NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just about to post that. I love the purple jersey with the orange numbering. Perfect! Sadly, the white home uniform looks like a Spurs jersey. Yuck!

Seriously, the numbers on the home uniforms should have been PURPLE!!! What is wrong with the Suns organization???

Join the movement to bring PURPLE and ORANGE back to the Phoenix Suns! Sign the petition HERE.

more Suns leaks (yawn):

tumblr_inline_mqjv252sJX1qz4rgp.jpg

tumblr_inline_mqilmp5pjz1qz4rgp.jpg

So basically the only thing left to see is weather or not there is a sunburst under the wordmark. I'm guessing the number is to the left of and below the wordmark. Given how generic NBA uniforms are these days, I'm not counting on the sunburst being there.

At first glance, I thought the purple jersey had a black outline, but the outline is just the dark purple.

Hey, you know what would have been cool there? A :censored:ing white outline, but I guess that would break with the whole "let's pay homage to the really bright thing which gives us our light by darkening everything" plan.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Teams don't introduce alternates until a season or two into the new set, right? That's the norm?

That was a rule. Not so sure it is anymore, especially with this sleeved crap Adidas is now pushing. I'm sure PHX will have an alternate right away.

Damn you Adidas

Go A's!

Does anyone else agree that purple numbers on the white home uniforms would have looked nice? They're using an orange wordmark, so the purple numbers, albeit minimal, would have looked nice on the overall design. I really hope there is some major fan backlash when these atrocities are officially unveiled. So many missed opportunities. I hate this whole black-and-orange agenda.

Join the movement to bring PURPLE and ORANGE back to the Phoenix Suns! Sign the petition HERE.

Does anyone else agree that purple numbers on the white home uniforms would have looked nice? They're using an orange wordmark, so the purple numbers, albeit minimal, would have looked nice on the overall design. I really hope there is some major fan backlash when these atrocities are officially unveiled. So many missed opportunities. I hate this whole black-and-orange agenda.

I think it is pretty rare when the majority of a fan base absolutely despises what is done in a refresh or rebrand. This could be one of those times, although there is no way these unis will be worse than the ones they are replacing. This might be one of those cases of the right idea but questionable execution.

more Suns leaks (yawn):

tumblr_inline_mqjv252sJX1qz4rgp.jpg

tumblr_inline_mqilmp5pjz1qz4rgp.jpg

So basically the only thing left to see is weather or not there is a sunburst under the wordmark. I'm guessing the number is to the left of and below the wordmark. Given how generic NBA uniforms are these days, I'm not counting on the sunburst being there.

The only sunburst teasers were shown on purple fabric. I can't imagine the home jersey having a sunburst, considering everything about it is as simplistic as you can go.

I think it is pretty rare when the majority of a fan base absolutely despises what is done in a refresh or rebrand. This could be one of those times, although there is no way these unis will be worse than the ones they are replacing. This might be one of those cases of the right idea but very poor execution.

Overall, I actually like most of the changes the Suns have made with this rebrand. The new logos look slick (even the 'S' is growing on me), the court is nice, the new font is good and the jerseys are shaping up. As you say, the execution is very poor, though. The Suns' colors are purple and orange. A little more purple to go along with the orange on the logos, the court and the jerseys is all that was needed to make these changes a homerun. Instead, they purposely omitted part of the team's heritage for who knows what reason. Silly and misguided. Use black.... lots of black, but don't ditch purple just for the hell of it. The away jerseys are a perfect example. So far, they look great with a perfect blend of what the Suns are. The home jerseys and court will match, but will look like a totally different team. Be mostly black and orange at home, but don't totally eliminate purple at the freakin' PURPLE PALACE!

I think it is pretty rare when the majority of a fan base absolutely despises what is done in a refresh or rebrand. This could be one of those times, although there is no way these unis will be worse than the ones they are replacing. This might be one of those cases of the right idea but very poor execution.

Overall, I actually like most of the changes the Suns have made with this rebrand. The new logos look slick (even the 'S' is growing on me), the court is nice, the new font is good and the jerseys are shaping up. As you say, the execution is very poor, though. The Suns' colors are purple and orange. A little more purple to go along with the orange on the logos, the court and the jerseys is all that was needed to make these changes a homerun. Instead, they purposely omitted part of the team's heritage for who knows what reason. Silly and misguided. Use black.... lots of black, but don't ditch purple just for the hell of it. The away jerseys are a perfect example. So far, they look great with a perfect blend of what the Suns are. The home jerseys and court will match, but will look like a totally different team. Be mostly black and orange at home, but don't totally eliminate purple at the freakin' PURPLE PALACE!

I think the biggest gripe is the elimination of purple in the primary logo, and the way it looks, lack of purple used in the home uniform. Other than that, this might not be as bad as people are expecting. Remember, the criticism on here is automatically going to be extra harsh, just given the nature of this board, but for fans in general, we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure the bigger use of black was more for marketing than anything else. Black shirts and hats are probably an easier sell than purple.

I think the biggest gripe is the elimination of purple in the primary logo, and the way it looks, lack of purple used in the home uniform. Other than that, this might not be as bad as people are expecting. Remember, the criticism on here is automatically going to be extra harsh, just given the nature of this board, but for fans in general, we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure the bigger use of black was more for marketing than anything else. Black shirts and hats are probably an easier sell than purple.

If the logos had been purple and orange, the black shirts and hats would have been great. Imagine a black shirt with a purple and orange 'S' logo on it? That would be nice.

They have a black polo shirt with the black and orange 'S' logo on it and you can barely make it out.

uYOpdDm.jpg

Also, they have this:

FGtm65t.jpg

Picture the logo with a little purple in it (whether it's the square behind the sunburst or the frame. It's subtle, but breaks up the overload of black. Primarily black logos on black hats and shirts just looks bland.

It stands to reason if the sunburst is on the road jersey it has to be on the home jersey as well. I predict, the only purple we'll see on the home jersey will be the on the shorts.

By the way, when Paul Coro announced "black road jerseys" last month, I started a campaign on Facebook (Keep Phoenix Suns Purple).

It stands to reason if the sunburst is on the road jersey it has to be on the home jersey as well. I predict, the only purple we'll see on the home jersey will be the on the shorts.

By the way, when Paul Coro announced "black road jerseys" last month, I started a campaign on Facebook (Keep Phoenix Suns Purple).

At this point, I'm not even convinced we'll see it on the shorts. The teaser of the patch on the shorts might have been from the purple jersey, thus the purple. Ultimately, we'll just have to wait and see. The fact that they aren't using purple numbers on the home uniform leads me to believe the home uniform will be devoid of any purple. If the top has an orange wordmark, orange neckline, orange side-stripe..... a slight bit of purple on the shots is going to look out of place.

I think the basic design is going to remain the same throughout all jerseys, just the wordmark color, number color and base uniform color are going to change.

So they basically have two identities...black orange at home then purple orange black on the road...well I can guess that these sleeved unis will only be orange and black. What's crazy is that I believe the fans wanted the purple to stay and if that's correct then they won't ever get to see any purple in person unless they travel with the team...weird and a** backwards concept

At this point, I'm not even convinced we'll see it on the shorts. The teaser of the patch on the shorts might have been from the purple jersey, thus the purple. Ultimately, we'll just have to wait and see. The fact that they aren't using purple numbers on the home uniform leads me to believe the home uniform will be devoid of any purple. If the top has an orange wordmark, orange neckline, orange side-stripe..... a slight bit of purple on the shots is going to look out of place.

I think the basic design is going to remain the same throughout all jerseys, just the wordmark color, number color and base uniform color are going to change.

To be honest, are there any other jerseys that do this? One color scheme at home, and something different for road?

It seems unprecedented.

Maybe orange and black is the only common theme now, and white and purple are the secondary colors?

Orange / Black / White - Home

Orange / Black / Purple - Away

To be honest, are there any other jerseys that do this? One color scheme at home, and something different for road?

It seems unprecedented.

Maybe orange and black is the only common theme now, and white and purple are the secondary colors?

Orange / Black / White - Home

Orange / Black / Purple - Away

Seems to me most teams use their primary colors evenly. It's apparent to me that the purple away uniform was meant to be black. Everything points to that. The only purple that will be seen on the Suns this season, home or away, is the base-purple away uniform. If the base color wasn't purple and was black, the uniform would still work and would fit more into the new Halloween color scheme. Imagine an all black uniform with orange and white wordmark, orange striping, orange neckline and orange lettering. Right now, while I like the purple away jersey, it does seem very out of place. I'm sure Mr. Sarver will replace it with the original all-black jersey in a year or two. You know, because he's so in-touch with what long time Suns fans really want. :/

It seems unprecedented.

Back in the 80s the Kings had white home unis with red & navy, and powder blue roads with red & white. The navy only appeared on the homes, the powder blue on the roads and then a 3rd shade of blue for the logo (I'm sure Colorwerx will be along with the exact colours). That's the closest I can think of in the modern NBA.

I think the orange number on the road unis would look better trimmed in white, as the black's going to be invisible from any kind of distance. I do not like one single thing about the homes from what I've seen so far though...

Archived