College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

I don't understand this Grey Ghost deal. I know we have a few Illini guys here, so mind explaining?

A streak of fire, a breath of flame

Eluding all who reach and clutch;

A gray ghost thrown into the game

That rival hands may never touch;

A rubber bounding, blasting soul

Whose destination is the goal.

Red Grange of Illinois!

-- Grantland Rice, 1924

did the uniforms inspire the nickname? were the jerseys gray back then?

Grange got the nickname "The Galloping Ghost" because of this poem. I have no idea why he decided to describe him as a gray ghost though. I guess because the other team couldn't touch him?
And how fortunate for Nike--which searches for any and every little reason they can to shove unnecessary gray up into colorways that don't need it.

Seriously, a review is in order here: Oregon (obviously), Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Boise State, Syracuse (basketball-if silver counts), Miami just this past year...now Illinois. I know there's more that I missed but still...point holds.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full look at the uniforms. They really do bring back memories from that season, which turned around Oregon's trajectory as a program.

New-1994-Oregon-Throwback-Uniform-2.jpgNew-1994-Oregon-Throwback-Uniform-3.jpgNew-1994-Oregon-Throwback-Uniform-1.jpg

It sure would be awesome if these were their permanant home uniforms....I know it is wishful thinking, but this is a beautiful set. The only thing that could make this set be a perfect 10 is to have the same stripes from the helmet on the pants.

spacer.png

Full look at the uniforms. They really do bring back memories from that season, which turned around Oregon's trajectory as a program.

New-1994-Oregon-Throwback-Uniform-2.jpgNew-1994-Oregon-Throwback-Uniform-3.jpgNew-1994-Oregon-Throwback-Uniform-1.jpg

Are there any polls or anything among Oregon fans as to what they prefer most? Like which green, or any other color combination? They must love seeing this classic look, I'm thinking.

To nuordr: They had stripes on an earlier version of the uniforms but took them off sometime between 1991 and 1993. As for permanent uniforms, they just don't feel like Oregon anymore. They invoke a nostalgic feel for me but, Oregon and Nike have successfully branded the program as forward-looking and innovative so these feel better as being one-off commemorative uniforms.

To rtrich11: I don't think there's ever been a real poll done to see which uniform fans like, but it'd likely come down to their favorite Oregon memories, when they became a fan, or when they were a student at Oregon. Many fans like that they're breaking out throwbacks, but the newer sets have definitely gained favor since they're associated with the current winning era Oregon football is in right now.

The Gray Ghost crap is nothing more than an after-thought to justify falling victim to one of sport's worst trends. The Illini would have been in teal and purple if this administration was around in the 90s and given the chance. Just terrible.

But hey, at least that rebrand was about bringing consistency to the brand!

Trends will always exist. And as always, the ones that are executed well will likely stick around, and the poorly-executed ones will give way to the new trends replacing them. That's just how things go, and have always gone.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I was at first interested/worried to see how those sleeve logos would hold up when actually squished on the real player. But I went back and looked at pictures from their games and their sleeves stay pretty long.

Plenty of room for the stripe and logo. (Looking at you in the NFL, 49ers & Steelers...)

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

It sure would be awesome if these were their permanant home uniforms....I know it is wishful thinking, but this is a beautiful set. The only thing that could make this set be a perfect 10 is to have the same stripes from the helmet on the pants.

Now a days, it's wierd to see Oregon look... "normal".

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I don't understand this Grey Ghost deal. I know we have a few Illini guys here, so mind explaining?

A streak of fire, a breath of flame

Eluding all who reach and clutch;

A gray ghost thrown into the game

That rival hands may never touch;

A rubber bounding, blasting soul

Whose destination is the goal.

Red Grange of Illinois!

-- Grantland Rice, 1924

did the uniforms inspire the nickname? were the jerseys gray back then?

Grange got the nickname "The Galloping Ghost" because of this poem. I have no idea why he decided to describe him as a gray ghost though. I guess because the other team couldn't touch him?

B:TAS reference?

gray-ghost-batman-animated-series.jpg

Because I know of Red Grange and "The Galloping Ghost" nickname. Don't know where the GRAY came from...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I remember these uniforms being very mediocre back in the early 90's and they feel the same way now. I feel like every other high school in the 80-90's had sleeves with a stripe/logo combo and a helmet with 3 stripes running down the middle. As much crap as teams get for picking derivative designs straight out of the niketeam catalog these days, this ducks jersey was pretty typical of that era (high school, less so in college) except it was the russell or champion catalog back then.

Unless I'm missing something, those TAMU throwbacks aren't even close to historically accurate for 1939. The real uniforms looked like this:

3228772921_77d926be5a_z.jpg

Adidas being lazy again. Even more egregious is the fact that they have a template that could somewhat recreate those weird shoulder stripes while still making room for the Northwestern sleeve stripes:

sjsu_rogers_i.jpg

Of course, that would prevent them from pushing the TechFit tire-tread garbage on every team in every game.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I remember these uniforms being very mediocre back in the early 90's and they feel the same way now. I feel like every other high school in the 80-90's had sleeves with a stripe/logo combo and a helmet with 3 stripes running down the middle. As much crap as teams get for picking derivative designs straight out of the niketeam catalog these days, this ducks jersey was pretty typical of that era (high school, less so in college) except it was the russell or champion catalog back then.

This is the main reason why I'd never want them to go back to something like this full-time. It's just too ordinary and plain for what Oregon has done with their uniforms since switching to Nike in 1996.

This is the main reason why I'd never want them to go back to something like this full-time. It's just too ordinary and plain for what Oregon has done with their uniforms since switching to Nike in 1996.

oregon2.jpg

They looked good in the beginning of Nike's tenure, but it was downhill from there

Archived