2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the White Sox changed road pants.

Old with White Stripe:

Rios%281%29.jpg

New has no white stripe:

201304102015729270519-p2.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cardinals aren't in the same boat as those teams because they have worn a navy hat for most of their existence. And yes the red is a great cap... when paired with the home whites. The navy cap is a great cap when paired with the road grays, more so than the red. And with all due respect, the Cardinals fanbase overwhelmingly sided with navy over red. That should be enough, paired with the historical factor.

I agree with this 100% and I knew the Cardinals would try to smooth-talk their way out of the mess they created with the blue hat. Change for the sake of change. not something I expected from the Cardinals. Hopefully the blue hat is back to full time road next year?

I'm not for change when its done simply for "the sake of change" either, and I'm not an advocate of refusing to change because "thats the way it has always been". That being said, I'm always for getting it right at any time. I think the Cardinals got it right by utilizing the navy road hats and hope they come to their senses and go back to that look. That color road hat felt right and seemed to have a timeless feel to them. Its not like they went to an orange cap or something, right????

Apparently, the White Sox have made a uniform change without anyone knowing. Last night they wore their crappy black alternate jerseys for the first road game. They were unchanged, but the gray pants were changed. Instead of the black and white striped pants they have worn for the entirety of this identity (22 seasons), they wore pants with black piping. No idea yet if they have changed the road jersey, as it has sleeve cuffs matching the pants stripes. Even if they have, the black jersey now has random striping which no longer goes with either set of pants it's worn with.

White%20Sox%20Nationals%20Baseball.JPEG-0fc03.jpg

And here is the old verion:

duque-01.jpg?w=450&h=675

Even without seeing the gray unis, which I'd imagine have to have changed, this is just a giant downgrade, and done for no apparent reason. This is two years after the team decided to take the diamond sock patch of the roads and replace it with the Sox logo, because they were worried people would see "Chicago" in black and white script near a patch of a white stocking, and come to the conclusion that it was the Cubs. Also, even though they made that change, they STILL haven't fixed the lettering on the back of the black jerseys, which just look like clumps because the gray doesn't follow the form of the letters. The front office has had its fair share of blunders (and a few successes), but the marketing department has just been a colossal bumble :censored: for the last 30 years. Just completely tone-deaf and sometimes outwardly hostile to fans. At least their clownishness hadn't spread to the uniforms until recently. Ugh.

Thanks for posting this. I can't watch Sox games anymore because of my acute allergy to Hawkaroo.

Listen, White Sox, if you're going to keep tinkering (for the worse) with the best road look the team's ever had, just blow it up and start over. Then, when that's deemed a horrid and ugly mistake, just blow it up and start over again 3-to-5 years later, like Sox fans were accustomed to for the first 9 decades of the team's existence.

And Roman, you aren't kidding about the Sox' anti-marketing. I and my wife's family had such a bad experience at the Cell last year that we all (including my father-in-law, a lifelong southsider and retired CPD) decided that ballpark wouldn't see a dime of our money ever again.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Atlanta Braves apparently will have different piping on the pants when wearing the blue alternate. The regular road uniform will still have the standard Braves pants piping though.

Minor_zpsac8f9466.png

Here's another example of a team making the wrong choices.

The Braves should only wear one hat. You know which one I'm talking about. They also don't need those awful colorless alternates and they really don't need a special set of pants to wear with them.

Baseball was going really well last season with the Mets and Blue Jays reverting back to their best looks, but a wave of bad ideas is washing over EmmellBee (kiddie speak) this season.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Even if the Sox do still have the old pants to pair with the gray jersey, why the hell make the new ones for the black? If the Braves are using pants without red stripes, it's a terrible decision because the navy jersey shouldn't even exist, but I see the reasoning. But the Sox' black jersey features plenty of white, and the stripe pattern on the former gray pants match the pattern on the cuffs of the black jersey. Hopefully it's true that they will have two sets of road pants. It would still be really dumb, but better than messing up the gray further and making a mismatch.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The White Sox road look was one of the best in baseball before they got rid of the diamond patch. I still like it a lot, but it would be a shame if they go with the new pants with the gray jerseys. I don't see why they'd have two pairs of gray pants since the old ones matched the cuffs on the black jerseys. I've always been a fan of that thick cuff striping on baseball uniforms. Some people think it's too 80s, but I think it looks great. The Sox finally had a great look and didn't redesign every five years, but now they're slowly ruining it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Mets and Rockies are having a Turn Back the Clock Night at Denver next week. But the Mets will wear their 1993 home jerseys and the Rockies will wear their 1993 road jerseys (I'm assuming because the Rockies' first game was at Shea). It will be fun to see the old swoosh Mets jerseys again.

Colorado Rockies@Rockies2h

Check out the jerseys for #Rockies v #Mets #TurnBackTheClockNight next Tuesday, 4/16. Buy tix: http://atmlb.com/156ipj7 pic.twitter.com/NPPxWrte0u

Awesome. Love those original Rockies road jerseys.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Awesome! I'm actually going to this game (barring this snowstorm they're predicting for Denver) on my way out to California on Tuesday. Fantastic!

And yes, they're wearing the roads at home to commemorate their first ever game, played as visitors at Shea in April of '93.

BHl0O_zps7c867d1c.jpeg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Both teams even went double knit, instead of cool base. I really hope these are available in the team store!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Apparently, the White Sox have made a uniform change without anyone knowing. Last night they wore their crappy black alternate jerseys for the first road game. They were unchanged, but the gray pants were changed. Instead of the black and white striped pants they have worn for the entirety of this identity (22 seasons), they wore pants with black piping. No idea yet if they have changed the road jersey, as it has sleeve cuffs matching the pants stripes. Even if they have, the black jersey now has random striping which no longer goes with either set of pants it's worn with.

White%20Sox%20Nationals%20Baseball.JPEG-0fc03.jpg

And here is the old verion:

duque-01.jpg?w=450&h=675

Even without seeing the gray unis, which I'd imagine have to have changed, this is just a giant downgrade, and done for no apparent reason. This is two years after the team decided to take the diamond sock patch of the roads and replace it with the Sox logo, because they were worried people would see "Chicago" in black and white script near a patch of a white stocking, and come to the conclusion that it was the Cubs. Also, even though they made that change, they STILL haven't fixed the lettering on the back of the black jerseys, which just look like clumps because the gray doesn't follow the form of the letters. The front office has had its fair share of blunders (and a few successes), but the marketing department has just been a colossal bumble :censored: for the last 30 years. Just completely tone-deaf and sometimes outwardly hostile to fans. At least their clownishness hadn't spread to the uniforms until recently. Ugh.

Thanks for posting this. I can't watch Sox games anymore because of my acute allergy to Hawkaroo.

Listen, White Sox, if you're going to keep tinkering (for the worse) with the best road look the team's ever had, just blow it up and start over. Then, when that's deemed a horrid and ugly mistake, just blow it up and start over again 3-to-5 years later, like Sox fans were accustomed to for the first 9 decades of the team's existence.

And Roman, you aren't kidding about the Sox' anti-marketing. I and my wife's family had such a bad experience at the Cell last year that we all (including my father-in-law, a lifelong southsider and retired CPD) decided that ballpark wouldn't see a dime of our money ever again.

Looks like the white stripe road pants are just flat out gone. White Sox are wearing the road greys tonight:

Sox1Stripe_zps5e634236.png

The last shot with Paul Konerko high fiving Robin Ventura is the worst. The SOX patch and the single stripe together is way worse than:

fan-smacks-podsednik.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

And here is the old version:

Looks like the white stripe road pants are just flat out gone. White Sox are wearing the road greys tonight:

The last shot with Paul Konerko high fiving Robin Ventura is the worst. The SOX patch and the single stripe together is way worse than:

fan-smacks-podsednik.jpg

So...why is Pods getting punched in the face?

Archived