**UNVEILED** New Dallas Stars logo and uniforms (earlier logo leaks confirmed)

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the way the silver looks myself. More so then I think gold does in any of the modifications I've seen. I guess I just don't see how the italic star was sacred ground while the gold was take-it-or-leave-it.

This is a really average re-brand. However their old set was awful so this is an upgrade in my eyes.

It would be hard to do worse than the old look. I suppose the could have just written STARS in helvetia and called it a day....

The best part about it is that there will be one less wordmark logo in the NHL....

tigercatssignature-1.png

The italic star is the best part. Every logo since 1967 has had that same shaped star.

Keep in mind that, overall, I like the new logo.

That being said if it's so important to keep the italic star because it's been there since day one, why abandon the gold?

Because traditon means squadouche today! It's all about creating whatever's going to generate the most sales!

New colors = More people will be driven to get a piece of updated merch. The italic star is just lucky to have survived the rebrand.

See, this is the kind of look the Lightning should've gone for. The silver doesn't look bad at all, but after so many years of associating Green & Gold with the North Stars/Stars, it just comes off as a "What the.....why, man?" kind of deal.

Maybe this will put things in perspective:

Stars-Logo-History.jpg

Yeah, that pic just drives it home. I really wonder what made them go with silver.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

The italic star isn't sacred or take it or leave it. Its just nice to see. Feels comfy and familiar to this fan. I would have preferes green and athletic gold, no black. But I am not upset that we are kelly green black and silver. I think it looks great even if its not exactly what I would have done. I'm happy with it.

I agree with you in theory, but one could make a reaching case for "amateur" with the way the black stroke of the D cuts off three of the five star-points. Lower-right looks especially clunky.

To be fair, artistically speaking, it follows the shading of the bevel itself:

Left and top: light source/lightest

Right and bottom: shaded/medium

Thus, there would a slight shadow on the lower and right sides of the 'D' if it was slightly raised off the star. Not trying to be an :censored: or fecicious, just offering up a possible artistic explanation.

EDIT: Now that I look at it from that point of view, I think the lower left "shadow" is coming from the wrong side. I think it should be on the inside/silver part, not on the outside/white part.

See, this is the kind of look the Lightning should've gone for. The silver doesn't look bad at all, but after so many years of associating Green & Gold with the North Stars/Stars, it just comes off as a "What the.....why, man?" kind of deal.

Maybe this will put things in perspective:

Stars-Logo-History.jpg

Yeah, that pic just drives it home. I really wonder what made them go with silver.

The more I get to looking at this logo, it does in some respects pay homage to the North Stars. The NS used a N and a Star. Here the Stars are using a D and a Star. Only the Star isn't above the D but merged together. it's kinda one way of looking at it.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I agree with you in theory, but one could make a reaching case for "amateur" with the way the black stroke of the D cuts off three of the five star-points. Lower-right looks especially clunky.

Thus, there would a slight shadow on the lower and right sides of the 'D' if it was slightly raised off the star. Not trying to be an :censored: or fecicious, just offering up a possible artistic explanation.

I kinda see it that way when you put it like that, but my first thought is still that there's something awkward about it. It sure seems like beveling creates more problems than it solves. Remember how someone (maybe you) broke down all the mistakes in the Milwaukee Bucks' updated primary?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Somebody pointed this out on one of the Stars' blogs, but the bottom of the D looks like it's cut off and I can't unsee it.

Keep in mind, this is not the "official logo" - just someone that re-created it. The black/green outlining looks heavier on the black in the lower right of the Benn photo, but in the stand alone "D-Star" image, the green seems thicker than the black - not to mention it is not the same width all the way around (notice far right point, bottom). If you take a hard look all the way around, it is very rough... simple mistakes that even a novice designer would be able to notice and fix.

You would be amazed of the difference of a little fine tuning that the official, high-res logo will clear up. Don't freak out quite yet.

I remember someone hinting that the Stars were looking to emulate the Cowboys in some form. Sounded like a bunch of rubbish but now I can see their green and silver being their intended counterpart to the blue and silver.

I was thinking this too after finally jumping over here from the NHL megathread. The Stars have now officially become the Dallas Stars. It's not just the Cowboys - silver is part of every Dallas team. The Cowboys and Mavs pair it with double-blue, the Rangers with red and blue, and now the Stars are silver and green.

Heck, the Mavs might be tempted to steal this scheme for their new "fan-made" look. Or maybe even green-silver-navy.

And one thing I haven't seen mentioned in all the laments about the passing of a unique color scheme: The Wild are now free to go green and gold. You know they want to. As much as I like the Wild's original unis, if they end up green and gold I don't think too many people will be upset that Dallas went green-silver-black.

EDIT: Also, this is just a leak. We haven't seen the rebrand yet.

I actually spoke with Chris Creamer (via email) a few days before the leak. He mentioned that he actually saw the designs, and stated that the colour scheme was changing. Then the logos here leaked, and I contacted Creamer about the news as I created this thread, and he said that these leaked logos are 100% accurate and real. These logos here are the real deal folks.

I kinda see it that way when you put it like that, but my first thought is still that there's something awkward about it. It sure seems like beveling creates more problems than it solves. Remember how someone (maybe you) broke down all the mistakes in the Milwaukee Bucks' updated primary?

It wasn't me, but I remember that. I know beveling also has certain Texas A&M alumni up in arms as well. Bevels are hard to do correctly when you are limited to two colors and if you go for accuracy, you usually end up with way too detailed of a design...

In this case, I think bevel AND the double outline could be considered overkill, especially on the white uniform. I think I would have preferred them to go the Wings/Leafs/Lightning route, kept the design simple, and flip the crest colors for home and road. But unless they plan on going double-green bevel with a black outline on the white uniform (or use the roundel), It's going to be a white/silver crest on a white jersey.

The logo is indeed flawed. But it's a sign of good things to come.

The new colors also open the doorway for another team to claim green and gold like Cubsfan said. It can be said Minnesota might flirt with the idea but it's become evident that they want to remain different and keep their current colors.

I also wanna recommend The Last Stand if you haven't already seen it.

Midway.png

I actually really like this. Think it's a vast improvement to be truthfully honest.

As many have said, anything would have been a vast improvement over the recent black college set. While I don't hate the new look, to me it doesn't hold a candle to the early 2000's look. Logo too.

newsig.jpg

Slap this logo on und's sweaters and it looks pretty classic to me.

Image5-28.png

Very solid if you ask me...

Oh yeah that's nice. To all you haters you will grow to accept it pretty quickly I think.

It's been almost 24 hours and I still like the logo.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Got a larger image of that tweaked logo by itself?

rlU0zyL.png

My tweaks are far from perfect, but you get the idea: straightened-out star with less italicized D and gold reintroduced to the color scheme.

I definitely like your tweaked logos better. The gold looks so much better than the silver IMO.

I personally still prefer the silver over the gold here. The square star doesn't work with the italicized D. Looks even more awkward than what some people claim the official one to be. At least they flow together.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived