Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 3 at Staples tonight will be a fun experiment. The Sharks haven't done well on Figueroa at all this season and even though Nieto's play has been a wonderful surprise, I'm skeptical this new found center depth the Sharks usually don't have can outlast the physicality the Kings usually bring. I know the team can lay into Quick for multiple goals, that's not an issue. I want to see how they come back after a tough loss, like the infuriating one in Game 2 last year, I believe it was, when Niemi gave up two late goals, one of which was that ridiculously well-placed deflection off the pads.

I noticed this season in games where the Kings are humbled by the opposition, at least I can take solace that they outshot and outhit their opponent. But here we are entering Game 3 and the Kings have taken boneheaded penalties, screwup on defense to allow 3-on-1 or 3-on-2 Sharks breakaways, and can't clear the puck out to save their lives. And this doesn't even address their anemic power play and the fact that San Jose has outshot LA, 74-60 combined, in the first two games.

Not saying Niemi isn't capable of being a wall in this series, but LA isn't even getting proper shots to begin with because of San Jose's harassing stick-checking. And it's sad for the Kings when you know "the Sharks can lay into Quick for multiple goals," since his goaltending is usually the silver lining for the team's paltry scoring.

Two trends come into play tonight: (1) LA lost the first two games in their quarterfinal series last year, then won Game 3 and eventually the series. (2) The road team between the Sharks and Kings hasn't won a playoff game between the two since Joe Thornton ended their 2011 series in overtime. It's up to the Kings to hold those facts serve; it's up to the Sharks to break them.

As a Wild fan, I think it's a shame that they've managed to derp their way into the playoffs the last two years. They have just enough talent to be a middle-of-the-pack NHL team regardless of how weak-minded they are.

It's particularly too bad this year as Matt Cooke, who is a scumbag, was able to take a player out for 4-6 weeks just to be an :censored: (which thankfully is probably only a round).

I should be happy about last night's win; any Wild fan knows that it was totally the type of game they were being set up to lose. But the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Now someone from Colorado probably needs to take Parise out. And if that happens, well that's what they get for signing Cooke.

I can't stand Cooke honestly, and I said something last night about him playing another game against Colorado just so McCloud to dish out some equal justice, but I really don't believe Roy would have any of his players take out someone from Minnesota, nor would he tolerate it.

I may be seeing this from a skewed perspective, but it seemed to me like the Wild were going out of their way to try and hurt Avalanche players last night.

They were definitely playing more physical, (which they need to do to neutralize Colorado's speed) but, with the exception of Cooke, I didn't see any intent to cause injuries.

The hit on Beniot really looked like more than just a good hit. They even mentioned it on TSN that it appeared there was an intent to injure and/or was intentionally more violent than necessary.

I'll admit that I need to familarize myself with the Stars again. I was so used to guys like Modano, Ott, Morrow, Lehtinen, Turco, Ribiero, Zubov, etc. Probably because the Stars had settled into mediocrity over the past few years that I didn't quite pay as much attention to them, plus the

fact that they switched divisions. I know I'm not as familiar with some of the guys mentioned like Roussel and Garbutt.

Also it appears Colin Fraser could be in the lineup for Toffoli tonight.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Well. Montreal got on the board quickly.

That's why I can't get that upset over the screwjob in the last game. Bad call? No question about it. Still...it's been clear who the better team has been this series, and it's not Tampa. So them getting knocked out in quick order doesn't exactly reek of injustice.

Yeah, I'm not going to deny that for a second, but then again I haven't been the only fan noting this all series long on the Tweeter and everything. Montreal's 5v5 play has been much better than expected. Michel Therrien's line matchups have been better, which plays hand-inhand with that 5v5 play excellence of their's.

Oh, and that cardinal rule about not losing games where you score four goals against Carey Price...

spacer.png

Aw, Blue Jackets :(

Yeah, if you ever needed proof that sports isn't fair, just remember that the Yankees lost to the freakin' Diamondbacks six weeks after 9/11.

To the joy of Mets fans everywhere.

--

Jim Hughson looks nothing like how I thought he would.

Bruins looking dominant to start off this game. Up 2-0 on Detroit. Please don't let your foot off the pedal, fellas.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

He is not a good goalie and, quite appropriately, his Tampa career will end on the heels of giving up a back-breaking goal.

He wasn't the biggest problem in this series; far from it, in fact. I'm not sure Ben Bishop playing would make a huge difference, but who really knows. It is pretty shocking to me how much Montreal has dominated this series, it really is.

spacer.png

It's kind of disappointing that Bishop could've made this a far more interesting series but as it is the Habs and their infinitely superior uniform appear to be well on their way to quashing the dreams of many of a Bolt fan this night.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It's kind of disappointing that Bishop could've made this a far more interesting series but as it is the Habs and their infinitely superior uniform appear to be well on their way to quashing the dreams of many of a Bolt fan this night.

Am I the only one that loves the Habs home jerseys but think their away jerseys are bland, uninspired, and that they should go back to the short-lived away jerseys from the mid-40s when they actually matched the home ones?

Am I the only one that loves the Habs home jerseys but think their away jerseys are bland, uninspired, and that they should go back to the short-lived away jerseys from the mid-40s when they actually matched the home ones?

I've had that same fantasy for a long time now. In fact, one of my first posts on the boards was a concept pretty much of that.

But would he really have? Lindback has allowed a few rather soft goals, yes, and I'm not just trying to blindly defend him here because he has irritated me many times over the past two seasons, but Montreal has been in full control when it comes to 5v5 play. You wouldn't have expected this given the regular season totals for the Lightning and the Habs, and then when looking at the games between the Lightning and the Habs where Tampa Bay was the better team win terms of puck possession, but Game 1 has been a harbinger of sorts in this series. Montreal dominated that night despite the close scoreline. They dominated in Game 2. Game 3 may have swung on the no-goal nonsense but it's not as if the Lightning played very well that night either. Comparatively speaking, sure, but a certain saying about tallest midgets comes to mind here. And they've once again been completely outplayed tonight as well.

Lets also keep in mind that Ben Bishop has been playing through a right wrist injury since January, an injury that may well require surgery this off-season. He's been comparatively pedestrian since then. It just seems like claiming the Bishop factor here would be too easy for Tampa fans to make. The fact is this team wasn't prepared for the difference between regular season NHL hockey and playoff NHL hockey. It happens, but it's disappointing to be certain. I've long lost count of how many neutral zone turnovers have been made in these games. It's pretty disconcerting that the Lightning are en route to a sweep when Thomas Vanek and Max Pacioretty have combined for one goal in four games.

spacer.png

It won't happen because they have too much history with their standard white jersey (70+ years and counting). And the reverse red was only worn for about 3 years in the 40s. It was pretty much a one-off.

It would make no sense to retire the standard white for the one-off.

Archived