- the browns look dumb in white at home.

- question: if you wear white jerseys because it's too hot to wear dark then doesn't it defeat the purpose if you then wear dark colored pants? Looking at Baltimore, San Diego.

- the 9/11 patch looked nice. Understated and well rendered.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
question: if you wear white jerseys because it's too hot to wear dark then doesn't it defeat the purpose if you then wear dark colored pants?

Not at all. Dark pants aren't going to make you overheat. Haven't you ever tried this?

The Giants' road look is mismatched, and as a rule of thumb mismatched looks don't work.

As with all rules, however, there are exceptions. The Giants' road look is one such exception to this rule, in my opinion. All the elements, mismatched as they are, just come together to create a great uniform.

The notion that the all caps GIANTS script clashes with the lower case ny logo doesn't pan out, as the all caps script doesn't appear on the uniforms.

Now i don't know if i missed something, but I'm just asking. i know there was talk of the broncos switching orange to the Primary and the Blue jersey to the Alt...Is this official or just talk? because the coaches and everything are wearing orange based things (stripes and stuff)

1. Redskins still have the throwback pants which don't go with the current uniform. They couldn't fix that in the offseason?

True, but with Nike coming in for 2012, maybe it wasn't logistically possible or cost effective. They've been wearing them for a few years, so whats one more.

Now i don't know if i missed something, but I'm just asking. i know there was talk of the broncos switching orange to the Primary and the Blue jersey to the Alt...Is this official or just talk? because the coaches and everything are wearing orange based things (stripes and stuff)

Yes, they're definitely switching back to orange as their primary color, and the dark blue will be their alternate.

They wanted to do it for this season but I read somewhere that they put the request in too late (according to ridiculous NFL mandates).

I like Denver's number fonts .... but for them only tho' .... da Bears are simalar if not the same, their's have always looked good.

my thoughts for the week:

- The Broncos' orange set might just be my favourite in the entire league. Fantastic looking matchup with the Raiders classic whites.

- The Jags have, without a doubt, the worst set in the league. First the Marlins, now the Jags. What is it with Florida teams de-emphasizing teal?

- Love, love, love the new Bills set. Can't wait to see the new blues at home this Sunday (in what should be another great looking matchup vs. the Raiders)

- The Rams blue pants absolutely kill that set. IMO, they should only ever wear the stripeless gold pants, home or road, period

- The Browns desperately need to bring back their orange pants.

- I hate the Pats with every fibre of my being, but their set grows on me a little more each year. Modern classic.

- The Broncos' orange set might just be my favourite in the entire league. Fantastic looking matchup with the Raiders classic whites.

- The Jags have, without a doubt, the worst set in the league. First the Marlins, now the Jags. What is it with Florida teams de-emphasizing teal?

- Love, love, love the new Bills set. Can't wait to see the new blues at home this Sunday (in what should be another great looking matchup vs. the Raiders)

- The Rams blue pants absolutely kill that set. IMO, they should only ever wear the stripeless gold pants, home or road, period

- I hate the Pats with every fibre of my being, but their set grows on my a little more each year. Modern classic.

I could not agree more with you about the Browns and the orange pants.

spacer.png

The Broncos look especially good in the oranges tonight. I'm not sure why

To me, the Broncos belong in orange jerseys.

I like the orange jerseys myself, I just hope that they do not change their helmet design because it is one of my favorite logos in the NFL.

spacer.png

- I hate the Pats with every fibre of my being, but their set grows on my a little more each year. Modern classic.

If any team ought to go to orange as primary it's the Bengals. Theirs are nice!

Denver's are okay ... I myself could hardly put theirs (orange or dk navy) amongst my favorites tho'...

Agree on the Jags ... I used to like theirs but every change they've made since inception they just kept chipping away at them for the worse. Miss the teal away numbers w/ gold shadow. Their all-white on Sunday was actually an improvement to those black away pants. I used to like the Jaguar on the sleeves when Tony Boselli was playing (not injured) there.

Love the Bills set, and with 2 straight home games it would be ideal if they surprised us all and wore white with the blue pants against the Raiders like Chuck Knox had us do in 1980. We won that 24-7 to go to 4-0, and the only points the Raiders scored that day was on defense when Lester Hayes intercepted Fergie and returned it about 50 yds for a TD. Then we can pop out the home blue jersey / white pants the following week against New England giving the fans the chance to see both sets of jerseys. But I'm dreaming, I'm afraid those blue pants just aren't coming out in the foreseeable future :(

Dunno bout orange pants for Cleveland, those were okay, but I so like their brown jerseys with white pants best, and their throwbacks w/ numbers on helmets and no TV numbers ... them going to white on white at home is madness! I wonder if they're gonna bring back those stripeless brown pants for road games? Johnny are you listening? ha :)

Patriots ... I liked 'em early in their big uniform change to Elvis with the royal blue with red numbers. Those rocked!!! Only thing wrong were the TV number were white which was really odd. The face-mask needed to be royal or red which they eventually corrected. I think that was just 1 season, 2 max ??

51s20AVN4%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Agree on the Rams, but not about stripeless gold pants ... Would love to see them play in their '65-'71 blue jersey throwbacks that were barely ever seen.

Hate the Patsies as much as you, but that stiff-arm by Welker last night was classic. That was Benny Sapp, the Dolphin CB that it happened to. His teammates are gonna chide him all week for that one. I hope Fitz picks on him all game when we play them down there on 20-Nov

I could not agree more with you about the Browns and the orange pants.

Not my favorite, but would love to see the Broncos go orange full-time. Then they only need the "other" white pants a couple times a year.

Heh, borderline worst. Poor execution with the lack of gold and teal on the whites and gold on the teals.

Agree with the Bills, though they NEED to wear the blue top socks with the all-white look.

Not big on my Rams in the all-navy either. The navy pants with white jersey isn't bad except the navy socks cause the putrid leotard look. I'd really love to see them fix the striping on the white pants (make the navy/gold/navy all the same size) and just wear them and/or the gold, either set, home and away.

Can't disagree more on the Browns. I love seeing them in the orange on top of brown on top of white and even their all-white. And I even love the mis-matched striping. For some reason, they just look awesome.

Pats = one of the worst road sets in the NFL. Absolutely hate seeing those navy pants with the white jersey and silver helmet. It'd be one thing if the helmet were white, but why they don't go silver pants on the road is beyond me. If they just took the navy off the side panels on the white jersey, leaving the navy shoulder and red piping down the side, then they would go great with the silver pants.

Back on the Rams/Eagles game for a second. There is something odd about Stephen Jackson's shoulder stripes. Seems like there is more white on his stripes than on other Rams players.

5266402b8dd6ed4217eb07ed33464a6e-getty-505667576.jpg

Really like Jackson's gold gloves and cleats.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Back for a second season...

Infrared41's best and worst looking games of the week. (Not that anyone care's but...Apologies for being so late with it this week.)

Questions and comments (and telling me how wrong I am) are always welcomed. :D

Best:

1. Seahawks - 49ers: One of the best home looks in the NFL hosting what is fast becoming my favorite road uniform in the NFL. A perfect match-up of traditional and modern.

Seahawks_49ers_Football_90030_game.jpgSeahawks_49ers_Football_89962_game.jpg

2. Saints - Packers: Thank goodness the Saints went with the gold pants for this one. They could have easily ruined this game by wearing the black pants. The Saints may be the only team in the NFL who can so easily go from best to worst with a simple change of pants. The Packers always look great. Also one of the best helmet match-ups in the NFL.

Saints_Packers_Football_89654_game.jpgSaints_Packers_Football_89635_game.jpg

3. Redskins - Giants: The Redskins gold pants look is just killer (mismatched stripes and all.) The Giants road unis could be better but they're still pretty good.

Giants_Redskins_Football_90069_game.jpgGiants_Redskins_Football_90027_game.jpg

5. Bills - Chiefs: How about that? The Bills finally made the best looking list without the need of a throwback. (to be honest, the Bills helmets got them here more than anything else.) The Chiefs don't have much trouble making the best list. They have one of the best looks in football.

Bills_Chiefs_Football_89865_game.jpg

5. Cowboys - Jets: The Cowboys uniforms have all sorts or problems, and they still look pretty good. The Jets have one of the best looks in the NFL. Imagine how great this game would look if the Cowboys corrected all their problems. Another top five helmet match-up.

Cowboys_Jets_Football_90136_game.jpg

Honorable mention: Lions - Bucs. There are some teams who look really good in all-white. The Bucs almost look really good in all-white. The Lions are a helmet stripe and number font away from greatness.

Worst:

Lucky for us, there weren't any truly awful match-ups this week. Vikings - Chargers came close. The Chargers uniforms have some serious issues, but they aren't entirely awful. The Vikings are everything that's wrong with modern uniforms.

That's it for this week. Be sure to tune in next week for another exciting episode.

BB52Big.jpg

2. Saints - Packers: Thank goodness the Saints went with the gold pants for this one. They could have easily ruined this game by wearing the black pants. The Saints may be the only team in the NFL who can so easily go from best to worst with a simple change of pants. The Packers always look great. Also one of the best helmet match-ups in the NFL.

I think any time you have Braisher stripes against Braisher stripes (that's the color/white/color stripe pattern), it's a great helmet match-up.

I don't understand why so many people classify Seattle's uni's as modern. Sure they have a unique primary color, but the actual design of the uniform seem pretty traditional to me.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I too hate when teams wear white jerseys on top of colored pants at home. It makes zero sense. The pants are just as much of an element in terms of space as the jerseys, so it's half-and-half either way. I always thought teams wore white at home in early games to beat the heat, or for fun for a "white" change up. But, you need to go all white to pull that off.

Archived