New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

To everyone calling the new Astros uniforms boring and generic, all we have is a single, still mostly blurred and blacked out, image. Let's wait until they're actually revealed or we get a quality look at them through a leak.

I personally love them. Reminds me of what the Blue Jays did, and those are some of the best in the league in my opinion. Simple. They had a little fun with the batting practice jersey though. Colorful.

How much of a hint can you give us towards the Cardinals supposed change?

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To everyone calling the new Astros uniforms boring and generic, all we have is a single, still mostly blurred and blacked out, image. Let's wait until they're actually revealed or we get a quality look at them through a leak.

I personally love them. Reminds me of what the Blue Jays did, and those are some of the best in the league in my opinion. Simple. They had a little fun with the batting practice jersey though. Colorful.

I'm guessing they went with the rainbow guts design for the batting practice jersey? If so I'm ok with that. If it has to be brought back, the batting practice set is a good place for it.

Pretty sad how far the Astros have fallen uniform-wise from these classics:

display_image.jpg?x=599067

236839d1322285742-gambo-t_wil1-photopack-pat_borders_-1995_astros-_2.jpg

Bagwell_Jeff_25.jpg

Most overrated look on these boards. I've never understood why so many people think that was such a great look. It's not bad, but it's hardly the modern classic it's made out to be.

Anyway, all the new uniform needs to do is look good; and from what little I've seen so far, it does.

BB52Big.jpg

Bagwell_Jeff_25.jpg

Most overrated look on these boards. I've never understood why so many people think that was such a great look. It's not bad, but it's hardly the modern classic it's made out to be.

Anyway, all the new uniform needs to do is look good; and from what little I've seen so far, it does.

I think they get a lot of love because they're the only Astros uniforms that come even remotely close to evoking images of actual astronauts.

Anyway, all the new uniform needs to do is look good

No, it also needs to actually reflect the team name and be unique from the rest of the league, and even from the tiny bit of the uniform we've been able to see so far, the Astros' uniform set fails epically on both counts.

No, infrared is more correct. Not every uniform HAS to express it's nickname exactly. The Astros do not HAVE to be unique from everyone else. As long as they look good, appropriate for their team name without having to go overboard and their fans approve, then that's all.

I'm pretty sure what the Astros are going to have is non-offensive uniforms. But they'll be boring and lame and their only positive quality will be the color scheme. Doesn't mean they'll have a lot of negative qualities either. It's just a missed opportunity to do something great.

I think baseball is the last sport in which you have to relate your team name to the uniforms. Should the Yankees switch to red pinstripes and add star trimming? Should the tigers add tiger stripes? Personally I don't think so, save that for the minor leagues. I'm pumped from what I've seen and can't wait until the 2nd!

Bagwell_Jeff_25.jpg

Nah, the most overrated look on these boards are the Pacers "Flo-Jo" unis. These Astros jerseys I get; the Pacers, not so much.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I have no idea why so many seem to like those 90s navy&metallic gold unis. Well, I guess to clarify, I thought the uni template itself was okay, but that logo and wordmark were both just bad IMO.

It's their only modernized outer space look.

I think that's the problem and why I never liked them. The "space" look always needs look futuristic, but what qualifies as "futuristic" is constantly changing. The 90s typeface looks like a very dated interpretation of the future to me. Going retro is a better shot at a timeless look.

Granted, the orange sherbet look was pretty dated by 1994, too. But that's got more retro-cool than the navy/gold unis.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I have no idea why so many seem to like those 90s navy&metallic gold unis. Well, I guess to clarify, I thought the uni template itself was okay, but that logo and wordmark were both just bad IMO.

I think that's the problem and why I never liked them. The "space" look always needs look futuristic, but what qualifies as "futuristic" is constantly changing. The 90s typeface looks like a very dated interpretation of the future to me. Going retro is a better shot at a timeless look.

Granted, the orange sherbet look was pretty dated by 1994, too. But that's got more retro-cool than the navy/gold unis.

Eh, I think the shooting star uniforms were an example of the Astros incorporating their team name into the uniform in a tasteful way without going overly futuristic.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

And give it 10 years or less before fans start clamoring for the "retro" open-star of the current set. Maybe it's just me, but I would have liked to see the Astros keep the current open star as a secondary logo. Some may say it's "boring" or "empty" compared to the H, but it's clean, simple, and unique.

Too bad it's going to be thrown away.

Also, aren't the batting practice uni's going to be game-eligible?

Why does a space theme need to look futuristic? Do we not have space in the present? The past? Hell we landed on the moon back in 1969, in the Astros 8th season of existence. Futuristic is not synonymous with space.

That's why the first shooting-star uniforms were so genius. They were clearly Space Age while fitting in with a baseball aesthetic.

Rather the opposite of the 1990s look in that regard.

...and looked hokey and terrible. Not that the 90s look was good, mind you. Are the Astros to baseball what the Canucks are to hockey?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived