The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

I wonder what the NFL is losing by continuing to push the terrible screened jerseys at $80. For the average user, if you go to NFL.com, your options are $80 for crap, or $300 for "authentic." You go to eBay, and you see tons of sewn, nicer jerseys (certainly compared to the screened) for $50-$75. If you're not aware of the illegalities, you'd be dumb to go for the screened version.

Yes, there is such a thing as too good to be true, but I think (as I've said before in this thread) the NFL is in part creating this second-hand marker by the way its official items are priced.

Note: I'm not making a moral or legal argument; only an economic one.

Don't they still have their equivalent to the NBA's old swingman? I got a Bears one last year and I believe it was $100. Numbers and names are sewn on one layer with the other layers screenprinted on top of that.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I wonder what the NFL is losing by continuing to push the terrible screened jerseys at $80. For the average user, if you go to NFL.com, your options are $80 for crap, or $300 for "authentic." You go to eBay, and you see tons of sewn, nicer jerseys (certainly compared to the screened) for $50-$75. If you're not aware of the illegalities, you'd be dumb to go for the screened version.

Yes, there is such a thing as too good to be true, but I think (as I've said before in this thread) the NFL is in part creating this second-hand marker by the way its official items are priced.

Don't they still have their equivalent to the NBA's old swingman? I got a Bears one last year and I believe it was $100. Numbers and names are sewn on one layer with the other layers screenprinted on top of that.

Yes, they're called premier jerseys, and they are most definitely still available.

I don't understand what's so bad about the screened replicas. I never pay full price for them (got several at the Broncos team store for half price on black friday) and the material is actually quite durable. I've never had issues with them. Only when I was younger and thought nothing of throwing them in the dryer like other clothes.

Basically, it's impossible to even make an argument with some of the stubborn people in this thread. A typical exchange goes as:

Person 1: If I can get a jersey for cheap, I don't care that it's illegal and I'm going to buy it.

Person 2: You're saying that there is no legal issue with buying counterfit jerseys, you are entitled to a jersey at a lower price, and doing things illegal isn't bad. It is also ok to kill people. That is exactly what you're saying.

Wow, that's so far off you have no idea.

BTW, one of the members on your 'side' is the one that started comparing one illegal activity to another with his, "well, you speed so you're just as guilty because you commit crime too."

But it really isn't. Every time I've posted in this thread my message has had the same general gist: If I can buy a jersey for less money from a China counterfit site, I don't care that it's illegal, and I'm going to do it.

The responses I get:

-You're claiming that you're entitled to a jersey at a lower price

-You're saying that doing illegal things is ok, so it's also OK to rob a bank

-You're saying there's no legal issue with what you're doing

^NO! I'm not saying any of that. "If I can buy a jersey for less money from a China counterfit site, I don't care that it's illegal, and I'm going to do it." - period. It's a simple as that. And a question that I have for everyone so against others buying one counterfit jersey: Why do you care? In what way will this affect your life? Yes, I know it's illegal, but it really can't be compared to murder or robbing a bank. If anything, buying a counterfit jersey is equivilant to smoking pot. Yeah, it's illegal, but why would it really bother one's neighbors?

And yes, I'm prepared for all of the angry and sarcastic responses that I'm going to get for this.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Why do you care?

Indeed. If you don't care that it's illegal, why are you coming in here trying to defend your purchase? Just like the "wrestling is fake" and "soccer isn't real football" comments, if you really don't care about the topic or the opinion of those that disagree with you, don't join the conversation. Or better yet, start a topic about why you like counterfeit jerseys and show all the great examples of their high quality.

Basically, it's impossible to even make an argument with some of the stubborn people in this thread. A typical exchange goes as:

Person 1: If I can get a jersey for cheap, I don't care that it's illegal and I'm going to buy it.

Person 2: You're saying that there is no legal issue with buying counterfit jerseys, you are entitled to a jersey at a lower price, and doing things illegal isn't bad. It is also ok to kill people. That is exactly what you're saying.

Wow, that's so far off you have no idea.

BTW, one of the members on your 'side' is the one that started comparing one illegal activity to another with his, "well, you speed so you're just as guilty because you commit crime too."

But it really isn't. Every time I've posted in this thread my message has had the same general gist: If I can buy a jersey for less money from a China counterfit site, I don't care that it's illegal, and I'm going to do it.

The responses I get:

-You're claiming that you're entitled to a jersey at a lower price

-You're saying that doing illegal things is ok, so it's also OK to rob a bank

-You're saying there's no legal issue with what you're doing

^NO! I'm not saying any of that. "If I can buy a jersey for less money from a China counterfit site, I don't care that it's illegal, and I'm going to do it." - period. It's a simple as that. And a question that I have for everyone so against others buying one counterfit jersey: Why do you care? In what way will this affect your life? Yes, I know it's illegal, but it really can't be compared to murder or robbing a bank. If anything, buying a counterfit jersey is equivilant to smoking pot. Yeah, it's illegal, but why would it really bother one's neighbors?

And yes, I'm prepared for all of the angry and sarcastic responses that I'm going to get for this.

yes, because the smoke could come into my house and ruin my lungs

spacer.png

spacer.png

The problem is one can make an economic argument to justify any illegal activity.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The problem is one can make an economic argument to justify any illegal activity.

I could name a hundred things I feel are overpriced...including cars.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

went to the bears/broncos game on sunday and I was shocked to see the amount of counterfeit jerseys at the stadium worn by both sides...I honestly think 40-50% of the jerseys that were worn were total fakes with the absolute worst offenders being the m&n throwbacks that had about a 10% authenticity rate.

I knew fakes were out there and they had a share of the market but the nfl has a real problem on its hands, especially if they keep taking their prices up on replicas, fakes will outnumber legit product.

went to the bears/broncos game on sunday and I was shocked to see the amount of counterfeit jerseys at the stadium worn by both sides...I honestly think 40-50% of the jerseys that were worn were total fakes with the absolute worst offenders being the m&n throwbacks that had about a 10% authenticity rate.

I knew fakes were out there and they had a share of the market but the nfl has a real problem on its hands, especially if they keep taking their prices up on replicas, fakes will outnumber legit product.

Chicago ssems to be a hot bed for fakes with jerseys from the four major leagues.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

NO! I'm not saying any of that. "If I can buy a jersey for less money from a China counterfit site, I don't care that it's illegal, and I'm going to do it." - period. It's a simple as that. And a question that I have for everyone so against others buying one counterfit jersey: Why do you care? In what way will this affect your life?

Personally, I don't care. Not one bit. If people want to waste $50 dollars on a poorly constructed rag with bubbly crests, my advice is for them to knock themselves out. These people will never know the joy of owning the real deal nor will they ever appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into them (yes, to me jerseys are a work of art). Their loss.

Yes, I know it's illegal, but it really can't be compared to murder or robbing a bank. If anything, buying a counterfit jersey is equivilant to smoking pot. Yeah, it's illegal, but why would it really bother one's neighbors?

Not quite. Smoking pot doesn't harm anyone (including the smoker) which is why making it illegal is hypocritical and backwards. Supporting counterfeit merchandise on the other hand harms the bottom line of the company's making the real deal. You know, the products these boards are centered around.

Chicago ssems to be a hot bed for fakes with jerseys from the four major leagues.

That was actually in Denver, and I know exactly what he means. Same deal as I mentioned earlier when I was at the Bengals/Broncos game.

Here's a question from a purely economic standpoint; since we see so many knock-offs, doesn't that imply that the real thing is priced higher than the (sports jersey) economy can bear?

Personally I love jerseys and have a bunch, but it's difficult to justify paying $300 for a shirt, no matter how authentic it is. What would a more fair price be for an authentic jersey? They need to find the right price point that allows them to be more attractive to the buyer; I think the counterfeiters would have a tough time staying in business. Surely these things would still be hugely profitable even with a massive price cut.

Here's a question from a purely economic standpoint; since we see so many knock-offs, doesn't that imply that the real thing is priced higher than the (sports jersey) economy can bear?

Personally I love jerseys and have a bunch, but it's difficult to justify paying $300 for a shirt, no matter how authentic it is. What would a more fair price be for an authentic jersey? They need to find the right price point that allows them to be more attractive to the buyer; I think the counterfeiters would have a tough time staying in business. Surely these things would still be hugely profitable even with a massive price cut.

Can't that argument be made for any kind of theft, not just IP theft. There are a lot of things that I would like to have that are out of my price range, that does not mean that its ok for me to purchase them on the black market. Also, replicas are much less that $300, additionally, I have purchased many (litearlly dozens) of licensed jersey that are in great shape on the cheap through ebay.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Can't that argument be made for any kind of theft, not just IP theft. There are a lot of things that I would like to have that are out of my price range, that does not mean that its ok for me to purchase them on the black market. Also, replicas are much less that $300, additionally, I have purchased many (litearlly dozens) of licensed jersey that are in great shape on the cheap through ebay.

It's hardly jerseys that are knocked off. Watches, collectibles of all stripes, handbags, shoes and so on. There's a black market for every conceivable luxury good out there, and jerseys happen to be the one in our particular wheelhouse.

I think they're becoming more apparent because the reseller market (like eBay) is flooded with them, and that's where people go when they either 1.) think nfl.com prices are a rip-off, or 2.) forgo the main retailers altogether because their buddy told them about a great deal online.

I've made a variety of arguments in this thread, but in all honesty, I'm mostly coming to live-and-let-live. If you want to pay full price for jerseys on nfl.com, go for it. If you'd rather buy whatever you find on eBay, that's your right too.

At this point, I think it's incumbent on the NFL to react to the secondhand market; either by strongly policing eBay, or by adjusting its prices on its jerseys available online.

I'll also say that I'm not sure why anyone would take umbrage with "it's an economic argument," when it so clearly is. What you do with that statement is up to you -- I'm just stating that there is a basic economic issue at play.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

(spammy spam spam)

Oh man, in this thread, of all places.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.