College Basketball 2012-13

cajunaggie08

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minny with sweatbacks.

New-Minnesota-Basketball-Jersey.jpeg

Via Nike Blog

Looks like they aren't using the updated numbers font on their hoops jerseys like they are on their football jerseys. That doesn't make sense.

20120915_jrc_av4_061_extra_large.jpg

Stuff like that bugs me too. TCU women's bball and volleyball use the new number font, but women's soccer doesn't. I haven't seen the new men's ball unis yet.

Minny with sweatbacks.

Via Nike Blog

Looks like they aren't using the updated numbers font on their hoops jerseys like they are on their football jerseys. That doesn't make sense.

Stuff like that bugs me too. TCU women's bball and volleyball use the new number font, but women's soccer doesn't. I haven't seen the new men's ball unis yet.

"The design was influenced by Minnesota?s rich history and tradition. Perhaps the most recognizable feature of the new uniforms will be the font used for jersey numbers and other text. Nike used a number four found on a 1940 jersey worn by the National Champion Gophers and built an entire letter and number font, which is exclusive to Gopher Football."

from the football release that will explain the lack of number consistency

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

This has nothing to do with uniforms, but if you want to know how die hard Kentucky Fans are then check out this time-lapsed video that shows fans lining up 72 hours in advance for tickets to Midnight Madness (the first open practice of the year).

Over 24,000 tickets were handed out in only 35 minutes. How many schools can say they have this type of following?

spacer.png

From a distance, those ND uniforms look good. Are there any close-ups?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Minny with sweatbacks.

Via Nike Blog

"The design was influenced by Minnesota?s rich history and tradition. Perhaps the most recognizable feature of the new uniforms will be the font used for jersey numbers and other text. Nike used a number four found on a 1940 jersey worn by the National Champion Gophers and built an entire letter and number font, which is exclusive to Gopher Football."

The football numbering should've become the numbering for basketball as well, it's great and unique.

Minny with sweatbacks.

Via Nike Blog

That explains the origin of the new font, but it doesn't explain why Nike/Minnesota chose to only apply it to the football unis. They obviously decided that it didn't work as well in other applications, but I think it would look nice on other unis as well.

What is Maryland's sudden fascination with that wordmark? I mean this is getting ridiculous already, just but the damn M flag back on the court, or even the Terp.

That wordmark is now the primary wordmark...the "M" logo and the Terp are still part of the identity package:

MarylandUOf_ATHWMK01a_2011-9999_SCC_SRGB_zps749c58c2.png

I like the fact that Maryland has chosen to focus its' brand on "Maryland," and not "M." There are a number of schools with a big "M" as their primary brand, including Michigan, which frankly has a stronger overall brand in big-$ sports than the Terps do. Focusing on "Maryland" emphasizes state pride (especially in conjunction with the flag/heraldry imagery) and distinguishes Maryland from Minnesota, Michigan, Mizzou, Marshall, and any other school that could and/or does use a big "M" as part of their brand.

What is Maryland's sudden fascination with that wordmark? I mean this is getting ridiculous already, just but the damn M flag back on the court, or even the Terp.

That wordmark is now the primary wordmark...the "M" logo and the Terp are still part of the identity package:

I like the fact that Maryland has chosen to focus its' brand on "Maryland," and not "M." There are a number of schools with a big "M" as their primary brand, including Michigan, which frankly has a stronger overall brand in big-$ sports than the Terps do. Focusing on "Maryland" emphasizes state pride (especially in conjunction with the flag/heraldry imagery) and distinguishes Maryland from Minnesota, Michigan, Mizzou, Marshall, and any other school that could and/or does use a big "M" as part of their brand.

When I think of "Maryland" I think of their gaudy state flag and the Baltimore Ravens football crest. An "M" with those design and colors is distinguishable by itself as "Maryland".

There's no reason Maryland couldn't have developed a more succinct/compact secondary logo instead of blasting the entire name across the court.

When I think of "Maryland" I think of their gaudy state flag and the Baltimore Ravens football crest. An "M" with those design and colors is distinguishable by itself as "Maryland".

There's no reason Maryland couldn't have developed a more succinct/compact secondary logo instead of blasting the entire name across the court.

Maryland does have a new "M" wordmark:

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/acc/graphics/acc-10-hdr-schools-md.jpg

Archived