New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

Your "demographics" are...well...ridiculous...

As they often are. No one who says "everyone from this age to that age thinks a certain way" is ever right about anything. At least not purpose. A broken clock is right twice a day.

It gets so old listening to people complain about everything the Browns do. I'm not dying you have to agree with everything but what exactly is the past they are connected to 15 years of losing. Prior to that it had not won anything in nearly 20 years.

You want to hang on to the Kosar Days. That's a loser mentality. Worshiping a team that lost th AFC Championship game 3 times. It was fun to watch but they still never won anything.

Time to let the past be honored in the old uniforms.

It's a new Era. If you don't like it, it's actually a perfect time to move on.

I for one am happy for the change.

Go Browns!!

What seems to indicate that this new "era" will be any different from the last fifteen years? Or the two decades before that? They still seem like the same bad football team to me. Only now they won't even be visually linked to the great teams of the past. They'll just have generic collegiate-esque nonsense. Woohoo.
What great teams ....1964? the 40's and 50's teams?

I'll even give you the 80's but even that was almost 30 years ago.

Leave the old uniform with the memories of heartbreaking loses in the AFC Championship.

They do seem like the bad football team. But hopefully they can turn it around.

And maybe the new uniforms can be a spark.

If wearing garbage unis is what it takes to win, I'm not sure I want to win.

Should've just changed the name back in 1999. This is an embarrassment to the Browns name and colors.

I mean... No.

The pathetic history of losing, failed draft picks, players with drug and alcohol addiction, constant rotation of front offices, mismanaged contracts, etc. is what is an embarrassment. A new color, a new wordmark and some new look jerseys are the LEAST embarassing aspects of the Browns organization.

So why not address that before redesigning the uniforms to symbolize a new era.

I mean, besides the fact that the ownership has just exited Federal investigation and currently looking into flipping this team for the Titans, therefore everything else related to it is frozen for some time to come.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It gets so old listening to people complain about everything the Browns do. I'm not dying you have to agree with everything but what exactly is the past they are connected to 15 years of losing. Prior to that it had not won anything in nearly 20 years.

You want to hang on to the Kosar Days. That's a loser mentality. Worshiping a team that lost th AFC Championship game 3 times. It was fun to watch but they still never won anything.

Time to let the past be honored in the old uniforms.

It's a new Era. If you don't like it, it's actually a perfect time to move on.

Another...well...dumb post that somehow still managed to make a good point. You're right, it's the perfect time to move on and that's exactly what I plan on doing.

Yep dumb post.

And Bye!!

I respect that you're willing to acknowledge the fact that it was a dumb post. Most people aren't willing to do that.

BB52Big.jpg

They'll just have generic collegiate-esque nonsense. Woohoo.

Because their previous uniform design was SO unique :rolleyes:

I still don't get why a larger-than-usual (for the NFL) wordmark is getting so much flak. Personally I hate the teeny tiny wordmarks in the NFL. I say either make them a little bigger or don't use them at all.

CLEVELAND is just too big I don't disagree with making them bigger than usual but that size just looks cheap...

Was it unique? Sure it used fairly stock football uniform elements but they were also instantly recognizable as the uniforms of the Cleveland Browns. You can't discount history, as much as some people might want to. Those uniforms were firmly associated with the franchise. So I'd say yeah, they were unique. You weren't going to mistake them for any other team.

As an aside, I find it baffling that some people think the team needs a rebrand. Yes, they've sucked for years. Despite that though? They have a tremendous amount of brand loyalty. Impressive when you consider the on-field product has been (and will remain) crap. Tossing that aside because NIKE! is a dumb decision from a branding standpoint.

I still don't get why a larger-than-usual (for the NFL) wordmark is getting so much flak. Personally I hate the teeny tiny wordmarks in the NFL. I say either make them a little bigger or don't use them at all.

As BBTV said, it's a look that is 100% associated with lower levels of competition. I said you can't just discard history in reference to the strength of the Browns soon-to-be-old look but it applies here as well. Different sports have developed their own aesthetic traditions over the years, ones that even the most progressive designs generally adhere to. The same can be said for the various levels of competition within a single sport. The large wordmark has never graced a NFL field before, and as such it just looks collegiate. It looks bush league.

The choice to go with CLEVELAND just seems like an attempt to pander to the "Cleveland is special, you wouldn't understand" mentality so many of their more obnoxious fans seem to have.

Now I said above that you weren't going to mistake the soon-to-be-old Cleveland Browns uniforms for any other team's look. The closest you'd get is Bowling Green. The key difference, at least to me? The Browns were always traditional whereas Bowling Green always gets a bit modern. So I see an orange, brown, and white football uniform with traditional elements? I think Browns. I see an orange, brown, and white football uniform with a collegiate nameplate, custom number font, drop shadows, and a potentially matte/satin helmet finish? My mind's going to jump to Bowling Green. Or maybe Clemson or Syracuse if they go with orange primary jerseys.

I think the bowling green argument is pretty flawed. No football fan or anybody who knows a darn about football is going to see the new Browns jersey on TV and think "Why in the heck is Bowling Gren playing the Steelers?" Two different levels of football. You could argue that these Browns jerseys would be better for bowling green and maybe that's what you meant and I am not reading it correctly but to say that they would be confused with bowling green is pretty ludicrous.

PS Can we save the big flame wars for tommorow? I need to get sleep.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Was it unique? Sure it used fairly stock football uniform elements but they were also instantly recognizable as the uniforms of the Cleveland Browns. You can't discount history, as much as some people might want to. Those uniforms were firmly associated with the franchise. So I'd say yeah, they were unique. You weren't going to mistake them for any other team.

As an aside, I find it baffling that some people think the team needs a rebrand. Yes, they've sucked for years. Despite that though? They have a tremendous amount of brand loyalty. Impressive when you consider the on-field product has been (and will remain) crap. Tossing that aside because NIKE! is a dumb decision from a branding standpoint.

As BBTV said, it's a look that is 100% associated with lower levels of competition. I said you can't just discard history in reference to the strength of the Browns soon-to-be-old look but it applies here as well. Different sports have developed their own aesthetic traditions over the years, ones that even the most progressive designs generally adhere to. The same can be said for the various levels of competition within a single sport. The large wordmark has never graced a NFL field before, and as such it just looks collegiate. It looks bush league.

The choice to go with CLEVELAND just seems like an attempt to pander to the "Cleveland is special, you wouldn't understand" mentality so many of their more obnoxious fans seem to have.

Now I said above that you weren't going to mistake the soon-to-be-old Cleveland Browns uniforms for any other team's look. The closest you'd get is Bowling Green. The key difference, at least to me? The Browns were always traditional whereas Bowling Green always gets a bit modern. So I see an orange, brown, and white football uniform with traditional elements? I think Browns. I see an orange, brown, and white football uniform with a collegiate nameplate, custom number font, drop shadows, and a potentially matte/satin helmet finish? My mind's going to jump to Bowling Green. Or maybe Clemson or Syracuse if they go with orange primary jerseys.

I think the bowling green argument is pretty flawed. No football fan or anybody who knows a darn about football is going to see the new Browns jersey on TV and think "Why in the heck is Bowling Gren playing the Steelers?" Two different levels of football. You could argue that these Browns jerseys would be better for bowling green and maybe that's what you meant and I am not reading it correctly but to say that they would be confused with bowling green is pretty ludicrous.

Who said I was talking about watching them on tv?

And with that, the "new" Browns will have destroyed the last bit of anything that linked them to the original Browns. Honestly, as someone who grew up loving the original team, I'm at the point where I wish this new team had never happened. To call this joke of a franchise the Cleveland Browns is an insult to the actual Cleveland Browns.

Y'know, I have to agree with you. I stopped being a true Browns fan (or one of any team, really) back when Fart Modell pulled his act. While I'd always been hopeful that the new Browns would provide Clevelanders with entertaining, winning football, I gave up on that hope several years ago. And with this rebrand, it goes from a train wreck you watch to one you just turn your head away from.

My guess is that some of the younger Browns fans see posts like yours and mine as just a couple of "old guys" stomping away in a huff because our team is doing something we don't like. But that's hardly the case. If anything, all the uniform change does is make me realize that, no matter how much of an effort I've made over the years, this new Browns team is not the Browns team I grew up with - and it never will be. Again, I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's just how it is. If I'm being totally honest, this version of the Browns could have been wildly successful from the start, and I still don't think I would have had any real connection to them.

None of this means I won't share my opinions on the new uniforms (that is what we're about here after all.) And I'll continue to ridicule the cult like devotion some of these people have to being a "Cleveland fan." I'll just be happy that I'm no longer one of them. B)

BB52Big.jpg

If wearing garbage unis is what it takes to win, I'm not sure I want to win.

Should've just changed the name back in 1999. This is an embarrassment to the Browns name and colors.

I mean... No.

The pathetic history of losing, failed draft picks, players with drug and alcohol addiction, constant rotation of front offices, mismanaged contracts, etc. is what is an embarrassment. A new color, a new wordmark and some new look jerseys are the LEAST embarassing aspects of the Browns organization.

So why not address that before redesigning the uniforms to symbolize a new era.

I mean, besides the fact that the ownership has just exited Federal investigation and currently looking into flipping this team for the Titans, therefore everything else related to it is frozen for some time to come.

I agree, 100%. If there were 2 doors, Door A is 10 years of success where an 8-8 season is the low point or Door B being great new logos and a great new uniform set and a new color added... then of course I'm sprinting through Door A. I think any sports fan would take Door A. But life isn't black and white... its mostly gray.

Despite what people say, I think there is definitively something to "Look good, feel good, play good" and I don't just mean in the sports world. If you are going out on a date, going to work, in a social setting, people tend to feel more confident when they are dressed well, groomed well, proper hygiene, and smelling nice. I think this translates to the athletic realm as well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think a new color or a new jersey will shave 0.10 seconds off a 40-Yard-Dash time or add 20 lbs to the Bench Press. But I think it can put more "pep" in the step of the players here. The players listen to the radio, watch TV, etc. they are not immune all the lamaenting of the Glory Years. I think there was a pressure associated that came with it. I think a portion of every player - even if its small - want to win for the city they play in. I think constantly hearing about the 60s, and the uniforms, and the colors, and the logos, and the helmet, and Bernie takes a toll. So maybe switching out the uniforms can help them sort of shed that weight.

I don't know. I'm just trying to find soemthing positive. There is enough negativity on this thread.

So, I was thinking about this orange number issue. Would anyone else like to see something similar to what Nike did with the Ohio State National Championship uniforms? Keep the front and back numbers brown on white and white on brown, but have the TV numbers orange?

The players listen to the radio, watch TV, etc. they are not immune all the lamaenting of the Glory Years. I think there was a pressure associated that came with it. I think a portion of every player - even if its small - want to win for the city they play in. I think constantly hearing about the 60s, and the uniforms, and the colors, and the logos, and the helmet, and Bernie takes a toll. So maybe switching out the uniforms can help them sort of shed that weight.

That's a Reebok-level of rationalization.

I wonder if that's why the Packers performed so poorly in the 1980s - the weight of those uniforms, reminding them of the great teams of the past. And I further wonder how they could possibly win a game today wearing them?

The players listen to the radio, watch TV, etc. they are not immune all the lamaenting of the Glory Years. I think there was a pressure associated that came with it. I think a portion of every player - even if its small - want to win for the city they play in. I think constantly hearing about the 60s, and the uniforms, and the colors, and the logos, and the helmet, and Bernie takes a toll. So maybe switching out the uniforms can help them sort of shed that weight.

That's a Reebok-level of rationalization.

I wonder if that's why the Packers performed so poorly in the 1980s - the weight of those uniforms, reminding them of the great teams of the past. And I further wonder how they could possibly win a game today wearing them?

Yes, its a rationalization. 100%. But again, were not dealing in absolutes or objectivity. What's good for you insn't necessarily good for me and vice versa.

I'm just trying to be positive. Believe me, I just want the team to win before anything else. I'm sick of a new QB every other year, sick of new GM/President every 4 years, sick of hearing every month about the Browns organization doing something bone-headed.

I guess Cleveland has just become another yuppified mess. Oakland is sounding nice right now.

Yuppified Mess? Did the Patriots become a yuppified mess? The Seahawks?

It's an update to a uniform and you want to switch teams.

Go root for the Raiders then.

Archived