2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies and gentlemen, the first team to have downgraded from their original Edge set:

15212325832_slide.jpg

I can guarantee that their hired some new-wave graphic designer who wanted a "cleaner" look and knew absolutely nothing about hockey aesthetic.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Ladies and gentlemen, the first team to have downgraded from their original Edge set:

15212325832_slide.jpg

I can guarantee that their hired some new-wave graphic designer who wanted a "cleaner" look and knew absolutely nothing about hockey aesthetic.

they actually used the same guy throughout their entire history .. Terry Smith of Terry Smith Graphics. he did their original set and logos and the re-brand and now this mess

Doug WIlson explains that they are a lighter weight without the hem stripes, yokes etc.... have they heard of sublimation? you know their original jerseys were that way...not everything has to be added on top of layers... that way you could keep the hem stripes. and for cripes sake lose the front numbers!

tn_CoorsDog.jpgSharks_signature.jpgtn_five_hole_design_logo_copy.jpg

• Front numbers still there. Why? WHY?
  • Half-assing the removal of orange.
  • Lace-up collar with a contemporary design doesn't work
  • The collar contrasts on the road, but not the home. It should be black on both
  • They still use that cheap, truncated font for the captain's "C" - look how small it is compared to the front numbers
  • I still don't like having three similar shark logos on the same uniform. Use the fin, or at the very least, the "SJ" as a shoulder patch and save the full-bodied shark as an alternate jersey crest
  • No hem stripes. Why? Because it's like the "kewl" black third? Because it's 0.000007% lighter like the players like and they can wear them in the playoffs?

Thank God I cheer for a team with well-established uniforms. Tampa Bay, Carolina, San José, and probably Minnesota...which '90s/'00s expansion team is next to update their Edge set and make it even worse? Columbus? Florida?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

No wonder this organization has won a total of 3 Conference Finals games in its history... Absolutely incompetent. Losing the hem stripes is an instant fail, as is keeping the full bodied shark as shoulder patch… It’s the same damn logo as on the front, minus a triangle. They could have used the Fin or even the sheild with the sun would be a better alternative... At least with the front numbers they have something in common with an equally incompetent organization in the Sabres… Only thing this unveiling is good for is a hearty laugh at this team’s expense… I hope they never win a Stanley Cup.

Rant over.

Big time downgrade. While people might not have liked the orange, the template was solid before. Now it looks like they just removed random elements and it really looks like things are missing from this look. I absolutely loved the Sharks' last look and this is just a bastardization of it.

They could be better, but I like them. In fact, I think they're an improvement over their original edge uniforms of which I was never a fan.

I like that they're still in teal. I like the minimalization of orange. I like the subtly modern stripes. I wish there was a hem stripe, but it's not a deal-breaker. I love the elimination of the shoulder yoke as that element always made the old ones feel like generic bargain store jerseys.

Changes I'd make to these:

Black collar on both jerseys

fin logo on the shoulders as the shark bodies are redundant

replace orange with gray

lose the front numbers and forget they were ever a thing (I'm talking to all of hockey right now)

pants stripes

and how about allowing a little teal on those gloves?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Changes I'd make to these:

Black collar on both jerseys

fin logo on the shoulders as the shark bodies are redundant

replace orange with gray

lose the front numbers and forget they were ever a thing (I'm talking to all of hockey right now)

pants stripes

and how about allowing a little teal on those gloves?

That's exactly what I was thinking they should have done. They remind me of Carolina's new duds. Plain and boring.

I understand that sometimes less is more but come on. They just look so dull and uninspired.

The Catch of the Day!

Yeah, get rid of hem stripes because they're "too heavy" (um, they're sewn into the jersey, not onto it), but keep multi-layer tackle-twill numbers on the front. Sharks manangement is 2007ing all over the place with these.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They went with a inferior look, just to have a cash grab. They put selling more jerseys before their team's appearance.

This does nothing to improve the their look. Only downgrade it. I give these a big fat F-

Archived