NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

Amazing.

Tremendous turnaround from the San Diego game. I expected the Colts to be mor competitive but this was beyond that. Fantastic.

Absolutely tremendous performance from the defense. Mathis leading the pressure up front. Secondary and specifically the corners with fantastic man to man coverage, at least early. The injuries in the second half really hurt them, so hopefully the bye week can be good to guys like Butler and Howell.

Offensively, Andrew Luck was a man tonight. Stood in the pocket and delivered some lasers. Those 3rd down runs by Luck were just awesome. Running game overall was much more effective. (Still not great, but effective.) Took advantage of the opportunities provided. But just like the injuries on defense hurt, seeing Reggie Wayne go down like that (especially on a play that surely would have been a TD) was painful. Like I said, the bye week comes at a good time for something like this. Can only hope it's not serious.

Like red/Greg said, combine this game with the SF/Seattle games, it's really a damn shame what they put on the field in San Diego. Yes the Chargers played well in that game, but if nt for a couple dropped TDs/3rd downs, the Colts would sit at 6-1, tiebreaker over the Broncos, with the assumption Denver beats KC once if not twice and the Colts own game against KC playing into homefield advantage.

This Colts team can come to play. This isn't just a "lucky" or emotionally boosted team like last season. This is a good team. A damn good team.

----

And It was weird to be on the otherside of Peyton Manning. It was weird seeing him in that building. It was weird seeing him go against those blue uniforms and horseshoed helmets. It was weird to see Mathis sack him. The reception Indianapolis provided was awesome. And despite how some people wanted to skew certain comments this week, Indy and the Colts are a city and a franchise that appreciated everything Peyton did.

Did we all wish there were a couple more championships? Of course, and I'm sure Peyton would tell you the exact same thing. I root for the Broncos every week they're not playing the Colts. I wish nothing but the best for Peyton and thank him for everything he gave.

But the cord is finally severed. The return is complete, and Andrew Luck is the rightful successor to Peyton under center in Indianapolis.

Onward. GO COLTS!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure wish the Broncos would cut ties with Ronnie Hillman. Although Hillman did recover that fumble. He had it pinned against his leg.

Isn't every turnover supposed to be reviewed? You could have a very interesting argument about whether he recovered that ball or not, and it seems like the Colts snapped the ball 30 seconds after he fumbled.

Really f--king vexed about that fumble. Fox should never have went away from Welker on that play. On that drive, Welk was absolutely OWNING the Colts secondary up to that point. From there, Denver had 4 shots to hit Welker, or any of Peyton's targets in for six. Hillman should never have touched the ball to begin with. Gotta stick with what got ya there, especially since it was clicking so well on that drive.

6uXNWAo.png

Sure wish the Broncos would cut ties with Ronnie Hillman. Although Hillman did recover that fumble. He had it pinned against his leg.

Isn't every turnover supposed to be reviewed? You could have a very interesting argument about whether he recovered that ball or not, and it seems like the Colts snapped the ball 30 seconds after he fumbled.

Really f--king vexed about that fumble. Fox should never have went away from Welker on that play. On that drive, Welk was absolutely OWNING the Colts secondary up to that point. From there, Denver had 4 shots to hit Welker, or any of Peyton's targets in for six. Hillman should never have touched the ball to begin with. Gotta stick with what got ya there, especially since it was clicking so well on that drive.

I still don't understand why on earth he would run an inside draw from the one to RONNIE HILLMAN?!??!! It makes no sense whatsoever. Moreno or even Ball would make more sense, but not Hillman. I was peeved with the call BEFORE they showed there was a fumble.

On the bright side, this loss will likely mean the media will calm down some on Denver for once. That is one thing I've been uncomfortable with all season is the media slathering all over the Broncos. I've never liked it when that's the case.

The Kansas City Chiefs, the team who went 2-14 last season, are the last undefeated team in the NFL. 7-0 feels great, I truly believe we can beat anyone on our schedule at this point. It isn't pretty but that Defense is the BEST I have EVER seen! The O needs work but always seems to do just enough to win. Can't wait for week 11, I haven't been this excited for a football game in years. If Jamaal, Dwayne, Alex and Dexter can put up some points in Denver I'm sure we can and will win in Denver and KC. (admittedly this is a BIG IF.)

This team is much better built for the playoffs than any Chiefs team in my lifetime! (I'm 19)

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I think the Chiefs are the new Texans. A few years ago, Houston finally hit their stride, had all the right weapons, and were one of the best teams in the league after a less than impressive first decade or so. Now, the Chiefs have the weapons and are hitting their stride, going from the #1 overall pick to probably somewhere in the late first round.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I'm very happy with the way the Bengals' offense played yesterday. The defense didn't look great and Stafford/Johnson cut them up. At no point in the last 5 minutes did I think the Bengals were going to win, but they took advantage of a Lions mistake and Nugent hit a big 54 yarder to win. 5-2 and a two game division lead is fine with me.

Leon Hall being out for the season with another Achilles injury isn’t fine with me. That sucks and it’ll change a lot of how the defense has to play.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Injuries keep piling up for the Pack, James Jones shouldn't be out too much longer, but losing Finley now really sucks. Just as he maybe was finally getting going, another injury derails him. Division leaders (albeit half a game) with the schedule playing into our favour. I don't take any division game for granted but Minnesota twice, Chicago once, Detroit once, with the Eagles and Giants thrown in there, the chance for the Pack to really put some distance between everyone else in this division is there.

Defense is coming along, its just the matter of grinding through the injuries. They'll have definitely earned every victory if they have 8 or 9 wins by the end of Thanksgiving Thursday.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Wonder why they went with the Yellow helmet, over the faux leatherheads?

Yup, the Browns have pieces. Especially on that defense. They literally just need a capable Quarterback to get that ball to Josh Gordon and Greg Little. I can only imagine what would everything be like had they not traded that 6th overall pick to Atlanta and drafted Julio Jones.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Reggie Wayne does indeed have a torn ACL

... :censored: !

*slides beer down counter*

Hey guys how's everybody's Sunday going. I had this weird dream that the refs were terrible and lost control of today's Rams-Panthers game and Chris Long got ejected and Bradford tore his ACL and is done for the season and....

What?

It's Monday?

That actually happened?

:censored:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Reggie Wayne wouldn't have been so distraught if that was just a "simple" knee injury. ACL tears have that dreaded "pop" to them, and these players know what that pop is. With regards to Reggie himself, that is just such awful news, because there are few players in the league who are more likeable and well liked throughout the rest of the NFL than Reggie Wayne.

At the same time, what have we learned about the Colts since last year? That they are a team loaded with character and toughness. They will find a way to keep churning out results; I have little doubt about that.

Also, a couple pennies about this:

And despite how some people wanted to skew certain comments this week, Indy and the Colts are a city and a franchise that appreciated everything Peyton did.

Irsay's comments were taken out of context, there's little question about that, although the fact that he still broached the topic itself was completely unnecessary and it should've been little surprise that mentioning rings was risky business.

That said, I think that as time has gone on, the opposite is going to be the ultimate legacy of Peyton's Colts; that Peyton took some otherwise inadequate teams (WRT being championship-calibre) and had very good regular seasons and even playoff runs with rosters that most QB's would've struggled to even get to the playoffs with. I really don't want to create a Tom Brady/Peyton Manning pissing match here, and the situations/backups were a bit different, but there is something to be said that a Patriots team sans-Brady for 63 quarters out of 64 in 2008 went 11-5, and the Colts sans-Manning went 2-14. Peyton really lifted some of those Colts teams beyond their means. I think there is little doubt that many of those Patriots teams during the height of the Colts-Patriots rivalry were superior built teams compared to those of the Colts.

And people will love to mention what happened last year in the playoffs. Peyton didn't have his greatest game, but it's not his fault Rahim Moore had the biggest :censored: up a DB has had in a long time in the NFL, all things considered. Erase that, and Peyton's one-and-done woes aren't a story in 2012, and the Broncos probably reach the Super Bowl.

spacer.png

Not saying Manning wasn't masking a lot of holes his last 2 seasons playing for Indy and wasn't going to be critical to the success of that 2-14 team (he was) but 1) The Colts did usually surround him with offensive talent, and 2) That 2-14 team would have struggled to a wild card berth at best with Manning. The bigger problem was that the Colts' depth had eroded too far by that point.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And people will love to mention what happened last year in the playoffs. Peyton didn't have his greatest game, but it's not his fault Rahim Moore had the biggest :censored: up a DB has had in a long time in the NFL, all things considered. Erase that, and Peyton's one-and-done woes aren't a story in 2012, and the Broncos probably reach the Super Bowl.

Rahim Moore didn't throw the game-losing pick in overtime. Moore (and Champ Bailey as well) was the convenient scapegoat for Broncos fans, but it shouldn't be forgotten that Peyton still had a chance to lead Denver to the win after that play and failed in similar fashion to so many of his other playoff flameouts.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Peyton Manning...well I'll disagree with your central premise Kramerica. Tune into BASS' next episode in a little over a week to hear more :D

[/shameles plug]

As usual, I'm inclined to agree with my esteemed colleague. To hear more, tune in to the next episode of BASS. My guess is the third member of the BASS crew will see Peyton Manning a little differently than Mike and I do. [/shameless plug] And don't forget to catch this week's episode of Basically a Football Show. I'll be anointing the Colts as the best team in the NFL. [actual /shameless plug]

BB52Big.jpg

Archived