NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

Doesn't relocation override the regular uniform change timetable?

Blue-blue-white-blue and blue-white-blue-red as the ideal Texans uniforms, correct?

Those are my favorite of the Texans combos why they do not use the red socks is beyond me.

I was thinking if you relocate there is a waiver on the rule but does anybody really know besides the shield.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's a matter of the regular uniform change timetable so much as the merchandise train's long lead times. The 2015 uniforms are already well in the pipeline, retailers are placing orders, and there's nothing new for the Rams in the catalogues.

I don't know if the NFL could make an exception for the Rams even if they wanted to.

I don't think it's a matter of the regular uniform change timetable so much as the merchandise train's long lead times. The 2015 uniforms are already well in the pipeline, retailers are placing orders, and there's nothing new for the Rams in the catalogues.

I don't know if the NFL could make an exception for the Rams even if they wanted to.

With the deadline in February, I'd bet the NFL, New Era, Nike, et al. have a "Plan B" for Rams uniforms.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If the Rams did decide to move out to LA, nothing is stopping them from continuing to wear their current uniforms. They aren't city specific in design or logos. If they did move I could see them updating their uniforms, but playing a season or two in their current sets might be an easy way to transition with the merchandise.

If the Rams did decide to move out to LA, nothing is stopping them from continuing to wear their current uniforms. They aren't city specific in design or logos. If they did move I could see them updating their uniforms, but playing a season or two in their current sets might be an easy way to transition with the merchandise.

Exactly. See Tennessee for reference.

With the deadline in February, I'd bet the NFL, New Era, Nike, et al. have a "Plan B" for Rams uniforms.

Yeah, it's called "they wear their old uniforms for the first season in LA."

Besides, the opening of a new stadium always a nice time to drag out new uniforms.

I like it.

thankgiving-logo-articlev4-112414.jpg

I especially like that, despite their continuing to call it the "75th Thanksgiving game presented by Blue Cross Blue Shield if Michigan", they didn't include a sponsor logo in this.

I'm pretty sure it'll either be this...

Or this...

I hope it's the former, but the Packers have invested so much in pushing the "Acme Packers" brand name recently that if I had to put money on it, I'd bet on the latter.

Just wanted to add one more possibility. Even though I'm quite sure they'll go with something blue, here's a Lambeau-era throwback from a championship year that'd be pretty interesting.

1936_GreenBay.png

1935dec8_JournalPhoto.JPG

After seeing this, I think I'd rather see something along these lines than using the navy/gold

Yeah, it's called "they wear their old uniforms for the first season in LA."

Pretty sure that's part of Plan A. :)

Exactly. See Tennessee for reference.

There wasn't nearly as much money in jersey sales as there is today. Back in 1997-98, replica jerseys were what, $40? The faster they change uniforms, the faster the money will change hands. I probably wouldn't be too anxious to buy an LA Rams jersey if I knew they were just going to change them next year.

It would make more sense for the Rams to stick with their current look for the first couple years in LA (if they move). Most people will buy merchandise right away, so you'll sell plenty of their current look. Then if you change after, say, two years to royal and yellow, people will want to buy the new stuff.

It's similar to the Cavs and the return of LeBron. They're most likely going to keep their current look for a few years and sell a boatload of jerseys, then change and sell a ton more.

It would make more sense for the Rams to stick with their current look for the first couple years in LA (if they move). Most people will buy merchandise right away, so you'll sell plenty of their current look. Then if you change after, say, two years to royal and yellow, people will want to buy the new stuff.

It's similar to the Cavs and the return of LeBron. They're most likely going to keep their current look for a few years and sell a boatload of jerseys, then change and sell a ton more.

By this theory, no team should change right away when they move cities.

I think you're underestimating the frugality of the public, especially in a town that has plenty of other sports options and the fact the Rams really weren't the trendy team when they were there in the 90s.

I think "Los Angeles Rams" merchandise in St. Louis navy and metallic gold will be met with a "meh" response. I'd probably guess that even the league office wouldn't want its new LA team - a much-ballyhooed achievement in itself - in old and borrowed clothes in one of the trendiest cities in the world. You don't want to move a team to LA and then pretend you don't give a :censored: about the image of it.

By this theory, no team should change right away when they move cities.

I think you're underestimating the frugality of the public, especially in a town that has plenty of other sports options and the fact the Rams really weren't the trendy team when they were there in the 90s.

I think "Los Angeles Rams" merchandise in St. Louis navy and metallic gold will be met with a "meh" response. I'd probably guess that even the league office wouldn't want its new LA team - a much-ballyhooed achievement in itself - in old and borrowed clothes in one of the trendiest cities in the world. You don't want to move a team to LA and then pretend you don't give a :censored: about the image of it.

Given that licensed sports apparel is an industry doing over $4 billion in retail sales domestically, I think it's safe to say thats a consumer base that spends freely and does not have frugality in mind. I think the frugal sports fans were basically priced out of the marketplace 5-10 years ago. Using top tier ncaa programs and top tier football clubs as a benchmark where the supplier (nike/adi) has significant control over redesigns, you see a design window that's running 1-5 years. 1 year seems extreme but I think the 3-4 year window for an american pro franchise to redesign uniforms would be ideal for the suppliers/licensees bottom line. Back to the cleveland issue they absolutely are doing the smart thing by using LJ's return to sell the current design and once that momentum wears off you change up the design and generate some new buzz around that.

From an LA standpoint the rams are an absolute crap shoot as to whether or not they will take. They didn't leave under great terms and weren't relevant in social since the late 80's. Other than the nil die hards looking to root for any local team I just don't think many people will be excited. The thing is that LA already is a saturated nfl city. You are guaranteed 4 games over the air every sunday and there are multiple bars and mini supporter clubs for the transplants. Snoop is a steelers fan for crissakes. There really is not much upside to relocating to social unless the owner is planning on selling their franchise quickly due to revenues being so heavily tied to the tv contract. I still go back to my idea as to what would make the most sense for the league from an attendance publicity point of view is to do an LA version of the London series at a renovated Coliseum. But that makes too much sense and doesn't come with a relocation fee for the other 31 owners to pocket.

Archived