Bengals uniforms

kcroyalsfan

The Cincinnati Bengals uniforms are much maligned, and I can understand that the swapping of pants/jerseys and monochrome black is annoying, but I have been a Bengals fan all my life (and have LOVED the helmets ever since I was a kid). I guess my question is, if the Bengals moved back to Esiason-era uniforms:

boomer_esiason.jpg

<br>

111097esiason_500x350.jpg

instead of the current set:

display_image.jpg?x=527184

Would people like them better? Or is a whole redesign and rethinking of the helmets called for?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The helmets are too iconic IMO to change, and I happen to love them. I loved the Esiason set myself, I'm not too fond of the current set but the black jersey/white pants set is ok.

This. They messed with perfection.

Also, I love the leaping tiger logo on the sleeve...way better than the "B".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

First off, when most people hear "Esiason set", we probably think of the jerseys from the early '90s with the numbers on the sleeves and the Champion rounded-block font. That set was much better than the set that followed, which moved the numbers to the shoulders and added the sleeve logo.

As per the question, yes. I used to always have a soft spot for the Bengals until they started wearing these awful unis. Now, the only reason to ever root for them is if they're playing the Bears' division opponents or against the Ravens. Then again, I am also rooting for Ray Lewis to suffer a career-ending injury, so that isn't saying much.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

First off, when most people hear "Esiason set", we probably think of the jerseys from the early '90s with the numbers on the sleeves and the Champion rounded-block font.

This is true.

That set was much better than the set that followed, which moved the numbers to the shoulders and added the sleeve logo.

I do not agree with this. In fact, I think that the change in font and TV number position, and the addition of the sleeve logo, made it near perfect. If you take that set, throw a wordmark on there, and maybe a custom font (nothing outrageous - think Falcons or Texans) you'd have a great contemporary look.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

First off, when most people hear "Esiason set", we probably think of the jerseys from the early '90s with the numbers on the sleeves and the Champion rounded-block font.

This is true.

That set was much better than the set that followed, which moved the numbers to the shoulders and added the sleeve logo.

I do not agree with this. In fact, I think that the change in font and TV number position, and the addition of the sleeve logo, made it near perfect. If you take that set, throw a wordmark on there, and maybe a custom font (nothing outrageous - think Falcons or Texans) you'd have a great contemporary look.

Champion font aside, as I know I am one of the few people who love it, I think the original version was better because it was less cluttered. Okay, they are the Bengals, and we know this because of the shoulder loops with tiger stripes in them. We get it. They don't need to beat us over the head with it by adding a tiger to the sleeve. The only step after that is adding sublimated tiger stripes to the numbers (no, spleen, that is not a good idea). Plus, it made the jerseys more cluttered. Oh, and death to jersey wordmarks.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think the Bengal helmet is the only helmet that can serve as a full design. Look at Maryland's turtle pattern. Horrid. The Esiason jerseys are cool because the stripes are not overwhelming, there are no side panels, no shoulder yokes. They need to go back to that, get black pants as an alt, get an orange alt jersey, and use orange socks to break up the black pants/leotard look. Just my .02.

KISSwall09.jpg

I second this. The last of the previous sets is what should still be worn today. An orange alt would look pretty good, as there would be no "stripe" for the tiger stripes to be in, which would give it a bit of a change from the black and white jerseys. The current ones are a mess and just look as if someone tried to make them fit in with the current trend and did so in 15 minutes.

I like their orange alternates alot better .... with the white pants. Would like to see them as primary, and the black as alternates.

The orange jerseys, they've got that Bengal Tiger look

But those stripes on white or white stripes? Those have gotta go no matter what.

and the white jersey siding needs to go, in favor of more orange with black stripes along the sides merging towards the pant striping

I like those numbers with the black shadow .... damn sharp

09000d5d81c49907_gallery_600.jpg

Simplify and go back to basics is the name of the game.

Helmet: Great, leave it be.

Jersey: Remove white panels, Return to Boomer era shoulders, and add tiger HEAD to the sleeves.

Pants: Remove the white at the top, and that's about it.

I'd also like to see the whole set based around orange. Orange jersey and orange pants should be the home and road combo's.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

This is true.

Champion font aside, as I know I am one of the few people who love it, I think the original version was better because it was less cluttered. Okay, they are the Bengals, and we know this because of the shoulder loops with tiger stripes in them. We get it. They don't need to beat us over the head with it by adding a tiger to the sleeve. The only step after that is adding sublimated tiger stripes to the numbers (no, spleen, that is not a good idea). Plus, it made the jerseys more cluttered. Oh, and death to jersey wordmarks.

I tend to agree with this. I liked the leaping tiger logo, but it did not need to be on the jersey right under the tiger stripes. However, when the made the change to move the TV numbers and add the tiger, I thought it a minor downgrade and still felt they were among the best in the league (if not THE best). So I'm in the "I don't care which of the two they go back to" camp.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I honestly don't think the Bengals uniforms are horrid. They would REALLY WORK head to toe if the side panel didnt exist on the black jersey, and the white part on the pants striped was removed. That was the only excessive part of the updated design.

The sleeves go great with the home jersey. Maybe the road jerseys shoulder yoke could be changed around, but I honestly have never been that opposed to the Bengals uniforms. The other design had stripes that were really slammed into a stripe space...it didnt look as good to me.

The new ones really bring out the stripe design and let it flow. I dont know if anyone can really understand what I just said...but it makes sense in my own head.

I've made my case on this topic many times

The Bengals looked great with either this

121597dilloncowboys_500x431.jpg

or this

1573668.jpg.11272.0_display_image.jpg?1258662442

or even this

p1_johnson_rudi.jpg

It was a streamlined, updated version of this

e14d186db681b65e1ffee9eb3bcf3b3a.jpg

Which was a great uniform unto itself.

Those were NFL uniforms. I miss them very much and wear those jerseys most every Sunday to this day. I rarley wear the current jerseys. Their current uniforms are ugly tiger costumes and I can't wait for the day they change them.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived