MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Interesting idea making the rounds -- asking the Orioles to wear "Baltimore" on their home uniforms when they return home on May 11th (IIRC). I'm curious to see if it gains any traction.

Not sure about that one. Self-inflicted tragedies aren't quite the same as oustside attacks or natural disasters.

"Let's burn down our city and then have a city pride movement" rings a little hollow.

Cops kill a kid, rioters burn down a pharmacy, and a nation mourns the pharmacy.

The O's should wear a patch for the CVS, or go all out and wear a jersey that pays tribute to CVS. :P
A drugstore jersey would suit Chris Davis perfectly.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stuff like this is also why sleeveless jerseys fell out of fashion:

morneauoaklandhomer-722255.jpgDSC-7561.jpg

Redundant sleeveless jerseys and fake sleeveless jerseys (regular jerseys with colored sleeves) are exactly why this trend needed to go away. Hopefully, if vests ever do come back, they'll be done with a proper cut (where more than just the sleeve on a set-in sleeve jersey gets removed) and in a more tasteful fashion, like so:

Roberto-Clemente-3-450x429.jpg1961Reds.jpg

I honestly think that the red sox might look better as a pullover team.

perhaps make this a new home alt and replace the, blue?(or is it red)

You talkin' about pullovers ? You talkin' about pullovers ? You talkin' about pullovers ? Then who the hell else are you talking about pullovers to ? ... you talking about pullovers ? Well I'm the only one here. Who the :censored: do you think you're talking to about pullovers ? ? Oh yeah? OK.

Listen, you :censored:ers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the :censored:, the dogs, the filth, the :censored:. Here is a man who stood up against pullovers.

All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk :censored:, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets. I go all over. I take people to the Bronx, Brooklyn, I take 'em to Harlem. I don't care. Don't make no difference to me. It does to some. Some won't even take :censored:s. Don't make no difference to me. Just don´t get in my cab wearing a pullover.

not to discount the rest of that game, but the camera catching Fisk's wave is a huge part of the mythos here. Can't be understated how big an effect that had.

Indeed, and that only happened because the cameraman was too distracted by rats around him to do as he was instructed and follow the ball.

And if I am not mistaken, helped start the trend of having a camera focus on the players' reactions during big moments

Go A's!

Stuff like this is also why sleeveless jerseys fell out of fashion:

Redundant sleeveless jerseys and fake sleeveless jerseys (regular jerseys with colored sleeves) are exactly why this trend needed to go away. Hopefully, if vests ever do come back, they'll be done with a proper cut (where more than just the sleeve on a set-in sleeve jersey gets removed) and in a more tasteful fashion, like so:

Not to mention, Baseball video games never get the vest look right ever. It's always just colored sleeves and not an actual vest over a shirt. Same goes for pullover jerseys, those aren't ever represented right either, instead being regular button up jerseys.

bSLCtu2.png

The Sox looked really good tonight overall. The guys wearing plain red stockings instead of the classic style (such as Pedroia, Porcello, Sandoval, and Uehara) did not look as sharp. The few minor things I spotted were the modern B on the cap instead of the actual 1975 style, no red batting helmets to match the set, no blue undershirts, and left-handed pitchers did not have patch on right sleeve.

20150505-BW-TAM-PG-19.jpg

Lee-Bill-1975-PitchingAction03.jpg

These socks need to come back with the regular uniforms as for the Orioles.

Sure. Why not. We've already done just about every other awful combination.

Not quite! Saving the camo front panel for next year.

(...I'll get my coat)

Don't forget the version where the logo is placed in a star and the bill is a series of red and white stripes.

Red Sox are wearing '79 throwbacks tonight vs, Rays. Wondering if the Rays will pull out their fauxbacks too.

I think it's 1975 throwbacks. (1979 is when they abandoned the pullovers. The Bucky Dent game was thus the last game in which they were worn.)

1975 is the year they won the World Series over the Reds with Carlton Fisk's extra inning home run in Game 6, or so you would be led to believe if you watch the usual canned highlights of that series. :P

Tell me about it. I always felt it was ridiculous for the Fisk homer to be so celebrated knowing that his team lost game 7. With the hypothetical of the Cubs being in the world series too far fetched, I can't imagine another team that would get such love and historic declarations over a moment that was ultimately meaningless.

The only other thing which is in the same category (and not anywhere close) was Lebron James' last second shot to beat the Magic in game two of the 2009 Eastern Conference Finals. Until James finally won a title, ESPN showed that shot in literally every Lebron highlight. It was talked about as if it was one of the greatest shots of all time, and in the end it accounted for one of his team's two wins that series.

endy_chavez.jpg

Mets fans talk about this catch like it was made with two outs in 9th of game seven with the Mets up by one. Instead, it came in a game they lost.

Hell, they even have a plaque for it!

800px-Endy_Chavez_plaque.JPG

I fell asleep before I got a chance to respond to the discussion, but I was going to bring up Endy Chavez. But I was thinking about it more with a feeling of regret. It was an all time great play, but due to the outcome of the game, it doesn't seem that it gets the recognition it deserves.

The middle three games of 2001 get plenty of recognition, but that's just because of the surrounding circumstances.

Sometimes, though, if you don't have wins, you hold onto what you got. For a long time, Fisk's home run was high point of the Sox history on television. They didn't exactly have highlights of the 1910's.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well now that the Sox have won a few World Series titles since then, Fisk's homer is ultimately meaningless. Heck, David Ortiz's heroics in the 2004 ALCS were more important than Fisk's 1975 World Series blast. If any great play needs more attention, it's gotta be Bill Mazeroski's walk off, game 7 home run in the 1960 World Series. That is, without a doubt, the best home run in MLB history.

The Buccos should celebrate that moment by wearing this uniform for a day:

Bill-Mazeroski.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

I see that the Royals are wearing "Los Reales" for 7/25 (and today too I think?) and that's a shame. They don't need to add "LOS" to the uniform. "Reales" would have looked just fine.

This has been a pet peeve of mine ever since the Hispanic Heritage jerseys came out. Why do they have to put "Los" in front of the name? "The" is not in front of the name on the regular jerseys.

True. My theory is that putting Los was the only way for team like Los Mets and Los Marlins to do the hispanic thing and thus it stuck with teams that didn't need it just because the Los "looked" spanish, if that makes any sense. But ur right, its dumb and ugly.

Tell me about it. I always felt it was ridiculous for the Fisk homer to be so celebrated knowing that his team lost game 7. With the hypothetical of the Cubs being in the world series too far fetched, I can't imagine another team that would get such love and historic declarations over a moment that was ultimately meaningless.

The only other thing which is in the same category (and not anywhere close) was Lebron James' last second shot to beat the Magic in game two of the 2009 Eastern Conference Finals. Until James finally won a title, ESPN showed that shot in literally every Lebron highlight. It was talked about as if it was one of the greatest shots of all time, and in the end it accounted for one of his team's two wins that series.

endy_chavez.jpg

Mets fans talk about this catch like it was made with two outs in 9th of game seven with the Mets up by one. Instead, it came in a game they lost.

Hell, they even have a plaque for it!

800px-Endy_Chavez_plaque.JPG

That's a good example. That play has gotten a lot of undue love (obviously a great play), but it's not close to the level of the Fisk homer.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Twins hat giveaway.

https://www.facebook.com/Twins/videos/vb.45991614840/10153266362114841/?type=2&theater

They are giving away a Twins cap in Rays colors. At a game against the Rays. Brilliant!

I made the post above about the Twins having "cap night" with a giveaway of a Twins cap with Rays colors.

Vs. the Rays...

They just keep on doing it...

At least it's not against the Reds.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't get this. I wouldn't want an Orioles cap in Rays colors . . . or Red Sox colors . . . and so on . . . and so on . . .

. . . not to mention that there will be a stadium full of people wearing the colors of the road team.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Not as bad an idea as the White Sox going with the colors royal blue and white in 1969-70. "Chicago was always a Cubs town herp-a-derp" was not true, as both teams alternated as top dog back then, but it was still a terrible idea when their market competitor had been wearing royal blue for the past forty years.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm a sucker for vests and only if it's done right. The Rox have a horrible one. What the DBacks had from their WS run was nice. Heck, even the Rangers alternate gray vest was nice. I like vests to be kept either white or gray. No colored vests please.

Josh_Hamilton_2008_(2).jpg

Go A's!

So the Cubs, who had been using a very nice "enhanced" version of their logo that looked stitched, debuted a new Twitter avatar today...

fWN6KzgC.jpg

It's the regular logo with an extra outline. To be honest, I just don't get it. I'd actually prefer that they start stripping away from the primary, not add to it.

EDIT: What they had been using.

chicago-cubs-logo-feature-300x225.png

Archived